Anyone feel XenForo is praised too much?

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
Feb 23, 2011
FP$
It's a nice forum software, but certain things on it require 10x more work compared to accomplishing the same task on another forum software like MyBB.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I can't comment on Invision or Burning Boards - but VB seems far worse than XF. Maybe it should be called VD. Anyway, I saw this math forum eaten up spam and supposedly this other one had a rough time (a popular webmaster one) - so it had to shut down. On top of this, I've seen major display problems on at least one.

However, it could be the fault of admins. Note, the math one was more complex than it seems and I highly suspect graphic problems would come about from lack of updates or something.

Now, with MyBB (free) - it's possible to have a good forum on it - but you need way more tech know-how than for XF - or probably some of the premium solutions. For instance, a lot of themes are not compatible with the new version - causing login problems - which can only be fixed with code modification.

The upside to free forum software - of course, is the free nature - and the renewals for XF are tough (as in price) for many people.

B

Bryn

It's criminally overrated, regardless of its own faults. That's all I can say.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
It's criminally overrated, regardless of its own faults. That's all I can say.
Well, I'd like to use MyBB - due to the free nature, however, the code modifications to make it like a premium solution are just not something I want to deal with. I mean, the sky's the limit, a person can code anything - but do they feel it's worth the time?

Ash

Seasoned Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
London
aakashpereira.co.uk
FP$
It is the best paid forum software but for me, MyBB is the perfect forum solution when you factor in the price. You can do everything with a MyBB forum that you can with a XenForo forum without all the financial investments.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Ajay and jazz555

Daniel

Seasoned Veteran
Dec 18, 2008
United States, MI
techsthink.com
FP$
The only thing I could see me ever switching to in terms of paid software other than Xenforo is IPB. The only thing that would really keep me from switching right now is the fact that I don't want to fork out another $200 for another software when I already have money invested into Xenforo and it seems to be working okay. I also haven't used IPB in a few years so I am not at all as familiar with the back-end.

vBulletin I wouldn't touch with 6 foot pole primarily because of the cost ._. and because I haven't heard good things about it lately.

In regards to using a free software, I attempted to use MyBB but like many have said the free theme selection is horrible now. You are nearly forced to use a premium theme now. I think if I were to use a free software I'd probably opt for phpBB.

To answer the original posts question, no I don't think that it's over rated, it's quite the nice software especially for what the charge. I do think that the permissions bit has some of a learning curve because out of the box it's configured in what I consider to be a strange way.

D

Deleted member 44219

I've never used XenForo or ever read reviews for it. I've only used CreateAForum, ProBoards and SMF. I think SMF is a decent forum software as it's easy to setup and there's a great community and lots of modifications for it. But back to XenForo, I've never used it. It does look like a decent forum software though.

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
I've never used XenForo or ever read reviews for it. I've only used CreateAForum, ProBoards and SMF. I think SMF is a decent forum software as it's easy to setup and there's a great community and lots of modifications for it. But back to XenForo, I've never used it. It does look like a decent forum software though.
F.Y.I. you are on an xenForo forum. Most of the features you see on this site is/are now on xenForo 2.1 which is currently in beta.
The only thing I could see me ever switching to in terms of paid software other than Xenforo is IPB. The only thing that would really keep me from switching right now is the fact that I don't want to fork out another $200 for another software when I already have money invested into Xenforo and it seems to be working okay. I also haven't used IPB in a few years so I am not at all as familiar with the back-end.
xenForo is pretty cheap. It used to be $140 before the start of this year, but now it's $160, and renewals are cheaper than the competition. Used to be $40, but is now $55.

I would not touch IPS/IPB because of the costs of buying it, and renewing it. And I really do not like the quality of the software.
I would not touch vBulletin because of costs of buying it, and then going to a new class of software (e.g. if you're on vB4, and you want vB5, you'll need to fork over what is essentially an license "upgrade.")

To the question though: Not even in the slightest. It does have some flaws, but the flaws are usually fixed in new upgrades. For example, the "reactions" you see on FP is now stock in 2.1. Better yet, you can even customize it.

Last edited:

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
New York City
FP$
@Azareal Pssst. Time for a Gosora plug.

At least Gosora is fast and seems to load pretty reliably. I don't understand why the FP crowd didn't pick it up.

You guys picked up Codoforum like no tomorrow. :p

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
XenForo has always been overrated. It all started when people acted like it was the best thing ever simply because it had likes, alerts and a control panel with fancy animations. Features which it largely stole from Facebook, no less.

And then, everyone else copied it's functionality, asides from the control panel animations, but people seem to have forgotten why it was so hyped in the first place and just continue in perpetual motion.

XenForo has largely stagnated and even long time die-hards seem to be getting nervous in some circles. They really wish it could return to the days when it was just released, but those days have passed.
VB seems far worse than XF
Considering that vB seems half a step from being abandoned, this shouldn't come as a surprise.
Well, I'd like to use MyBB - due to the free nature, however, the code modifications to make it like a premium solution are just not something I want to deal with. I mean, the sky's the limit, a person can code anything - but do they feel it's worth the time?
That's why you want to follow the spirit of open source. Instead of forty admins coding the same thing forty times, the forty could get together to release a MyBB + Premium Features and everyone benefits.

Unfortunately, every admin wants their competitive edge over everyone else.
F.Y.I. you are on an xenForo forum.
This isn't XenForo, it's obviously a highly modded installation of MyBB which Cameron spent months on :p:p:p lol
At least Gosora is fast and seems to load pretty reliably. I don't understand why the FP crowd didn't pick it up.
I can see people downloading it, usually after I post about an update on FP, but no production runs so far lol

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Incidentally, the same sort of hero worship happens over at Discourse where people dismiss far superior options like NodeBB simply because Jeff Atwood is the man who created Stack Overflow.

XenForo in a similar fashion tends to reference ancient conquests and innovations which at this point are looking all too stale. Perhaps, the only reason it sticks is because any newcomers are trying to compete with Discourse rather than what they consider to be obsolete.

Many programmers don't even know XenForo exists, but they know very well about Discourse.

Even Mozilla which is worth billions uses Discourse. They wouldn't lower themselves to anything but the best. XenForo is becoming more and more of an echo chambers by the day.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Princess MeowsePad

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
*rolleyes* Whatever @Azareal. If you like Discourse, that's fine, why don't you create your own Discourse website and have fun. Yeah.

I wouldn't want to scroll down seeing endless threads. As a matter of fact, any site that do similar behavior, I avoid. It hurts my head.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I'm not going to be a snob and diss people's software. I mean, if people want Discourse - or some free host with ProBoards - have at it! I mean, there are disadvantages with different setups - but it depends on the other factors going on as well.