Solved Blog

Discussion in 'Solved Archive' started by xXInfectedXx, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXInfectedXx

xXInfectedXx Former Staff

+430
    Then you have the Web Hosting and essential costs, I can see where Cameron is coming from. Let's stay on topic of the original post.

2. Cam

Cam Owner Administrator Owner

+1,045
    We could certainly do this, but I don't think more FP$ is going to lead to more individuals submitting blog articles.

How is this topic being rejected? Because we won't be offering cash rewards to our users for writing on our blog? Only members have responded to you since I posted my response last night.

We aren't currently using Adsense.

3. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+302
    It won't lol, not until $FP has actual value.

4. Princess MeowsePad

Princess MeowsePad Chocolate Foot Princess Retired Admin

+1,069
    Everyone who has tried to make the blog not dead will tell you that it's simply not going to work on FP. It's the wrong audience for it. Where there is no demand, there cannot be success.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+302

There’s no market for it right now. It takes a lot of time and effort to write reviews, let alone blog posts.

6. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+341
    To be honest, I forgot FP even had a blog.
    It's not really... visible in the rest of the site.

Sure, there's a link at the top, but it doesn't tell you much that's going on there and you learn to ignore it like ads.

7. Hissae2

Hissae2 Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+342
    I really don't want to see any more time or effort wasted working on something that has been tried and failed so many times before. Why would it be any different this time?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  8. Cam

Cam Owner Administrator Owner

+1,045
    That's the purpose of bringing it to the homepage. It's never made sense to have a separate "Blog" page, and then to have some static homepage that lists FP's stats and that type of stuff. Especially when you take into account that the homepage has never been mobile friendly.

At the end of the day, we still have a blog though, and we have had one for a number of years. So I don't really understand that debate. Why does it matter if we put a little bit of resources into trying to make it somewhat decent? It'll look better and have more visibility on the homepage, and we're not going to have a dedicated group of individuals for it. I was just thinking I'd invest like $20 a month into it to make sure there's a new blog article every week or two. So long as we are reasonable with what we're trying to achieve, I think we will be fine. Expecting a "Content Team" or "Editorial Team" to consistently pump out articles for FP$ was always an unrealistic goal. Even when FP$ was especially valuable.

If we opt to completely throw out our blog, then what is the alternative? What will be on our homepage? A static homepage seems to have always been the answer to that, but that makes the least amount of sense.

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Manners maketh man Retired Admin

+946
    The blog has spent time as the FP homepage. It was not popular then either. The question is: what do you want people to see first when they visit the site: rarely updated blog content, a page that sells the benefits of using this site, or the forum index? Personally I think that showing the forum index might actually result in the greatest rate of conversions from guests to members.

No one is arguing to delete the blog. It is definitely more reasonable to spend less time on it. Though you would probably see more benefit in spending that $20 on ads than on paying people on fiverr to write... what? Hard-hitting journalism? I just don’t see the point. What content do you want to put on the blog, and why do you want it to be the first thing that members see when they visit your website. I mean maybe google should put a blog on the homepage of google.com so that their blog will have visibility, rather than the thing that people actually visit that page for — a search box. Likewise people visit FP to promote their site, so you want to give them either something that lets them promote their site, or information about how to do it. Not some article about I don’t even know what.

Listen to the people who have actually made the current blog what it is today. Believe it or not we actually know a thing or two about how the blog has done in the past, and likewise what its potential to succeed in the future is. I wrote as many articles for the blog as anyone else. While it was on the homepage. But the view numbers it was getting were pathetic, yes even on the homepage, so we replaced it with a static homepage that tells people how to use FP. If you want to spend $20, have someone put the index on the homepage, or have them write a couple media queries to make the homepage responsive. That will be a one time expense, not a pointless $20 monthly fee.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+341
    You could put the forum as the homepage and turn one of the forums into the "blog" with it's own associated styling, so people can see when there's something new there. That might take work though.

• Like Like x 3
  11. John

John Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+885
    The forum, perhaps? The static homepage has always been a joke; and the blog is a joke. People come here for the forum; not to read FP$ paid blog articles, or wannabe XF geniuses from Fiverr.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+302
    Well yeah. You literally have the word forum in the title of the site. I'd much rather see that than opening up an outdated blog page.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Web2019

Web2019 Up-and-Coming Sensation

+64
    FP Blog last updated on March 22, 2018

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  14. Jerlene

Jerlene The Senseless Blogger Administrator

+723
    Closing this thread as it's been nearly 2 weeks since a post has been made in here and over 2 weeks since an actual suggestion was made.
    For anyone that is curious, we are planning on giving the blog another try. (Although I personally like the idea of making the blog a forum section.) We won't be getting rid of it, like a lot of you have suggested. No harm in trying one more time, right?
    We're actively working on it though and you will soon see some new articles on the blog. Something exciting to look forward to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.