A No Specific Topic Niche Forum(Similar To My Old One)

D

Deleted member 44219

Hey there. So as you may know that I started a forum called 'SocialME'. It was a forum where anyone could talk about pretty much anything and there was no specific topic for the forum. Sadly, due to the lack of actual sign-ups and accounts that had confusing descriptions and only posted in General Discussion while linking to a random site, I had to shut it down.

What I'm thinking of is doing the same thing again but making it even better. Considering the name of my old one: 'SocialME', it sounds pretty bland I want something that sounds a bit better. But if there's really no other names then I will bring back the SocialME website. I am also thinking of starting it up with some other people(Around 1 - 3 others).

As I said, this new forum is going to be a lot better than SocialME(Unless I bring that back but it will be better). I want to focus on growing the forum and making sure everything is secure.

If you've got any suggestions for what could be included, what it could be named then just reply with them. If you'd like to help with the start-up of this forum then PM me and we can talk. Thank you.

fantanoice

Madly Diligent
My suggestion is don't make a "No Specific Topic Niche" forum. It has been done to death and you'll have a hard time standing out and finding an audience. Additionally social media is way more convenient and efficient for general chit chats so you'd have to compete alongside that. You can make it work but it is very difficult.

If you go niche you'll have an easier time standing out and setting up SEO. Of course, with niche you're advertising to less people than a general site. It's a matter of finding the right balance.

If you're stuck for topic ideas, think about your own interests and skills. What are things you like to talk about? Chances are other people will want to talk about them too. Google around, see what competition you have. If there's lots of competition, what can you do differently? Can you go even more niche? Maybe your forum can be a combination of genres? Perhaps going more general is a way to stand out?

Have a think about it.

D

Deleted member 44219

My suggestion is don't make a "No Specific Topic Niche" forum. It has been done to death and you'll have a hard time standing out and finding an audience. Additionally social media is way more convenient and efficient for general chit chats so you'd have to compete alongside that. You can make it work but it is very difficult.

If you go niche you'll have an easier time standing out and setting up SEO. Of course, with niche you're advertising to less people than a general site. It's a matter of finding the right balance.

If you're stuck for topic ideas, think about your own interests and skills. What are things you like to talk about? Chances are other people will want to talk about them too. Google around, see what competition you have. If there's lots of competition, what can you do differently? Can you go even more niche? Maybe your forum can be a combination of genres? Perhaps going more general is a way to stand out?

Have a think about it.
Well, that is true. It’s just that a lot of things that I’m interested in are mostly taken(gaming, tech, programming, music). I guess it could be successful if I executed it perfectly. I’ll wait for other responses and do some more researching. Thanks for the response.

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator
"General" forums have been made for many years and it is pretty saturated. You would have better luck with a forum that is oriented towards a certain subject but possibly have a subforum that can talk about your other subjects briefly, but not have the whole forum geared towards it.

Before creating a forum, you need to have full plans on what you are wanting to accomplish and have a list as well as a deadline. That way, as you complete things, you can mark them off the list and you can visibly see yourself hitting the benchmarks and accomplishing your goals, which in turn keeps you motivated because you can see progress. You should have your forum name, niche, forum names and descriptions, logo, rules and procedures, and et cetera all pre-typed and planned out.

Never release a forum that is blank with no content. This is where many many people mess up. They complete their layout and then release a new forum with zero content and expect people to flock in like a herd of birds on black friday for a mixer 95% off. It's good to have a few hundred topics already going on the forum so people can get engaged as soon as they see the content. Make sure the content is engaging too! We have no care in the world for answering topics such as "What kind if your dog??", "What are you listening to?", "Post your picture". These topics could be arguably spam depending on your niche and will sure fire push new members away because these topics are completely boring and have no real value.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 44219

"General" forums have been made for many years and it is pretty saturated. You would have better luck with a forum that is oriented towards a certain subject but possibly have a subforum that can talk about your other subjects briefly, but not have the whole forum geared towards it.

Before creating a forum, you need to have full plans on what you are wanting to accomplish and have a list as well as a deadline. That way, as you complete things, you can mark them off the list and you can visibly see yourself hitting the benchmarks and accomplishing your goals, which in turn keeps you motivated because you can see progress. You should have your forum name, niche, forum names and descriptions, logo, rules and procedures, and et cetera all pre-typed and planned out.

Never release a forum that is blank with no content. This is where many many people mess up. They complete their layout and then release a new forum with zero content and expect people to flock in like a herd of birds on black friday for a mixer 95% off. It's good to have a few hundred topics already going on the forum so people can get engaged as soon as they see the content. Make sure the content is engaging too! We have no care in the world for answering topics such as "What kind if your dog??", "What are you listening to?", "Post your picture". These topics could be arguably spam depending on your niche and will sure fire push new members away because these topics are completely boring and have no real value.
I never thought that General Forums would ever exist. I’ve always started a forum that’s blank and add features overtime. I think if I were to start a forum like this again, I’ll add features and spend more time on development while it’s inaccessible. The only problem I have with forums are Names, Logos and Themes. Those are always trouble to me. My old no niche forum, SocialME, it’s name look bland to me and I couldn’t think of a logo. Thanks for this advice.

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator

I never thought that General Forums would ever exist. I’ve always started a forum that’s blank and add features overtime. I think if I were to start a forum like this again, I’ll add features and spend more time on development while it’s inaccessible. The only problem I have with forums are Names, Logos and Themes. Those are always trouble to me. My old no niche forum, SocialME, it’s name look bland to me and I couldn’t think of a logo. Thanks for this advice.
I can understand why "SocialME" didn't work for a general forum. The name to me sounds like a social media type site. So if I were to click on it and see a forum when I am expecting to see something along the lines of facebook, of course I'm going to click off of it. I don't recommend using a name that would give people the impression of a social media feel. We all know that social media is the main competitor to forums. We have to fight back.

D

Deleted member 44219

I can understand why "SocialME" didn't work for a general forum. The name to me sounds like a social media type site. So if I were to click on it and see a forum when I am expecting to see something along the lines of facebook, of course I'm going to click off of it. I don't recommend using a name that would give people the impression of a social media feel. We all know that social media is the main competitor to forums. We have to fight back.
Heheh. Yeah, it does sound like it’s for a social media site. That’s the problem that I’m stuck with just now. A name.

I was looking at a list of forums and for some reason, phpBB was one of them. I was thinking of something like SocialBB but users might also mistake that for a Social Media site.

Last edited by a moderator: