Anyone feel XenForo is praised too much?

Discussion in 'Software & Hosting Discussions' started by Gio, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Gio

Gio FP's Greek Ambassador Community Team Retired Admin

+564
    Sometimes I feel like XenForo is given more credit than it deserves. Anyone feel like that sometimes?

2. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+173
    It's a nice forum software, but certain things on it require 10x more work compared to accomplishing the same task on another forum software like MyBB.

3. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+380
    I can't comment on Invision or Burning Boards - but VB seems far worse than XF. Maybe it should be called VD. Anyway, I saw this math forum eaten up spam and supposedly this other one had a rough time (a popular webmaster one) - so it had to shut down. On top of this, I've seen major display problems on at least one.

However, it could be the fault of admins. Note, the math one was more complex than it seems and I highly suspect graphic problems would come about from lack of updates or something.

Now, with MyBB (free) - it's possible to have a good forum on it - but you need way more tech know-how than for XF - or probably some of the premium solutions. For instance, a lot of themes are not compatible with the new version - causing login problems - which can only be fixed with code modification.

The upside to free forum software - of course, is the free nature - and the renewals for XF are tough (as in price) for many people.

4. Bryn

Bryn Paragon

+196
    It's criminally overrated, regardless of its own faults. That's all I can say.

5. Jason76

+380
    Well, I'd like to use MyBB - due to the free nature, however, the code modifications to make it like a premium solution are just not something I want to deal with. I mean, the sky's the limit, a person can code anything - but do they feel it's worth the time?

6. John

John Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+832
    No.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jason76

+380
    That could be correct argument. I mean, the best is the best - but certain other stuff - can be the best, but it needs modification that might require brains/time that people don't have.

8. jazz555

jazz555 Paragon

+6
    I feel it slightly, sometime over-hyped by some user.

9. Cameron Taylor

Cameron Taylor Owner Administrator Owner

+600
    I just think XenForo is the best, to be honest. Does anything really come close? There’s IPB, maybe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ash

Ash Seasoned Veteran Community Team

+268
    It is the best paid forum software but for me, MyBB is the perfect forum solution when you factor in the price. You can do everything with a MyBB forum that you can with a XenForo forum without all the financial investments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Daniel

Daniel Package Team Leader Package Team

+122
    The only thing I could see me ever switching to in terms of paid software other than Xenforo is IPB. The only thing that would really keep me from switching right now is the fact that I don't want to fork out another $200 for another software when I already have money invested into Xenforo and it seems to be working okay. I also haven't used IPB in a few years so I am not at all as familiar with the back-end.

vBulletin I wouldn't touch with 6 foot pole primarily because of the cost ._. and because I haven't heard good things about it lately.

In regards to using a free software, I attempted to use MyBB but like many have said the free theme selection is horrible now. You are nearly forced to use a premium theme now. I think if I were to use a free software I'd probably opt for phpBB.

To answer the original posts question, no I don't think that it's over rated, it's quite the nice software especially for what the charge. I do think that the permissions bit has some of a learning curve because out of the box it's configured in what I consider to be a strange way.