Anyone have a garden?

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
I planted a pretty big garden this year and so far it's produced cucumbers, zucchini and yellow crookneck squash. I also planted pumpkins and there are 5 growing but I've never grown them before so we'll see how they end up. My daughter wanted pumpkins to carve for Halloween the end of October so hopefully she'll get a few out of this. They're taking over the garden though so next year I doubt I'll plant any.

I have some pepper plants too but they aren't thriving. The cilantro and onions were started inside the house and transplanted and they're almost dead.

Do you have a garden?

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
I loved having a garden. I had it all organic. We haven't here as we've been trying to move closer to my parents.
But my dad has a huge garden where I help out when we go see them.
Do you like doing flowers too?
I've never really appreciated flowers too much. I have a rose bush and that's about it.

Have you tried growing veggies in a pot planter?

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Most of the Homes that I lived back in Australia has front and backyard then again you do expect most do anyway apart from Citys and living in apartments.

One of my old hoes back over 10 years ago, the land was so big you can build an apartment on the land. YEAH! Takes just over two hours to moe the lawn and that was just waked me out afterward. then again it was farming lands and farming countryside.

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
I grew up on 19 acres of field that the farm down the street rented for hay. Now we have 10 acres of woods. Takes my husband a good 2,3 hours to mow our lawn here.
19 acres is huge! We live on an acre of land and it takes my husband about an hour and a half to mow it because of the hills and how he has to go over certain areas a few times to get parts of it done.

Reactions: ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Up-and-Coming Sensation
19 acres is huge! We live on an acre of land and it takes my husband about an hour and a half to mow it because of the hills and how he has to go over certain areas a few times to get parts of it done.
We like living rural lol I just have to walk outside to be in nature & be away from noise.

22_22

Madly Diligent
Package Team
Jun 14, 2009
Sweden
FP$
I have been living in student accommodation for far too long! I do not have a garden. Luckily though I am living in a city filled with parks! So recently and for now, they have been my garden. ;) One day I hope to have my own cute little garden, maybe with some fruit and veg planted, as well as herbs.

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
My garden has produced a little under 60 cucumbers so far and I put some in a basket this morning with a FREE sign and then started texting neighbors to let them know they were out there for the taking. Only 3 or 4 were gone when I went out there this evening. I can't even give these things away LOL

Reactions: ZandraJoi

ZandraJoi

Up-and-Coming Sensation
That's funny lol He has a stand he built he puts out front. He sells some but gives the majority away. They've lived there for 50 years so all the neighbors know who he is & his garden. He tried giving some away to a local food pantry but they won't take food hardly 'cos of this virus fear. Farmers around him have the same problem. All this food going to waste! You could always put an ad in the paper & a sign out front.

Reactions: Lämmchen

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
That's funny lol He has a stand he built he puts out front. He sells some but gives the majority away. They've lived there for 50 years so all the neighbors know who he is & his garden. He tried giving some away to a local food pantry but they won't take food hardly 'cos of this virus fear. Farmers around him have the same problem. All this food going to waste! You could always put an ad in the paper & a sign out front.
I forgot about food banks being fearful because of the virus. I picked 12 cucumbers today and used some to make sweet refrigerator pickles. In 4 days if they taste good I just might make more.

Lämmchen

Community Team Leader
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
My dad does a lot of canning esp. the beets. That's how older generations did it. They canned a lot of the produce to make it thru the winter. Very self-sustaining. We, actually my husband as he's the cook lol, made salsa a few times w/ the tomatoes. We also did pickles which were quite good honestly!
I'm so afraid to do canning. It's so much work and what if I fail and ruin all that food? What are some tips?

I made sweet pickles yesterday and the thinly sliced cucumbers were already ready in an hour so we started gobbling them up! They were amazing!

Spikey

Familiar Face
Jul 20, 2020
FP$
Naw no garden for me. Here where I live the summers are really short so its harder to have a garden. Some people still have one.