Solved Annoying Facebook Messenger Pop Up Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
Is there anyway to disconnect the annoying FaceBook live agent menu? It seems to have automatically connected to my Facebook page without having to log in or authorize it.

Reactions: Bizdustry.com
Talk Mental Health

Bizdustry.com

Madly Diligent
Nov 7, 2014
FP$
Cookie Badge
Is there anyway to disconnect the annoying FaceBook live agent menu? It seems to have automatically connected to my Facebook page without having to log in or authorize it.
You could use a Adblock and block the specific element from showing

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
You could use a Adblock and block the specific element from showing
Best believe I have an adblocker on with all settings enabled.

My issues are that 1) my Facebook account immediately connected to FP and 2) the feature is incredibly annoying when visiting FP. I wasn’t even taken to a Facebook authorization screen to verify that I wanted to connect my account to this service. I’d like more of an answer than use an adblocker.

Thanks though.

Carlos X

Addicted
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
This "dialog" is meant to reach the FB people that don't usually interact with forums or any other social websites or social media websites (or network).

However, you can minimize it.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
This "dialog" is meant to reach the FB people that don't usually interact with forums or any other social websites or social media websites (or network).

However, you can minimize it.
Right, I want to know if there’s an option to disable it on my end. I don’t care to much about the reasoning why it’s there. I’d like to be able to disable it settings. Minimizing and the constant “how can we help” notifications on top of the automatic connection to my Facebook is incredibly annoying.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
There is no way to disable it.

Reactions: Carlos X

Carlos X

Addicted
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
Right, I want to know if there’s an option to disable it on my end. I don’t care to much about the reasoning why it’s there. I’d like to be able to disable it settings. Minimizing and the constant “how can we help” notifications on top of the automatic connection to my Facebook is incredibly annoying.
The way I saw it was the admin threw an API on top of the forum, which is why the option isn't there. It's far different from the discord plugin, which has been a thing for a while now.

BTW, this "I don't care why this feature exist, just give me an option to dismiss it entirely." is not an attitude you want to put in front of an admin (I'm not admin on FP, but it's just an FYI.)

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
There is no way to disable it.
Can you guys look into adding like a verification step before automatically connecting Facebook profiles? I was kind of shocked when it didn't even ask for permission to use my profile to message me.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Can you guys look into adding like a verification step before automatically connecting Facebook profiles? I was kind of shocked when it didn't even ask for permission to use my profile to message me.
Well actually we don’t use your login at all. It’s a script that goes directly to Facebook and if you have your Facebook automatically logged in it will display as if it was automatically logged in.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Well actually we don’t use your login at all. It’s a script that goes directly to Facebook and if you have your Facebook automatically logged in it will display as if it was automatically logged in.
In that case the person would need to go to their Account>Privacy or something similar to tell Facebook to bug off if I am not mistaken?

I remembered I had "opted in apps" personally and I wasn't gonna use Facebook so I denied everyone as a result.

It's quite similar to GitHub or GitLab if I am not mistaken?

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
Okay, so here's my follow up. There's no indication it connects FP to FB in such a way. I'm used to pages automatically messaging me but I wasn't expecting that to happen from the actual FP website. If this button and the constant "how may we help" pop ups will be permanent, you all might want to explore making it a bit more transparent. I clicked on the blue button to see what it was and a FB message immediately popped up offsite. I've reported it as unwanted messaging on FB's end and blocked messages from coming through to my FB in the meantime. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't handle any log-in info like apps though.

Thank you for the heads up though Malcolm. I like the ongoing changes but some of the implementation needs to be looked at or at least publicized better.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
In that case the person would need to go to their Account>Privacy or something similar to tell Facebook to bug off if I am not mistaken?

I remembered I had "opted in apps" personally and I wasn't gonna use Facebook so I denied everyone as a result.

It's quite similar to GitHub or GitLab if I am not mistaken?
No, disabling through Account Privacy wouldn’t resolve this. You need to log out of Facebook or use incognito mode. The messenger bubble communicates directly to our Facebook Page. However with that said, if you click into the chat bubble you have the option to communicate as guest or through your Facebook account. I normally just use continue as guest.

786D6A11-FD40-4276-A15D-4795BFF04102.png

I’m not sure if I quite understand the last question, could you elaborate on what you mean?

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlyPerson

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Okay, so here's my follow up. There's no indication it connects FP to FB in such a way. I'm used to pages automatically messaging me but I wasn't expecting that to happen from the actual FP website. If this button and the constant "how may we help" pop ups will be permanent, you all might want to explore making it a bit more transparent. I clicked on the blue button to see what it was and a FB message immediately popped up offsite. I've reported it as unwanted messaging on FB's end and blocked messages from coming through to my FB in the meantime. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't handle any log-in info like apps though.

Thank you for the heads up though Malcolm. I like the ongoing changes but some of the implementation needs to be looked at or at least publicized better.
Thanks for the reply, Matthew! I will look into seeing if we can limit or disable the pop ups.

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
Thanks for the reply, Matthew! I will look into seeing if we can limit or disable the pop ups.
Very welcome. I do want to also point out that while I'm seeing what you posted in the screenshot now, the first time I clicked it the message popup on Facebook came through without having time to choose an option such as "continue as..."

I may be isolated in this but it did surprise me. The explanation you gave makes more sense which eases my mind about login info.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
No, disabling through Account Privacy wouldn’t resolve this. You need to log out of Facebook or use incognito mode. The messenger bubble communicates directly to our Facebook Page. However with that said, if you click into the chat bubble you have the option to communicate as guest or through your Facebook account. I normally just use continue as guest.

View attachment 9019

I’m not sure if I quite understand the last question, could you elaborate on what you mean?
Oh is this in relations of the FB pages automatically showing these chat box things? Because it seems to me that what it appears to be as if you were to be logged into Facbook "natively" and viewing a page. Then it's spews out a chat box if the page have that configured for their Facebook page.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Very welcome. I do want to also point out that while I'm seeing what you posted in the screenshot now, the first time I clicked it the message popup on Facebook came through without having time to choose an option such as "continue as..."

I may be isolated in this but it did surprise me. The explanation you gave makes more sense which eases my mind about login info.
Correct me if I am wrong, When you first interacted with the messenger chat bubble it did not show "Continue as..." option, is that correct?
Oh is this in relations of the FB pages automatically showing these chat box things? Because it seems to me that what it appears to be as if you were to be logged into Facbook "natively" and viewing a page. Then it's spews out a chat box if the page have that configured for their Facebook page.
The messenger chat bubble will display even if you aren't logged into Facebook. The messenger script is provided by Facebook (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/discovery/facebook-chat-plugin/) and connects directly to the Forum Promotion page. So instead of going to Facebook.com then going to FP Facebook page to message us, you can simply hit the messenger bubble and you would be able to connect with an Administrator right away.

• Informative
Reactions: FriendlyPerson

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
Correct me if I am wrong, When you first interacted with the messenger chat bubble it did not show "Continue as..." option, is that correct?

The messenger chat bubble will display even if you aren't logged into Facebook. The messenger script is provided by Facebook (https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/discovery/facebook-chat-plugin/) and connects directly to the Forum Promotion page. So instead of going to Facebook.com then going to FP Facebook page to message us, you can simply hit the messenger bubble and you would be able to connect with an Administrator right away.
It did but the message came through on my second tab (fb) before I could make a choice

Reactions: Malcolm

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
It did but the message came through on my second tab (fb) before I could make a choice
This could be more of a Facebook issue, but I will look into it on our end for sure.

Reactions: Matthew

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Applying fix to automatic popup. Messenger bubble shouldn't be popping up with anything.

Reactions: Matthew
Status
Not open for further replies.