2017 Official Bracket & Off-Topic Chat

Popularity is how you win such a contest as this but it is not the standard for what makes a good forum or website so I wouldn't get too worked over winning or losing this contest. As long as your site or forum accomplishes what it sets out to do then it's a good site/forum no matter how often or not it wins a contest such as this one.
Yeah, that's kinda why I didn't bother to put Sakuga in there. Maybe I should have for the lols though. XD.

I do click links before voting. I just won't say who I voted for, that way no one can get mad at me for making an unbiased decision haha.

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
Sep 5, 2008
SW Florida
FP$
With the way this contest has been going, I'd say it's been full of surprises and close battles so you might have done better then you might think you have. Well I suppose there is always next time. I'd say no one should be getting mad at anyone for how they voted. No one here is entitled to anyone's vote as it is up to each person to decide what the standard is for who gets their vote. No one should consider their site to be worth less because they lost a battle nor should they feel they are better then anyone else for winning a battle. That's the way I see it at least.

Ash

Seasoned Veteran
Yeah, that's kinda why I didn't bother to put Sakuga in there. Maybe I should have for the lols though. XD.

I do click links before voting. I just won't say who I voted for, that way no one can get mad at me for making an unbiased decision haha.
You should have. It looks quite nice. I would have voted for it over a few forums currently in the tournament ;)

Reactions: Shannon Apple

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
Due to one of the battles ending in a tie, it might take a tad longer for the next round to start. It will happen tomorrow; probably around 5 PM EST or so.

Pennywise

Madly Diligent
With the way this contest has been going, I'd say it's been full of surprises and close battles so you might have done better then you might think you have. Well I suppose there is always next time. I'd say no one should be getting mad at anyone for how they voted. No one here is entitled to anyone's vote as it is up to each person to decide what the standard is for who gets their vote. No one should consider their site to be worth less because they lost a battle nor should they feel they are better then anyone else for winning a battle. That's the way I see it at least.
I totally agree with you on that issue. I think it's totally up to each person to decide how they want to vote for a particular site. If my site was the one they voted for then I appreciate their vote. But if my site wasn't the one they voted for then that is fine too. I've never gotten mad at anyone for how they voted or for not voting at all. If you just get mad then it just destroys the fun of the contest in my eyes. I've always enjoyed the contest regardless if I've won or not.

• Agree
Reactions: MasterA and John

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
Just in case anyone was wondering, the formula for the save round is pretty simple: whichever website receives the most votes in their losing battle (excluding the final four) is brought back into the tournament. This round lasts 48 hours, then we move onto the championship. Good luck everyone who's still in! :D

Moonface

Up-and-Coming Sensation
I'm curious as to if there is an actual point to the save round, since despite getting chosen based on the most votes, those sites still lost, and therefore are highly likely to just lose again. Especially when both of the current save rounds happening are repeats of older battles. If anything, wouldn't it have been better to pit the saved sites against the remaining sites they didn't face off with, just to keep things fresh?

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
I'm curious as to if there is an actual point to the save round, since despite getting chosen based on the most votes, those sites still lost, and therefore are highly likely to just lose again. Especially when both of the current save rounds happening are repeats of older battles. If anything, wouldn't it have been better to pit the saved sites against the remaining sites they didn't face off with, just to keep things fresh?
I never saw this post until now, so sorry for not replying to it earlier.

Anyway - the point of the save round is to allow sites another chance at what's been voted on as the best websites. If the forum that won the first time is truly better, they'll win again without issue. :)

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
If the forum that won the first time is truly better, they'll win again without issue. :)
Are they truly better? Or are they simply able to scrounge up more members/friends/family members/etc to vote? I wouldn't necessarily say that if a certain site has won a round that it's better than the won it's defeated.
Everyone obviously has a different view of "better"; however, if you can round up 50 members from your forum, I'd say that you have a really good community. If you have that form of support from your community, you'll most likely have a successful forum, as well.

TDK

Paragon
If the forum that won the first time is truly better, they'll win again without issue. :)
Are they truly better? Or are they simply able to scrounge up more members/friends/family members/etc to vote? I wouldn't necessarily say that if a certain site has won a round that it's better than the won it's defeated.
Everyone obviously has a different view of "better"; however, if you can round up 50 members from your forum, I'd say that you have a really good community. If you have that form of support from your community, you'll most likely have a successful forum, as well.
You are absolutely right in suggesting that if you have that type of support, you must be doing something right. A lot of it comes down to genre as well - or at least I believe so. But as you've also mentioned, everyone has a different view of "better", and I just wanted to share my two cents on how I took your post to be phrased :D

Reactions: John

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
Sep 5, 2008
SW Florida
FP$
Since everyone has a different view of better board/site along with votes being made out of board/site loyalty which you have nothing to counter with means the results regardless of what they are has no real bearing on the quality of your board/site and shouldn't be taken as a way to measure how good your board/site is. The important thing is that your board/site is satisfying and serving the needs of the people who come by every day to partake in the discussions/read the articles/etc. going on at the time. That's how you measure what a good board/site is and isn't.

Having members from your website joining and voting is an good cool thing to do, It tells that the website has high good community with it's amazing members.

Still, Only one website that had so much support is WWE and glad to see that happening and pleased for them however that being said what makes it unfar for some that those members from WWE joined made there 10 posts to able to vote then after they voted my guess that we won't see them around again until something pops up regards to another battle next year. Most members that voted for my sites in the battle are those that did vote for real :) I have not made any news/topics on my websites regards to the battle. I had not had one member that known from my sites. That tells me that they are voting for style, content, layout, built structure and whatnot.

Just Kevin

Familiar Face
Mar 25, 2017
FP$
Having members from your website joining and voting is an good cool thing to do, It tells that the website has high good community with it's amazing members.

Still, Only one website that had so much support is WWE and glad to see that happening and pleased for them however that being said what makes it unfar for some that those members from WWE joined made there 10 posts to able to vote then after they voted my guess that we won't see them around again until something pops up regards to another battle next year. Most members that voted for my sites in the battle are those that did vote for real :) I have not made any news/topics on my websites regards to the battle. I had not had one member that known from my sites. That tells me that they are voting for style, content, layout, built structure and whatnot.
You are most likely correct @Empire there are a bunch of our (WWEForums) members that joined and will most likely not post again until next year for the battle... but there are some.. myself, WWEF's owner, and several others that will continue to post.. maybe not every day but I know, speaking for myself, that I will be back here at least once every other day to read and probably post a few times.. I enjoy this site, but I'm not super talkative. On WWEF I am just now coming up on 10k posts after over 3 years on the site.... so I don't post a lot. Regardless of all that.. those people who did make the 10 posts required, per official tournament rules, did vote fairly, not unfairly whether you see them anymore for the next year or not.

As far as your site goes.. it's awesome... and if you had been on the other side of the bracket I honestly believe we'd be facing you in the finals. I hope you continue to build on what you have and next year.. it may just be a different outcome :)

Edit: and just to let you know... every battle you took place in up until the battle against WWEF.. I voted for you. :)

Migi

Phantom Thief Lv. N00B

It is rather strong to call some votes 'unfair' and 'unreal'. The line between an objective vote and popularity vote is always blurry in this kind of event, but at a certain point, does it still matter? Both components are important in defining a good or successful website, as the previous posts have talked about. One can still refuse to vote for a website even if the owner asks for it if he doesn't think the website worth the effort because fundamentally, the voters are free and the votes are subjective.

• Agree
Reactions: Ash and Solidus
@Just Kevin I know you be active, not saying all that joins, some will like it became active others nope. What I do like it from this battle that FP had allot of new members and each of those members posted over 10 and so if there was 10 new members that made 10 posts makes 100 posts with me posted with them 200 posts :p FP has been more active this year regards to the battle.

@Migi Aren't saying fair or unfair just saying my point sometimes people thing I'm argument since I lost that's not the case. Anyway turns out that WWE is no longer in it @John How come?

Ash

Seasoned Veteran
So @John are we going to get an explanation of what rules WWEF broke to be disqualified?
The only two rules that WWEF could have broken are these:
  • You may NOT create multiple accounts or pay other to create multiple accounts for you. If you or your members create duplicate accounts to vote in SBM, they will face a disqualification from the tournament and further moderation action.
  • All members MUST have 10 posts before voting in a poll. If your website continuously refers members here who do not follow our Board-Wide Guidelines, your forum will risk disqualification from the tournament.