All major TV networks in the US have dark themes for website

Jason76

Madly Diligent
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
Some don't like dark themes and see them for gaming only - but all the TV networks in the US use them, minus CNN and Fox.

Well, I suppose it's due to the video showing up better - but then again, Fox and CNN don't have dark themes.

https://www.foxnews.com

Well, are these good choices for themes?

Reactions: joycoding

Elli

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Jan 20, 2019
ellimccale.com
FP$
Very notable difference among these examples: CBS, NBC, and ABC's main websites are functioning as streaming services. Similarly to Netflix, they've implemented a dark theme to improve user experience (no one wants to be blinded by a light theme after watching a TV show in low light). To stream a show, sign in with your cable provider information.

CNN and Fox, on the other hand, are functioning as news websites, which is a different market with different usability concerns. Paragraphs of text, such as articles, are more readable when the text is dark and the background is light. Standard UX best practice.

So I wouldn't really lump these all in together. They're serving different purposes.

Cameron.

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I have not noticed this before, but you can understand why these television providers that offer online streaming are going with dark themes. Given that more and more content providers are implementing their own streaming services, we are probably going to see more dark themes going forward