Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Proboards

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Proboards

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Justin

Legendary Typer
Jul 2, 2009
America
FP$
This is the topic for explaining your reasons for liking the software you do.

I myself prefer Phpbb. It has so many exact permissions that you can hit, many other forum softwares have generic permissions set. Phpbb also has great support and the best MODs.

Talk Mental Health

Lee Lawson

Seasoned Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
UK, Scotland
FP$
myBB, many members say that it is way more simpler to install than phpBB, can alter things that you would need to edit via template or code when using phpBB when using myBB you can simply use it with its easy to use nav-bar. Sorry if making no sense really tired.

Also myBB has some nice forum designs but not much customizable designs seeing as the best of them are simple so myBB.

el canadiano

Paragon
Mar 15, 2008
Redmond, WA
FP$
I hate phpBB. Mostly because even their mods still require quite a hefty amount of file edits, which are almost now unheard of on other software. Also, I never understood why they had they use their own language in conjunction with PHP, then HTML/CSS to code their styles. To me, that seems inefficient, especially when MyBB (for example) basically only uses (x)HTML and CSS with their own variables to use. Also, what have they really innovated over the last little while? Do they have a package manager like SMF, where you can basically upload a zip package which will install a mod, theme, or upgrade your version just like that? Do they have anything for CMS or SEO (IPB 3.1 is getting more built-in SEO features)?

The only forum software I hate more than phpBB is vBulletin. Don't get me wrong, vBulletin 3 was great, but without Kier Darby, they've been going downhill (not to mention their absolutely ridiculous pricing restructure which happened last December). Their Admin CP is the worst to deal with as well (heck, phpBB 2's ACP is better). To me, it's as if a low-level coach inherited a top team and just made a firesale for the worst (ie. traded/sold their players for peanuts). Developers have been criticizing vBulletin 4 for its load on the servers, and its ridiculously complicated templating system. Over at another Admins' Forum I'm at (where vBulletin is traditionally the software most of the guys there run), many of them have been flocking to IPB 3, and rightfully so. They've always had MUCH better support than vBulletin, and their developers have actually been LISTENING to the modding community and creating a forum software designed around the admin and the user. Mind you, I was a vBulletin license holder and am an IPB license holder as well.

David

Madly Diligent
Jul 13, 2009
Australia
FP$
el canadiano said:
I hate phpBB. Mostly because even their mods still require quite a hefty amount of file edits, which are almost now unheard of on other software. Also, I never understood why they had they use their own language in conjunction with PHP, then HTML/CSS to code their styles. To me, that seems inefficient, especially when MyBB (for example) basically only uses (x)HTML and CSS with their own variables to use. Also, what have they really innovated over the last little while? Do they have a package manager like SMF, where you can basically upload a zip package which will install a mod, theme, or upgrade your version just like that? Do they have anything for CMS or SEO (IPB 3.1 is getting more built-in SEO features)?

The only forum software I hate more than phpBB is vBulletin. Don't get me wrong, vBulletin 3 was great, but without Kier Darby, they've been going downhill (not to mention their absolutely ridiculous pricing restructure which happened last December). Their Admin CP is the worst to deal with as well (heck, phpBB 2's ACP is better). To me, it's as if a low-level coach inherited a top team and just made a firesale for the worst (ie. traded/sold their players for peanuts). Developers have been criticizing vBulletin 4 for its load on the servers, and its ridiculously complicated templating system. Over at another Admins' Forum I'm at (where vBulletin is traditionally the software most of the guys there run), many of them have been flocking to IPB 3, and rightfully so. They've always had MUCH better support than vBulletin, and their developers have actually been LISTENING to the modding community and creating a forum software designed around the admin and the user. Mind you, I was a vBulletin license holder and am an IPB license holder as well.

The Hat Tipper said:

I myself prefer Phpbb. It has so many exact permissions that you can hit, many other forum softwares have generic permissions set. Phpbb also has great support and the best MODs.

The topic is for why you like a piece of software, not to bash at it ;)

Callum93

Madly Diligent
Mar 16, 2008
FP$
^ Don't see the problem with saying why one software is better then the other.

For me it's IPB, the templates are extremely professional, the support is excellent & the modifications are very good as well. Also the ACP is very simple to use, especially with the ACP search function.

el canadiano

Paragon
Mar 15, 2008
Redmond, WA
FP$
dotDavid said:
el canadiano said:

The Hat Tipper said:

The topic is for why you like a piece of software, not to bash at it ;)

Fair enough. As I said, I've been an IPB license holder since 2007. IPB 2.3 had its moments, but overall, vBulletin 3.6/3.7 did in fact have its edge. What made IPB 3.0 better than any vBulletin version, really, was that it retained all the important features, added more features, made it more user-friendly, and made it a lighter package as well (IPB 2.3 is about 6.7MB when you download it while IPB 3.0 is around 5.5MB), both in space, and in resources. With the new hooks and applications system in IPB, file edits went dramatically lower (I've only seen one hook require file edits, and it was only one, but applications still need some here and there). The file edits really are the only thing setting IPB back. It might not quite be as much as it used to (or compare it to phpBB, it has a fraction of what phpBB needs), but they're not quite eradicated there quite yet. The problem with file edits is that it can intimidate someone who isn't quite as good in programming, or at least seen object-oriented programs.

Having said that, to me, free software like phpBB, MyBB, and SMF have an advantage over the paid software in the sense that they're lighter packages. Actually (even if I prefer not using phpBB), all three have very good Admin Control Panels in the sense that it's clean, simple, and user-friendly. As a matter of fact, all three are much better than vBulletin's (heck, MyBB's is better than IPB). Actually, some of my best forums were not on IPB, but on MyBB. With Google SEO, it's an excellent piece of software. Most MyBB mods just require you to upload one file (maybe more) to the inc/plugins directory, then you activate it through the Admin CP, without file edits (with the exception of Google SEO, which has one file to edit, but they provide you with the edits). I like MyBB a lot because the themes are flexible and easy to manipulate to your likings. I'm not the best coder, but my xHTML and CSS knowledge is good enough to make my MyBB theme any which way I like. Having said that, I'd recommend SMF over MyBB for someone who's just starting forums. Their package manager is so easy to grasp that it's ridiculous.

David

Madly Diligent
Jul 13, 2009
Australia
FP$
Sbfc said:
^ Don't see the problem with saying why one software is better then the other.

For me it's IPB, the templates are extremely professional, the support is excellent & the modifications are very good as well. Also the ACP is very simple to use, especially with the ACP search function.

But that would be going off topic, which isn't generally suggested.

@el canadiano, I have to agree with you. I too, like IPB but for its compatibility and feasibility from what I have seen.

Justin

Legendary Typer
Jul 2, 2009
America
FP$
@IPB lovers: I have been looking into IPB lately just because of their PM system. There is absolutely no MOD for phpbb that allows javascript pop up and reply PMs, only one social network I am on and IPB boards can I do that.

AnAccount

Seasoned Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
FP$
I like PHPBB myself. I think it's because 95% of the forums I've joined were PHPBB to some degree. Some cases it was version 2, while others it was the latest version. So I think that's why I like it so much. Thanks for making an official topic about this by the way. Also, I don't see anything wrong with why people don't like a given software, I'm sure that discussion is allowed for the same thread too.

Jabberwocky

Addicted
Dec 17, 2009
FP$
Phpbb is easy to upgrade and use. The permissions system can get very complicated if you try and set it up very late at night like I tried to do. :p I enjoy the way you can set the permissions per group or even user which that way you could make someone not be able to post but the others can. PhpBB has a very nice name too.

Justin

Legendary Typer
Jul 2, 2009
America
FP$
Dudez009 said:
Phpbb is easy to upgrade and use. The permissions system can get very complicated if you try and set it up very late at night like I tried to do. :p I enjoy the way you can set the permissions per group or even user which that way you could make someone not be able to post but the others can. PhpBB has a very nice name too.
You can get nity grity with all of the permission controls and get specific but there are parts where you can copy permissions.

Puppuccino

Caution: Hot
Aug 16, 2009
FP$
I like phpBB the best, simply because MODs and styles, you have to add them yourself and maybe code bits yourself to fit your needs which helps increase knowledge of coding etc. With others like MyBB, it just lets you install MODs/Styles by simply a click (I think..?). phpBB has decent support, fan base and you can do more with it compared to other software.

I think MyBB, IPB and vB are alright but the appearance of some boards are far to plain but with phpBB, it is so simple to make a website which looks very similar to the forum.

I don't actually like when people from other softwares complain that phpBB is rubbish, it's one of the most used and looks nice and professional. A while back there was a community discussion weather FP should move to MyBB, if it did FP would loose it's famous look and I probably wouldn't have been as active, purely because phpBB is more user friendly, additionally it would hard to get use to.

I think phpBB is just great and has everything that it needs so far. Also it has a great development base for it. A security patch was released as fast as the development team could patch up the bug so that shows that phpBB care for their member base.

...so basically, phpBB is the best software for forums there is.

el canadiano

Paragon
Mar 15, 2008
Redmond, WA
FP$
...at least they're fixing bugs and security holes. I don't understand why phpBB 2 would just ignore bugs like that. My only problem with patch levels is that it gives me the impression that they don't thoroughly test their patched versions for new patches. vBulletin 4 was notorious for getting a PL1 just days after going gold. Former project lead Kier Darby called their rushed release "madness."

I don't really get your point on saying that file edits will increase knowledge of coding. For someone who isn't familiar with coding, it's a nightmare. Also, when it's just instructions, you don't really get classes, structures, etc. You won't learn PHP as a whole unless you take courses or teach yourself the basics. Obviously, the other software don't have an auto-downloader. You still have to upload your files through FTP (or the Admin CP if you're with SMF). It takes a fraction of the time to just upload files and run the script rather than spend time installing MODs. The other problem is that codes change. Since MyBB and SMF's mods are file-independent, you don't really have to worry about one of the file edits not being there when files get patched. Mind you, I used to be a vBulletin license holder, and I'm still an IPB 3.0 license holder, and I've admined each of the major forum software out there. Also, if you're comfortable with phpBB, so be it, it's great that you're used to something you're used to.

Puppuccino

Caution: Hot
Aug 16, 2009
FP$
The security issue in phpBB 3.0.7 was something so very small, it was this...

PHP:
<span class="syntaxdefault">$forum_ids </span><span class="syntaxkeyword">=</span><span class="syntaxdefault"> array_keys</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">(</span><span class="syntaxdefault">$auth</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">-></span><span class="syntaxdefault">acl_getf</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">(</span><span class="syntaxstring">'f_read'</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">,</span><span class="syntaxdefault"> true</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">));</span><span class="syntaxdefault"> </span>

PHP:
<span class="syntaxdefault">$forum_ids&nbsp;</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">=&nbsp;</span><span class="syntaxdefault">array_keys</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">(</span><span class="syntaxdefault">$auth</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">-></span><span class="syntaxdefault">acl_getf</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">(</span><span class="syntaxstring">'f_read'</span><span class="syntaxkeyword">));&nbsp;</span><span class="syntaxdefault"></span>

All it was, was a ", true", so it was very easy to miss something like that. It is personal opinion but phpBB3 is the best out there.

el canadiano

Paragon
Mar 15, 2008
Redmond, WA
FP$
Well of course. I didn't think that the Patch Level would screw up the entire thing, but I know that when I was trying to install a Reputation MOD on phpBB (a version which wasn't even supported cause it was on a development stage), I was asking for trouble because it was made for 3.0.4, and one edit wasn't there anymore. Obviously, that was my fault. Having said that, reputation is on every other forum software by default (called Karma in SMF).