phpBB 3.2 Rhea?

Discussion in 'Software & Hosting Discussions' started by Myers, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Myers

Myers Master Reviewer! Package Team Forum Sponsor

+285
    Has anybody experimented with or used the latest phpBB version: 3.2.0 Rhea?

I think its pretty similar to 3.1.10 except the updating of some images.

2. Empire

Empire FP Legend

+468
    Is there any security patches updates?

3. Lord Saru

Lord Saru Community Team Member Community Team

+104
    That update hardly has any cosmetic updates. I havent tried it though. I couldnt find anything in the changelog.

4. Tornado

Tornado Former Team Member

+184
    Emoji!
    Thanks to our brand-new BBCode parser your users can now make use of the entire Emoji keyboard when posting on your board. From a lovely grin to a pink unicorn, Emoji can liven up all posts on your board!

PHP 7 Support
    PHP 7 works twice as fast as previous PHP versions. We have modified phpBB to now completely support this new release of PHP (both 7.0 and 7.1) so you can enjoy all these performance advantages.

Clever Quotes
    We've improved the quoting system to show a link to the quoted post and post author. The full time and date of the quoted post is now also available to get all the information in one glance.

Easy Updating
    With our brand new installer updating will be easier than ever in phpBB 3.2! Upload a single folder to your board and all your files will automatically be replaced.

reCAPTCHA 2.0
    With phpBB 3.2 now including the industry standard by using Google's newest and strongest API, you will have an even better protection against spambots than before.

Improved Notifications
    With us completely refactoring the notifications system in phpBB 3.2, notifications now work faster and more efficiently. This change also reduces the posting time to be almost instantaneous.

FontAwesome Icons
    Using CSS driven icons from FontAwesome, we now have more intuitive icons with retina quality all across phpBB as well as considerably improving the speed of page loads.

Symfony 2.8
    Having introduced Symfony components in our last release, phpBB 3.2 has now upgraded to be built on Symfony 2.8 allowing us to use their latest cutting-edge developments.

Read More

5. Empire

Empire FP Legend

+468
    Come on IPS is way ahead of time :) but good updates

6. Tornado

+184
    phpBB is free and open-source, IPS is neither free or open-source... You cannot compare them.

7. Cierra

Cierra Community Team Member Community Team

+69
    I've used a demo board with Rhea installed. Like you stated not too many changes, but I like the addition of the clever quotes and support of php7.

8. Thomasss

Thomasss FP Legend

+45
    I had my hopes up for this update, then they released it and I just couldn't bring myself to like it. I thought they'd surpass Xenforo or IPB in some instances, but they're not. MyBB 2.0 is coming out soon that's already surpassed phpBB and it hasn't even be released yet, and Xenforo and IPB have supported php 7 for a while now, let alone has already had the features they finally got around to improving a little bit.

• Wizard Wizard x 1
  9. Tornado

+184
    Like @Thomasss MyBB 2.0 is coming out, I agree that it will definately surpass phpBB. SMF 2.0 is coming out soon too, I bet that will be better than it.

10. Myers

Myers Master Reviewer! Package Team Forum Sponsor

+285
    Couldn't of put it better :p Honestly there wasn't many changes and though PHP 7 support is nice, loads of software have it already.

Can't wait for MyBB 2! Hopefully it'll be better :D