Bloatware on new computers

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
When you buy a new computer the company has put on tons of bloatware. What things do you immediately remove off your new computer?

cryptik

i exploit & break into things
May 22, 2011
FP$
Any little thing that isn't native to Windows. I use powershell to remove the metro apps as some of them cannot be uninstalled normally. Overall I don't want any crappy MS apps or any third party software that I didn't install.

Or you just wipe the drive and install Linux bare-metal lol

I'm used to desktops and building them up and installing my own OS onto an SSD drive. The only time that I will uninstall the software if you brought a laptop and it comes with things, like HP for an example comes with its own software that is pointless.

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
It's interesting that HP has been mentioned because that's what kind of laptop my dad bought and is having problems with. I live 12 hours away and can't wait to get back there to see what kind of crud is put on that thing!

Dan-Kode

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
FP$
It's interesting that HP has been mentioned because that's what kind of laptop my dad bought and is having problems with.
Do you know the Model? Sometimes the Model can be a problem. If it's just one out of the Versions of that Model, it's probably faulty Hardware. If it's faulty Hardware, you might wanna get it sent away for a check-up before your Dad has no Computer.

why not install Linux. It is very easy to use.
I highly disagree. Unless, @Lämmchen, installs a Distro like Mint, other Distros(Like Ubuntu), will take a while to settle into. In fact, the same might even apply to Mint, even though it's aimed towards Windows-Users.

I would not recommend that @Lämmchen, to install a GNU/Linux Distro(No matter it's difficulty), on her Father's Computer. GNU/Linux comes with it's own batch of problems. Things like Drivers, Fragmentation(Different Desktop-Environments, Software/Package Managers etc.) and Hardware Compatibility in general. Also, what if something goes wrong during Installation? What if they forgot to back-up any important Files(E.g. Family Photos).

@Lämmchen, DO NOT INSTALL A GNU/LINUX DISTRO.

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
My dad wouldn't know how to work with Linux. He ended up wiping everything clean and having Windows reinstalled and so far was able to do what he wanted to do with the laptop...watch YouTube tv LOL

Dan-Kode

Reputable
Aug 12, 2019
FP$
My dad wouldn't know how to work with Linux.
Yeah, I doubt he would be able to. GNU/Linux can be a bit confusing to non-technical Users.

having Windows reinstalled
Well, as long as he has Windows re-installed, the Computer shouldn't have as much Bloatware. Seeing as it's a HP Laptop anyway. I myself own a HP Laptop and when I got rid of GNU/Linux Ubuntu and re-installed Windows 10, it booted-up a lot faster and just felt a lot smoother. So, hopefully, your Father experiences the same thing.

watch YouTube tv
All of that.....Just to watch YOUTUBE TV!?!?!?!?!?!

NOLOL

• Haha
Reactions: Lämmchen