Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
As a fellow webmaster, I probably do not need to explain the possible horrors and implications of upgrading your favorite web software to a newer version. There are plugin updates to worry about, designs and templates that might become unusable, and if you hired a cheap web developer it’s always possible they didn’t follow the official guidelines for modifying the core system. However, they are not only worth it, but sometimes desperately needed.

One of the most common upgrades for a software like WordPress, XenForo, or another online system to power your community or content, is a security patch. These are smaller upgrades that don’t always affect the system as a whole, but they can still bring their own slew of issues if the software is developed by a less organized or negligent development team. For the most part though, upgrading your website to the newest security patch is not what you need to worry about – It’s the larger upgrades that can be tedious, especially when they...
Continue reading...

Lämmchen

Resident
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
I love your articles. I don't know how you do it but you're always posting about a topic that's on my mind :D

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I love your articles. I don't know how you do it but you're always posting about a topic that's on my mind :D
I am reading your mind! I'm glad you enjoyed them :)
There will be more to come!

I am not quite sure what I will do for the next one yet, but I might write an article that provides an example of how to market forum content around the web to increase traffic & sign ups.

Reactions: Lämmchen

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
This is a great article. Given that FP just went through this long drawn out process of upgrading XenForo versions, this definitely hits close to home.
That was the main motivation for this article, so im glad you had a chance to read it :)

In hindsight, what was the biggest challenge that could've been easier if you had known everything you do now?

Reactions: Cammeh

Cammeh

Assistant to the Regional Manager
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
That was the main motivation for this article, so im glad you had a chance to read it :)

In hindsight, what was the biggest challenge that could've been easier if you had known everything you do now?
I'd say most issues were on the developer side of things. We had agreed on a goal of having everything completed on March 1st, and we reached that agreement in mid-January. You'd think a month and a half would be plenty of time to get things where they need to be. When it was all said and done, the conversion didn't even occur until mid-May, over two months behind schedule. I'd have issues where I wasn't even getting responses to the support ticket we had open during this process.

I definitely know what company to avoid in the future. That's for sure.