Anti - Adblock Forums?

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
Do you think forums that make you deactivate your adblock are deterring to visit or join? why or why not?

I think so. I think any website that asks me to remove my Adblocks really isn't worth the time or energy. I'm not risking taking down my adblock and getting malware on my computer. Although I do have security system on my computer.

• Agree
Reactions: FriendlyPerson
Talk Mental Health

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Do you think forums that make you deactivate your adblock are deterring to visit or join? why or why not?

I think so. I think any website that asks me to remove my Adblocks really isn't worth the time or energy. I'm not risking taking down my adblock and getting malware on my computer. Although I do have security system on my computer.
Entirely why I have it on mine, I got a really bad virus on my Laptop and it was destructive of getting my stuffs done for college. I got it sorted out at the MalwareBytes' Forum at the time in just about the right timing as well.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Unfortunately a large percentage of websites revenue can be lost due to people using adblock. I think it's unfair to expect website owners to create, host, develop and maintain websites with no form of revenue.
That's their problems not ours though as ad block users.

There are numerous other means of revenue generation which aren't as harmful as invasive network based ads are. User Upgrades, in house user based ads and so forth are means of montenizations along with many other "out of the box" solutions/avenues.

Reactions: Terminated

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
I’m not 100% anti ad block. You go to some websites and you have to have ad block enabled in order for the site to properly function. Also, I understand the arguments in regards to malware from ads when you’re visiting a new site for the first time.

Still, if you continue to frequent the same site, whether that’s a forum, blog, or whatever, I really believe you’re doing the webmaster(s) a disservice by continuing to have ad block enabled. If you enjoy a website and you want it to continue to exist, you need to allow the site to be monetized. You can’t have it both ways. Those webmaster(s) will get tired of their money for web hosting and whatever else going into the toilet each month.

I’d really call this an ethical dilemma above anything else.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge

There are numerous other means of revenue generation which aren't as harmful as invasive network based ads are. User Upgrades, in house user based ads and so forth are means of montenizations along with many other "out of the box" solutions/avenues.

In my experiences, the vast majority of forums I have visited have offered User Upgrades that included an ad free experience as one of those benefits. Are you saying you are someone that would typically purchase these other methods of revenue generation, such as outright paying for an ad free browsing experience?

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Still, if you continue to frequent the same site, whether that’s a forum, blog, or whatever, I really believe you’re doing the webmaster(s) a disservice by continuing to have ad block enabled. If you enjoy a website and you want it to continue to exist, you need to allow the site to be monetized. You can’t have it both ways.
As I said above you can, e.g. instead of viewing the ads purchase an upgrade/paid plan/donate or etcerta instead to support the site that way. A LOT of youtubers for instance now have sponsorships instead of ads for example and/or sells merch to make ends meets. Seeing as Adsense does not covers them or sufficiently because of such.

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$

If anti adblock is being used then no, it's your problem not the websites.

User upgrades do not provide anywhere close to the same as ad's and in many cases are not a sustainable form of revenue to support the website.

I say this as someone who uses anti-adblock and as someone who serves almost 30TB of data through my website each month. This is not cheap and relying on donations/upgrades would probably mean the end of the website.

Last edited:

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Again it's the business and monetization model issue not our issues.

User upgrades do not provide anywhere close to the same as ad's and in many cases are not a sustainable form of revenue to support the website.
But they still can, that's the webmaster situation to figure out why they aren't getting adequate revenue from that stream. For example but not limited to...

Do people want your upgrade? What about at that price? Why should we pay for the upgrade? What payment options are there? What billing cycles and if applicable incentives? etc?

It's just like running a website hosting business or a wormery. You need to do the leg work and stack it against the competition, charge reasonable prices, provide good service and so forth.
who serves almost 30TB of data through my website each month. This is not cheap and relying on donations/upgrades would probably mean the end of the website.
Then why didn't you make sure you were making off of 10GB? 100GB? or even 1TB?

That's like me ordering 100LBs of worms and knowing I can't make a profit on them.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge

But they still can, that's the webmaster situation to figure out why they aren't getting adequate revenue from that stream. For example but not limited to...

Do people want your upgrade? What about at that price? Why should we pay for the upgrade? What payment options are there? What billing cycles and if applicable incentives? etc?

It's just like running a website hosting business or a wormery. You need to do the leg work and stack it against the competition, charge reasonable prices, provide good service and so forth.

That's like me ordering 100LBs of worms and knowing I can't make a profit on them.

You recently spent your FP$ purchasing an ad placement on this forum for your web hosting company. Would it not bother you if the vast majority of users didn’t even see your ad because of ad block being enabled? Obviously you purchased a text link, but that can easily be blocked like anything else. I know plenty of folks that have signatures hidden altogether. Surely that would be infuriating?

Ultimately, we have no problem making ends meet here at FP, but I do have the problem of having to explain to my BSA advertisers why impression counts aren’t always what they ought to be, and this is exactly why.

Any revenue that we’ve generated for FP has always been put right back into the forum in some shape or fashion. For example, we have our Site Battle Madness competition going on right now, which has $200 in cash prizes involved. Everything has a cost. That money has to come from somewhere. By utilizing ad block within this community, you (and many others) are preventing us from having the funds to put into these events.

Whether you realize it or not, that’a wrong.

Reactions: D

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$

Antiadblock is part of the monetization strategy.

Saying that "it is the webmasters problem" is extremely self entitled, you are blocking ads and we are blocking your ad blocker. Its essentially the same thing.

I'm not sure of anybody who starts a brand new website and thinks hey I better not make this because I don't know if it could support itself when millions of people use it.

Webhosting, product based businesses and content based websites are extremely different things and I think its pretty stupid to try to compare them.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
You recently spent your FP$ purchasing an ad placement on this forum for your web hosting company. Would it not bother you if the vast majority of users didn’t even see your ad because of ad block being enabled? Obviously you purchased a text link, but that can easily be blocked like anything else. I know plenty of folks that have signatures hidden altogether. Surely that would be infuriating?
It would be correct but that something I had to simply account for that an ad might not perform as well given these factors in play. Since I am very understanding as I said before as I was a personal victim of malicious ads. That's might not be within anyone controls here but at the same time I can understand why the use of ad blockers and such.

What I am considerably more at unrest at is the ad industry itself when I was attempting to source PPC ad placements. That's however for another day since that deserves a thread of it own.

Ultimately, we have no problem making ends meet here at FP, but I do have the problem of having to explain to my BSA advertisers why impression counts aren’t always what they ought to be, and this is exactly why.
Since I am not into the CPM (I were looking more into CPC/PPC) I might not seeing the whole picture with this but aren't CPMs supposed be with the ad loaded? So if there a total of 10000 users and 3000 are ad blocked wouldn't the ad haven't been even loaded for them therefore you would be "charged" for 7xCPM rate?

That money has to come from somewhere.
Right or a business or project wouldn't function, however nobody said ads which even trigger ad blockers were the only way and mean. It's still in intency but there are even a few ad networks that practices alternative means of delivering these ads without "upsetting" the users or the ad blocking setup.

A marketplace forum that I used to be at even had zero adsense ads and solely relied on user based ads which didn't bothered my ad blocking at all. Therefore those ads were not blocked as a result even though the ad blocker was on for that site.

Saying that "it is the webmasters problem" is extremely self entitled, you are blocking ads and we are blocking your ad blocker. Its as simple as that.
Yes but your giving up your traffic to a webmaster that doesn't do that. Your site, your rules but that also means if those rules such as not allowing ad blockers at all or such I will move on and so will many other people I seen online. Even to those banners that won't go away with a simple "X" or "no thank you".

Moral of the story we will contribute if the "product" is good enough, benefit us and so forth.

I'm not sure of anybody who starts a brand new website and thinks hey I better not make this because I don't know if it could support itself when millions of people use it.
Capacity planning is always important regardless if we are talking about how many and what size bins I will need for the worms or how many users I can get and if those users would "pay up" to keep it running.

Webhosting, product based businesses and content based websites are extremely different things and I think its pretty stupid to try to compare them.
You might not make a profit like FP here but you still need a working project, capacity, etc plan. So I disagree with that statement since you still gotta keep the lights on.

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$
You might not make a profit like FP here but you still need a working project, capacity, etc plan. So I disagree with that statement since you still gotta keep the lights on.
Which is why I use anti-adblock, different websites have different needs and different user bases. You can't group a webhosting business, a worm business and everything else under the same umbrella.

Webhosting offers a service, a worm business offers a product and FP offers content. Content based websites primarily rely on advertisements.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Content based websites primarily rely on advertisements.
Well as I hinted, either the mean of that delivery (e.g. noninvasively) or other means would be required to live up today's standards.

Just take youtubers for instance, before they could just slap Adsense and call it a day right? Now they are pressed to create other means of advertisements, revenue streams and so forth. Whether it's their "bread and butter" (like a website hosting or wormery business is) or if your simply doing it as a hobby and just wanna keep afloat like here on FP.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$

No, I still think it's a problem for you because you're the guy paying for the website and hosting. I'm just the guy paying a monthly internet bill and using a browser. You're spending more money than I am. The percentage that doesn't agree with why your forum or website is anti adblock will discontinue visiting. Your competitors will benefit because they aren't anti adblock like you are. Because me and most likely everyone else will visit their website or forum over yours because they're not asking or trying to force everyone to disable their Adblock or have silly requirements to view said site. Kudos to them. Bully for you. That's how they just beat you. Then your forum or site suffers catastrophic inactivity because you have all of these requirements no one agrees with. Again sucks for you. Then you get the honor of seeing your forum go inactive. That sucks for you and your money down the toilet. You'll end up having to either sell it or delete it or whatever fits your fancy. Again, none of this is coming out of my pocket because the website and hosting is in your name. I'd say that sounds more like a YOU problem and less of a ME problem. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$
No, I still think it's a problem for you because you're the guy paying for the website and hosting. I'm just the guy paying a monthly internet bill and using a browser. You're spending more money than I am. The percentage that doesn't agree with why your forum or website is anti adblock will discontinue visiting. Your competitors will benefit because they aren't anti adblock like you are. Because me and most likely everyone else will visit their website or forum over yours because they're not asking or trying to force everyone to disable their Adblock or have silly requirements to view said site. Kudos to them. Bully for you. That's how they just beat you. Then your forum or site suffers catastrophic inactivity because you have all of these requirements no one agrees with. Again sucks for you. Then you get the honor of seeing your forum go inactive. That sucks for you and your money down the toilet. You'll end up having to either sell it or delete it or whatever fits your fancy. Again, none of this is coming out of my pocket because the website and hosting is in your name. I'd say that sounds more like a YOU problem and less of a ME problem. Wouldn't you agree?

That is incorrect. We make more than enough to survive, anti-adblock has been enabled for years and our traffic only grows. This is because we have quality content that people want, regardless of if we require adblock to be off or not. We are 50x better than any close competitor feature and content wise.

Just because you and friendlyperson refuse to visit any website that uses anti-adblock doesnt mean the rest of the world does.

So no, this isn't a problem for me.

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
Just because you and friendlyperson refuse to visit any website that uses anti-adblock doesnt mean the rest of the world does.

So that means a lot of people aren't going to use be using websites, let alone forums, that try to get them to disable their adblock.

• Agree

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$
Wow, so that means a lot of people aren't going to use be using websites, let alone forums, that try to get them to disable.

An article about how many people use adblock is irrelevant here. It doesn't show how many people willingly disable it when asked.

• Optimistic

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby
Mar 10, 2021
FP$
An article about how many people use adblock is irrelevant here. It doesn't show how many people willingly disable it when asked.

If that method is so effective than why isn't FP and a majority of other forum owners using it?