Alien Babble

l3ta

Acquaintance
Oct 4, 2018
FP$
Site Name: https://alienbabble.com
Date Opened: Sept 22, 2017
Review Requested (Quick/Advanced): Community Feedback
Notes: AB is a site dedicated to the subject of: aliens, ufos, conspiracies, the paranormal & more :)

edenwax

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 24, 2011
ed3n.me
FP$
I found that this thread on your forum summed up some of my opinions on the site.

But I'll sum up my main critiques: (as a web designer/developer)
1. The logo, while nice, doesn't seem appropriate for the type of site. I was expecting Futuristic/Alien/UFO/Paranormal related..
2. The splash page is really cool and all, but very dated. Also clicking that music icon scared the ever living bajeezus out of me. :p
3. The forum theme is very out-dated. From the web 2.0 design, the background, footer image(which is also nice by the way!).. but it all just screams 2009. Is it a custom theme or pre-made? I recently tried to start an XF-based forum and I know that finding a good theme, let alone making one, can be very tricky. I'd be happy to give you some design ideas if you're interested though!
4. I'd utilize sub-forums to condense the forum a bit. There are so many different boards and categories, it's kind of overwhelming for newcomers. Also lots of scrolling!
5. I think the name is solid, even if the sites not just about aliens. It's refreshing to see something a bit more original on here.

That's all for now. Keep it up! I'd love to see this place get popular. :)

Reactions: l3ta

l3ta

Acquaintance
Oct 4, 2018
FP$
Oh wow! Thank you for your review, @edenwax. The site is certainly a work in progress. At least I upgraded from an 80s-90s forum model to a 2009 in your review lol.The dark theme is Omni by PixelExit with some customizations. When XF 2.1 is finally released in the coming weeks, I will consider trashing everything and starting fresh and anew. Any examples of wut you guys think AB should look like is appreciated :)

Oh wow! Thank you for your review, @edenwax. The site is certainly a work in progress. At least I upgraded from an 80s-90s forum model to a 2009 in your review lol.The dark theme is Omni by PixelExit with some customizations. When XF 2.1 is finally released in the coming weeks, I will consider trashing everything and starting fresh and anew. Any examples of wut you guys think AB should look like is appreciated :)
What > Wut. (I mean, the correct word for "wut" is "what.")
AB should look similarly to AlienSoup. While the woman art is great and all... You need to reflect the "alien babble" name, which is what @edenwax was trying to say. You can still use the woman in some capacity, like putting her on top of a alien space ship, or something. Or use her as a secondary mascot of some sort, like for introducing new features, new contest, etc.

And yes, the design seems outdated - and not because of the skin, but because how you implemented the style. The BG is fine, but as long as you know how to make that BG forward thinking. The BG seems something out of 1996, again what edenwax was trying to say.

You don't need to trash most of the ideas, all you need to do is make the design feel right.

EDIT: I do understand what you were trying to go for; the Area 51 feel. However, first impressions are everything. Your footer? Keep that. That's exactly how it should be done. Thing is, the first thing users see is "Alien Babble" and the logo. That's all edenwax was trying to say.

Last edited:

l3ta

Acquaintance
Oct 4, 2018
FP$
Thank you for your review, Carlos X. Your useful suggestions will help me decide wut needs to be discarded or kept for the next iteration of AB :).

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
Feb 23, 2011
FP$

Your Official Review is In Progress!

Thank you for requesting our services. I have tagged your thread and will finish an official review in less than 5 days. In the meantime, you will receive informal feedback from other reviewers and members at Forum Promotion. Once your official review is completed, you will be free to ask questions and receive feedback so long as your website remains open. You will also be able to request another review in thirty days after this Official Review is completed.

edenwax

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 24, 2011
ed3n.me
FP$
Sorry for the delay! Here's your free basic review. :)

First Impressions:
As you probably read on my original response that I found the splash page a little old fashioned. The music button should have a disclaimer of some sort because I spooked myself again with it playing volume at full blast haha...

Aside from that, the forum looks alright. The logo, footer, and forum theme don't really go together very well in my opinion. The spacey background has grown on me, but the logo is so.. out of place, and the forum theme looks outdated. Not only that, but the contrast between your board titles(harsh white) and your board descriptions(dark gray) is really intense. I tested this on a few different monitors of different types and it made the descriptions hard to read on all of them.

The site does perform fairly well for being as image heavy as it is. I actually really like your use of individual node icons. Its something I haven't seen in a long time but I think it works well for this kind of a forum.

Just a minor criticism, but I like to use site logos to go back to the homepage. This is kind of hard to do on your forum because of the flip effect you've got going on.

Poor

Site Structure:
Structure wise, per my last criticism, there are just too many boards on the main forum page. There are so many different boards that it's overwhelming to look at. Options are good, but having to scroll as much as I do, on a 1440p monitor no less, is kind of a pain. You should re-organize the forum and utilize sub-forums to shorten the main forum board structure. It would make the forum easier to navigate, feel less cluttered and help your load times!

I do like the side bar features you've got as well! I wish Recent Posts/Latest activity is something we'd have here on FP!

Okay

Originality:
After all of its shortcomings, this is a website that, for better or for worse, screams originality. I can say with certainty, even with other forums using the same base theme, there definitely aren't any sites that look like Alien Babble. I think if this gets fleshed out properly you could put Alien Babble on the map! Also, it's got a sweet and original name! There's a lot of sites posted on here that have such generic names(thingforum, thingboard, thingcommunity) and its so refreshing to see something original like Alien Babble.

Great

The thing I liked the best: Originality
The thing I liked the least: Too many boards on the main forum

Overall Thoughts:
I honestly believe AlienBabble.com could be an amazing community for Paranormal discussion. Does it need some work? Sure. But it's got so much potential and originality that it could really go somewhere if its steered in the right direction. I honestly hope the admin takes my concerns into consideration, because I'd love to see this place become the place it deserves to be. I know I'll definitely be signing up. :)

Official Rating:

Review this feedback

l3ta

Acquaintance
Oct 4, 2018
FP$
Awesome! I will definitely implement some changes. We'll get a new logo more in tune with the topics addressed. The intro tune has been modified, so no more startling scream. The style is up to the developers. I will have wait and see wut they release for XF 2.1. Thank you for your great review, eden wax :).