Advertising in real life?

Joshua Farrell

Papa Smurf
Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
Not forums persay, but there was a MMORPG that I used to be on that was pretty successful with bringing people to the site, by advertising at different places like Libraries, fast food places and the like.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
I thought about doing that many times but I thought well!! the websites are worldwide and and really need to send cards, flyers to other people around the world. Can be costly way if you aren't going to get anything back.

I rather do stickers and t shirts or mouse pads with the website logo and whatnot that people will love to use :)

Golddisk

Retired Staff
Feb 26, 2014
www.referraldirectoryforum.com
FP$
I tried putting some flyers up around my college for my site when I first got it up and running. I didn't really notice any increase in traffic during that time, so I don't think it was successful.

It is definitely something that can work better with games and service type sites better. For forums it can sometimes work but you need to target the niche your forum is in. So for example, if it is a book/story/writing/reading forum you would want to try and get your flyers in libraries and bookstores.

Blanketing a whole area with flyers (say with direct mail for example) isn't going to get a good return on your investment because you will need target people specifically interested in your niche if you want to get their conversions.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I did this a lot in college. When I had Nashville Web Services going, i printed off hundreds of fliers and went around taping them up everywhere. I didn’t get permission from Student Development to put the fliers up, so I kept seeing my fliers get taken down. I’d have to put them up in tactical locations so that no one would take them down.

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I fell for this web store scam in my early 20s. Well, I was inexperienced, so I didn't understand that it would take marketing - and real marketing takes money! In that case, I put flyers around every grocery store, gas station in Appalachia. O.K., it was fun, kind of like a Boy Scout project - but nothing, of course.

Well, this did introduce me into web marketing which is passion now.

HolisticStorm

Package Team Member
Package Team
May 2, 2021
FP$
Back when I ran forums (about ten years ago or so), I was always far too timid to tell people I knew in real life about them. I guess that I felt that they would find it silly.