American Horror Story Fansite

Discussion in 'Archive: Completed / Rejected Reviews' started by Aaron, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Aaron

Aaron You will never know my secrets.

+117
  2. Kino

Kino Captain Awesome. Retired Admin

+30
    Your Topic has been Accepted!

Thank you for requesting feedback. Your topic has been approved and will remain in this forum until the website closes or the topic remains inactive for an extended period of time. You will receive informal feedback from reviewers and other members, but on your request, you will not receive an official review. Your 50 FP$ will be deducted shortly.

3. Kino

+30
    Sorry no one has posted yet. I guess I'll be the first.

- I really like the logo. I like the AHS is actually from the TV show's logo. The fans is creepy and you hit it spot on because the show is very creepy. Nice work :great:

- Maybe in the big black banner at the top you can have some sort of background image? Maybe a scene from the show, a creepy mansion, etc. Something to just spice the site up a little bit.

- Also, is there anyway you could change the light gray background into something with a design (i.e. FP's forum background). I think it could give your site some depth it really needs because it's a bit plain looking.

Other than that, your content is hot and you're doing a nice job. Just some design changes might help you out.

[user]Twisty[/user]

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Paragon

+0
    I guess I'm second place here, lol.

I stated in one other thread about your logo. I really like it. You did a great job with that. I like how the white and red go together as well as the mirror effect. As for the theme I think you could use a little design to spice things up.

As far as content goes. Impressive. It looks like you've put a lot of work and time in to this and it really shows.

Navigation around the site is very easy. Kudos for that as well. I like how you have the options at the top where you click and get to something immediately. Anyways. I'll stop there. Short version. You're off to a great start and I really commend you for that. I am impressed. :)

5. Aaron

+117
    The problem with that is there is no background for the content. So whatever I set for the background the text is on top. So I would need to find a decent font color.

6. Aaron

+117
    I've done some minor updates.
    Once the episodes air and I watch them each episode will get it's own review. And hopefully once I go back to the show from the start each episode in all four current seasons will have reviews.

Just going to take a bit of time.

7. Kino

+30
    Re-review approved as per:

8. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell All Hail Master Yoda! Community Team Retired Admin Forum Sponsor

+235
    Your Review is In Progress!

Thank you for requesting feedback. I have tagged your thread, and will finish an official review within at most 72 hours. In the meantime, you will receive informal feedback from other reviewers and members at Forum Promotion. Once your official review is complete, you will be free to ask questions and receive feedback so long as your website remains open. You will also be able to request a re-review 14 days after this review is completed.

9. vini_Alphanine

vini_Alphanine New Arrival

+0
    Fantastic . I liked the website.This American Horror story of Lady Gaga

10. Aaron

+117
    Only one more week :heart:

11. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell All Hail Master Yoda! Community Team Retired Admin Forum Sponsor

+235

American Horror Story Fansite
    http://ahsfans.net/
    Review by Joshua Farrell ([user]JF[/user])

[​IMG] First Impressions
    As I first opened your site, I was surprised to learn that this was on a TV show. I seriously didn't know that there was a TV show dedicated to various American Horror Stories. And as such, perked my interest to dig into your website.

First thing to note, it did take about a minute to load all of the images and the video on the front page. My suggestion for that, would be that of seeing if you can find a way to get the images to cache a little bit quicker, that and the load for the youtube trailer tends to get first time visitors to site and wait for the site to load, or just to exit. Those two things might help the first time loading, if you can get them to load faster somehow (caching, and probably get the trailer to load only when you scroll down).

And as for first impressions on the site, you have a good amount of content to be seen for the first time visitor, so that they don't feel like they are overwhelmed by what they are seeing. Also, you don't have content splattered all over the place, that would normally come with a fan based website on something. I have seen a good number of fan sites, that just have way too much stuff, that makes everything look ugly.

And I love the color mix for your site. You get a good scoring for this. :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG] Site Structure
    Your site structure is simple, which I like. Can't go wrong with a simplistic way of having things displayed. I love that you were able to find a good theme that has a good combination of colors for what the fansite is about.

I love how you have the not much in the sidebar, and how you have the cast gallery setup, though if I were to make an immediate suggestion, if you are going to have affiliates and a little bit of advertising, having it in the sidebar under the image that is there, would be a good location for any affiliates and advertisers to be placed. That would allow them more exposure to those who may be visiting your site.

Also, I recommend formatting the footer, so that the copyright info and the Terms of Use & Privacy Policy were in the same location, so that it would be easier to notice both of them.

Last but not least, I am sure you can do this, but it probably would be worth it, if you put an additional 5 pixels in-between the sidebar and the main content. The sidebar image seems to be a bit too close to the main content as I am looking through the side, which is making it distracting.

[​IMG] Spelling & Professionalism
    So far as I can tell, you have been pretty good on the spelling on your website, which is a plus for me! Though if I had to suggest something that you could work on though, is that of having more articles on the website, and the length of those articles.

I believe that the future success of your website, would come if you had more articles on the show, and longer length articles. Having more than a couple of paragraphs per article, and more articles on the show itself, will help search engines pull your website higher in the rankings, because there is actual content for it to rank.

My suggestion would be to attempt to get articles on your site, that are between 300 and 600 words on the average. Any site cannot go wrong with fresh content that actually allows one to develop a community on the site, even if it is just a community around commenting on the articles.

Also if you can, I would suggest looking into going into a relationship with the TV Show Provider, and see if you can republish some of their Press Releases for free, so that you have something official from the show to use to help drive traffic to your site. Being able to republish some of the news releases will help verify your fan-site as the go to place for anything and everything American Horror Story, other than the TV show itself.

Final Remarks
    I am sure that if you work on doing your best to work on some of the above suggestions, like adding more articles with more content to them, that your fansite will gain traction, and get the activity that you probably want for it. Good luck!​

Your Score

Good luck with your website! :)

12. Aaron

+117
    Thank you JF. Yeah, I will contact FX as they also produce another show called Scream Queens. I'll look into contacting them.

As for the site content there will be longer articles for reviews of each episode.

Right now most articles have videos and the video is the strong point.

13. Kino

+30
    Cash has been Deducted!

Thank you for using the Forum Promotion review service. We have deducted 100 FP$ from your account in exchange for conducting a Standard Review. You can request another review in 14 days.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Kino

+30
    Accepted and approved. Your topic will be unpinned on 10/27/15.

15. Kino

+30
    Your Review is In Progress!

Thank you for requesting feedback. I have tagged your thread, and will finish an official review within at most 96 hours. In the meantime, you will receive informal feedback from other reviewers and members at Forum Promotion. Once your official review is complete, you will be free to ask questions and receive feedback so long as your website remains open. You will also be able to request a re-review 30 days after this review is completed.

16. Kino

+30

AHS Fansite
    Review by Kino

[​IMG] First Impressions
    [note]========== BEGIN - First Impressions ==========[/note]
    I'm very impressed right from the get go. The site looks clear, professional, and it's attractive. The logo is nice and everything seems to be laid out in a thought out matter. I can clearly see what you are offering me and what you like to talk about. Great work.
    [note]========== END - First Impressions ==========[/note]
    Excellent

[​IMG] Design Quality
    [note]========== BEGIN - Design Quality ==========[/note]
    I really like your design. When I think of AHS, your site's design comes to mind perfectly. The black and white is normally really plain, but when you think about the time period that the show takes place in and take all of that into consideration, the design is nice.

I think I mentioned this before in your other review and you said it wouldn't be feasible. It would be very cool to try and get a background image under your banner. Also, is there a more HQ picture you could get for your banner? I know it's big, but I think if you type in AHS HQ pics on Google, you might be able to find something really HD that could give a nice high quality banner.
    [note]========== END - Design Quality ==========[/note]
    Good

[​IMG] Business Aspects
    [note]========== BEGIN - Business Aspects ==========[/note]
    Since you're a blog I'll try to focus some good details here for you. Especially since it's an advanced review.

First, maybe you should look into placing some ads on the site for some revenue generation. As annoying as ads are, if you find some place to put them, you can actually generate a little bit of revenue that could help offset the costs of your domain and hosting per month. Just something to look into. I know Google Adsense has a great program.

Second, how is your page rank and Google analytics doing? Make sure you are submitting your URL to search engines and really working on your SEO. That's the only way to really advertise and market your site. I think another good thing you can do is to join other sites that are AHS themed, and post links in the signature area as well. Just don't break the rules on other sites and beware of their guidelines.

As for now, great work. I'd love to see some stats to see how many clicks/views you are getting. :)
    [note]========== END - Business Aspects ==========[/note]
    Good

[​IMG] Originality
    [note]========== BEGIN - Originality ==========[/note]
    Obviously your originality is very good. You have a good niche that many people are obsessed with right now. I never personally got into the show, but for example my sister did. I would definitely try and keep your content purely original.

My one suggestion here is maybe start posting some fan theories and original content. I think that is the way to get users. Maybe try to clarify things that happened in the show on your blog so that when people type into Google, "Why did AHS end this way or that way" you can be right at the top with your links getting tons of clicks, and then eventually adding revenue if you add some ads.
    [note]========== END - Originality ==========[/note]
    Good

[​IMG] Site Structure
    [note]========== BEGIN - Site Structure ==========[/note]
    I think your site is structured fairly well. I would make the Episode 1 and Episode 2 links on the right bold. Since that's the current season on air, you really want to advertise what is in those links. You could even make them a little bit bigger if you think it looks professional. I would definitely make them bold though.

Your posts are a little sporadic. You go from October 7th, to October 18th, and then October 21st. Try and be consistent with when you are posting. I think you can make yourself a schedule and stick to it. Also, brainstorm ideas of stuff you want to write about. A good way is always carrying your phone and when an idea pops up just jot it down in your notes app on the phone. That's what I always did when I was blogging, just constantly thinking of ideas and writing them down so I never lacked content.
    [note]========== END - Site Structure ==========[/note]
    Good

[​IMG] Spelling & Professionalism
    [note]========== BEGIN - Spelling & Professionalism ==========[/note]
    Your spelling is fine, but let's talk about what is professional when taking into account a blog.

I think your blog posts are way too short. I think if you are going to be reviewing episodes, which you kind of do with Chutes and Ladders and Checking In. They seem very short. Blogs aren't supposed to be super long, depending on genre, but for your case, give a little more insight on topics. I like the news you post, but maybe that should be a totally different section, or you can add titles to your blogs. Something along the lines of *BREAKING NEWS* *NEWS* *REVIEW* etc. I think it always help sort out your content for people. But please make your posts longer. You don't really have much content other than that. You should definitely increase the length and add some deeper content. Sentences such as "I really liked this episode," just don't suffice. It's like when we were in school. Use descriptors, long sentences, and evidence as to why. Plus posts is where you can build theories and all that and lead into more blog posts.

One more note I just thought of, you can link to other blog posts within your blog to get more views on posts. For example, in the John Wayne Gacy post you said he was in a prior episode or season, if you have a blog post about him, you can tie them together by saying something like "Read more about Twisty here."
    [note]========== END - Spelling & Professionalism ==========[/note]
    Average

Final Remarks
    So overall, you have a really nice site which I've stated before. I tried to get a little deeper with a second review of your site. I think I hit some good points for your consideration to help you out. Let me know how everything goes.​

Biggest like about the website?: Originality, creativity, good niche
    Biggest dislike about the website?: Lack of content
    What could I do to make you (the Reviewer) join my website?: Post fan theories and posts that can really stir conversation well

Your Score
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Kino

+30
    Cash has been Deducted!

Thank you for using the Forum Promotion review service. We have deducted 400 FP$ from your account in exchange for conducting an Advanced Review. You can request another review in 30 days.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. Aaron

+117
    I pay a company to do all the page rank and search engine stuff :)

Thanks MM :)

19. kingcool52

kingcool52 Seasoned Veteran

+53
    I like your logo and header. It's really interesting and obviously goes with your niche topic. There's not much else to say really but I think maybe you should just concentrate on adding a bit more content so that returning users get something interesting instead of just having to close the site as they have already read everything on there.

20. Aaron

+117
    I've had to put the project on hold. Got someone interested in doing the reviews for me - just need to get money side sorted.

I am getting too busy with my web design though it is a great project.