Are ModCP's necessary in 2019?

Azareal

Paragon
This is a feature which got a fair bit of steam in some software, probably largely due to the fact that vB3 added it (largely as a gimmick, in my opinion).

It's supposed to be a miniature control panel with features just for mods, however it ends up duplicating capabilities making software harder to maintain and it ends up bloating things.
It does however restrict some capabilities like changing someone's group while still allowing a moderator to edit basic things about them.

I personally think that something like that could be handled as an admin permission, however it could be considered a pro of the moderator control panel.

A moderator control panel also means that a user won't need access to the main control panel which might be behind a demilitarised zone with countless layers of security, although I follow the model that if a software was generally more secure, then such a paranoid approach wouldn't be so necessary.

Discourse for instance has a unified control panel, to my knowledge as does Gosora and some others.

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
There are 2 moderators listed for Christianity Haven but one is more of a techie guy and the other has trouble using the tools on the site. I prefer it that there is a limited ModCP to avoid having to correct mistakes that might be made in the AdminCP. Maybe I'm too controlling that there are no other Admins on the site besides the owner?

Azareal

Paragon
I personally think they're more of a benefit. I hate the XenForo mindset that it's either have them as an Admin and give them Admin CP access, or don't at all. It's annoying that the banning feature by default is Admin only in XenForo.
I can't really recall XenForo's control panel that well, but I think admins generally have full access, right? In that case, the solution is simple, they just have to implement granular admin permissions, and then, you can decide who gets access to what.

Gio

FP's Greek Ambassador
I personally think they're more of a benefit. I hate the XenForo mindset that it's either have them as an Admin and give them Admin CP access, or don't at all. It's annoying that the banning feature by default is Admin only in XenForo.
I can't really recall XenForo's control panel that well, but I think admins generally have full access, right? In that case, the solution is simple, they just have to implement granular admin permissions, and then, you can decide who gets access to what.
But what I'm saying is that XenForo's line of thinking is pretty much if you trust your mods to be able to ban, just make all of them Admins. That's a stupid line of thinking, you can't just allow someone to ban in the Admin CP, you have to give them the ability to edit users and that's way more access given then needed. You have to buy an addon to allow mods to ban.

Azareal

Paragon
But what I'm saying is that XenForo's line of thinking is pretty much if you trust your mods to be able to ban, just make all of them Admins. That's a stupid line of thinking, you can't just allow someone to ban in the Admin CP, you have to give them the ability to edit users and that's way more access given then needed. You have to buy an addon to allow mods to ban.
Well yeah, it is a pretty silly idea, if I recall, doesn't XenForo 2.0 let mods ban though?