Bias Due to Politics

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
If people don't like someone's politics, they're a lot more critical of them. For instance, they might tolerate a weaker person - assuming he/she agrees with their politics. However, if someone doesn't - then every weak move is highly criticized!

Anyway, I see this in business too. For instance, people are just shopping places cause they like the politics. I mean, Chick-Fil-a - honestly - doesn't have anything so spectacular to justify it's booming business (They get huge business from conservatives/Christians). In fact, they don't even serve enough food. It takes literally TWO combos to fill a grown person up!

Anyway, I try to ignore someone's politics when making judgments - but I haven't always been like that. I remember picking on certain people - off the bat - cause they disgusted me. However, they were really vile extremists. Nonetheless, it's always better to give people a chance - you know the "free speech argument". However, the downside - is that a lot of those types are bullies and can't be converted. But that's not saying - even typical Republicans or Democrats can't be similar.

O.K., how do you deal with political harassment? I mean, a lot of people won't speak of politics - at least, not the unpopular view, cause they know what they're going to get. :mad:

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
I'm a Christian and I've only been to Chick-Fil-A maybe 3 times? Possibly 4? I don't frequent places just because they're Christian or because they are similar to my political beliefs.

The most political harassment I've endured has been on Facebook. My Liberal friends like to trash talk Republicans often and it's vile. They're believing everything CNN feeds them :(

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
I deal with political harassment by hanging out in political echo chambers.
That's the quote of the day :D

I'm a Christian and I've only been to Chick-Fil-A maybe 3 times? Possibly 4? I don't frequent places just because they're Christian or because they are similar to my political beliefs.

The most political harassment I've endured has been on Facebook. My Liberal friends like to trash talk Republicans often and it's vile. They're believing everything CNN feeds them :(
It goes both ways. I mean, how many more "Show this (meme) to your snowflake (aka: wuss) friends" can I take? ;)

Last edited:

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
It goes both ways. I mean, how many more "Show this (meme) to your snowflake (aka: wuss) friends" can I take? ;)
Do you really see those? Maybe I've seen a couple? Maybe it's because my conservative friends on FB are older and less into wanting to insult others? A lot of my liberal friends are former students and in their 20s. They're the worst ones to flame.

Matthew

Lt. Cmdr. Data
Jun 28, 2010
West Virginia
FP$
Maybe lumping an entire group of people like that is part of the problem?
It's a huge problem and it happens on both sides. I see plenty of hateful Republicans and I see plenty of hateful Democrats. Both sides will find fault in any statement provided. Social media is notorious for creating division. My timeline is filled with extremely conservative individuals like Jason mentioned. It's also filled with extremely liberal individuals guilty of the same. Just my thoughts on the lumping a group together comment. It goes both ways, media are equally guilty no matter which station you follow (Fox, CNN, etc), and the division is demonstrated in this very thread. Until both parties treat each other with respect, we're all up a creek without a paddle no matter what your affiliation is.

I think the moral of this topic would be more of how we handle harrassment ourselves when it's directed our way. I would go as far as saying discussing political affiliations is way beside the point based on the OP's driving question found at the bottom. Just my two cents on that.

Anyways, I personally really like Chik Fil A. One sandwich fills me up fine. I also shop from Target. I base my business on my needs. Political affiliation has no place in business. In fact, others shopping preferences aren't my business either. I prefer businesses who support individuals with special needs. That fact neither adds to or detracts from the lives of those in this thread. What people do with their money is their business. We should all recognize that and stop feeding into the negativity online. As for how I handle harrassment, I move on and don't keep negative people in my life. My primary goal is happiness. If people share something I don't agree with, I move on. If it upsets me, I'll either hide or report it depending on what it is (think gory videos). If someone bothers me, I ignore them. If they continue, I remove them. It makes life so much simpler.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
It's a huge problem and it happens on both sides. I see plenty of hateful Republicans and I see plenty of hateful Democrats. Both sides will find fault in any statement provided. Social media is notorious for creating division. My timeline is filled with extremely conservative individuals like Jason mentioned. It's also filled with extremely liberal individuals guilty of the same. Just my thoughts on the lumping a group together comment. It goes both ways, media are equally guilty no matter which station you follow (Fox, CNN, etc), and the division is demonstrated in this very thread. Until both parties treat each other with respect, we're all up a creek without a paddle no matter what your affiliation is.
It's human nature to hate - well, sinful nature. It's fun to hate. ;)