Android phone with good battery life?

Discussion in 'Computers & The Internet' started by Lämmchen, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Lämmchen

Lämmchen Up-and-Coming Sensation

+84
    I have an older model Samsung S3 galaxy phone and the battery has never been good. In fact, I'm on my 3rd battery now and it is acting up so I am returning to my first battery until I get a new one.

I don't play games on my phone and really rarely use the phone except to text and do FB messenger with relatives. Yet, my battery dies early on in the day. This last one was at 47% within 3 hours of unplugging it from the charger.

So what kind of cheap android phone has a long battery life? I live in the US and have ATT.

2. 22_22

22_22 Madly Diligent

+29
    I have a Samsung A5 2017 and I personally think the battery on it is amazing. It cost me around £350 though, so depends on what you are willing to pay. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lucky!

Lucky! sudo rm -rf / Retired Admin

+606
    I have a Note 9 and it runs me $30 a month on my phone bill. It's pretty common these days to pay for the phones via installment and not up front.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jerlene

Jerlene Collecting FP$ Administrator

+624
    My Samsung Galaxy S8+ is pretty good on battery. It stops apps running in the background so the battery lasts longer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lämmchen

+84
    It's good to know that the newer Samsungs don't have this battery issue!!

While I hunt for my next phone I bought another battery on Amazon. I hate when Prime isn't actually speedy delivery like you would think. This delivery won't be here for another 9 days. Yeesh.

6. Jerlene

+624
    Are you from the US? Go to any Office Depot Officemax to get a battery. I believe the older Samsungs are only $25 or something.

7. Lämmchen

+84
    Yes, I live in the US. Amazon had the battery for around $8 with free shipping so I opted to go that route. I looked through my past orders and saw that it's been a year and a half since I had ordered a new battery so maybe I'll get some good life out of this new one once it arrives?

8. Jerlene

+624
    A year and a half sounds a little defective, but understandable.

9. overcast

overcast Reputable

+37
    Have you checked out Xiaomi brand? They seem to make decent phones with battery life.

10. Lämmchen

+84
    I think I saw one of those listed on Amazon. I'll have to go back and read the reviews. Thanks!

11. Elli

Elli Reputable

+55
    My S8 also has good battery life. As long as I'm not browsing the internet endlessly, it'll last two or three days on one charge. I also turn it off every night. The power-saver mode turns off background apps and data, reduces screen brightness, and reduces the CPU speed to stretch that even further.

With the S10 out, the older phones are probably a bit cheaper now.

12. Lämmchen

+84

2-3 days???? I'm lucky I get 6 hours without needing a charge!! And I rarely use my phone!

I don't turn my phone off at night because I have relatives who text me in the middle of the night (they forget we aren't in the same time zone) and I like to be accessible to them :D

But I keep my phone on a charger all night. Does that hurt the battery?

13. Elli

Elli Reputable

+55
    It should be fine. I recall that modern phone batteries have protections built in against being "overcharged", so once the battery reaches 100%, it stops charging.

It's awful nice of you to stay available to your midnight-texting relatives!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lämmchen

+84
    They need me to calm them down when they freak out :D

15. ZachJ

ZachJ Resident

+25
    All of my androids batteries have over time lost battery strength gradually.

16. Lämmchen

+84
    How long did your batteries last though?

17. ZachJ

ZachJ Resident

+25
    Both of mine currently last about a day! Unfortunately!

18. Lucky!

Lucky! sudo rm -rf / Retired Admin

+606
    I am a power user on my phone and I get about a day and half on my Note 9. I am a professional who is always on my phone checking emails, system monitoring and other tasks and I am impressed by the battery. Besides, the fast charging is amazing, one of the reasons I left shitty iPhones :)

19. Gabnovatron

Gabnovatron New Arrival

+2
    I find most of the Chinese brands (Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo) have good battery life. I can go 3 days on my Oppo AX5 without needing a charge, but not with heavy use of course.

Also, worth mentioning to make sure wifi and mobile data are turned off whenever possible. It can really make a difference.