Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Creating a community website or discussion forum can be incredible, and there’s nothing better than embracing a community that you yourself started from scratch. However, there are many reasons why community forums are failing – especially in 2020. That’s why we would like to share 3 golden rules to follow as a webmaster to manage a successful community forum. Whether you use the famed software XenForo or a free solution such as MyBB or phpBB does not matter. These guidelines will help you transform your ideas on paper into an incredible online family of high quality discussions and friendships. A forum has a much better chance of being successful with a clearly defined sense of purpose that drives people to the site, features that embrace the community, and good modern designs that bring the forum to life and allow it to be easily useable by people across the world on a variety of devices.

Have a Defined Purpose & Interesting Niche

It’s 2020 and many website ideas have...
Continue reading...

Reactions: Cam!

Cam!

Administrator
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I'm sure @Malcolm loves the plug. :p

I definitely agree that it is crucial to have a clear/defined purpose. You see to many forums trying to do a little bit of everything, and end up failing. If you hone in on a very specific niche, you're more likely to find a base, especially in this day and age.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I'm sure @Malcolm loves the plug. :p

I definitely agree that it is crucial to have a clear/defined purpose. You see to many forums trying to do a little bit of everything, and end up failing. If you hone in on a very specific niche, you're more likely to find a base, especially in this day and age.
I had to plug him in - he cares a lot about his forum and it's one of the only ones to catch my attention in the last 5+ years reliably. I don't post there too often, but I come back enough to see that he's doing things to keep others coming back tooo.
Exactly - niche is SO important! Of course, a general forum or another more generalized forum for a niche (like all sports instead of 1 sport) can still succeed, but it's harder. I think having a defined purpose is a major part of achieving things online, and this goes for other industries too. Someone on Etsy can be a generic "knitter" or perhaps they can knit really creative dinosaur pillows. Whatever it is, a niche will usually help someone stand out in almost any industry whether it's e-commerce, blogging, forums, or even just good ol' social media.

Thanks for this article 🙃
You're welcome :) Tune in again soon for another article. This article was actually sitting in drafts for a while as a 7 things to do type of article, but I slimmed it down to 3 and published it.

• Love
Reactions: Malcolm and tdbnz

Malcolm

Paragon
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Very well written @Ghost, and I appreciate the kind words! :)

Having a clear/defined purpose is very important, espcially in this day and age. It's okay to have other discussions; however, you must keep that primary purpose above all others. With that said, we have recently improved our focus by taking advantage to what XenForo 2.2 offered in to terms of new thread types.

But I would also like to stress the word "determination", stay determined with your community. As of any community there is a leader, and people look to you as a becon of hope. If you're actively participating, engaging with members of that community will most likely keep coming back.

Again, @Ghost I really appreciate the kind workds!