Breast Cancer Research Foundation (October 2018)

Discussion in 'FP$ Charity' started by Count Chocula, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Owner Administrator Owner

+359
    Breast Cancer Research Foundation
    https://www.bcrf.org/
    This is a late topic, but it is now October, and it is time to select another charity. Instead of going through nominations and voting this time, I've gone ahead and selected an excellent charity that is dedicated to finding the cure for Breast Cancer. As you may know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. With that being said, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is our featured charity for October 2018.

How does it work?
    • 1,000 FP$ = $2 donation to this very important cause. You can donate as much as you like. Just keep it in increments of 1,000 FP$.
    • Send all of your FP$ donations to @Cameron.
    • Donations will be accepted for this particular charity all throughout the rest of this month, with October 31st being the final day that we will accept FP$ donations for this cause.
    • At the end of the month, I will go through and total all of the FP$ donations that are made, and a lump sum of these donations will be sent to this charity on November 1st.
    • We will have a sticky topic where we record all of the different FP$ donations that take place, and proof of payment to this fantastic charity will be shared as well. This allows us to keep track of the change FP is making around the world with this offer.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask below. As always, thank you for your continued support of Forum Promotion.

Regards,
    Cameron

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:38 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+189
    Although your post is about the BCRF, your link points to St. Jude Children's Research.

I do have a question. If you are pooling funds for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, have they been made aware that this event is going on FP?

And if not, wouldn't it make more sense to ask users to report their donations to the BCRF and offer them a cash trade for FP?

There is an unpleasant ethical dilemma if you are using charitable donations to boost the value of FP Cash, a digital currency linked to a forum based on ad revenue. To avoid this situation, either the charity must be informed or the charitable donation should be transferred from the user giving charity. Otherwise, a charity's name is being used to improve a forum and/or its currency. And that's not good at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DylRicho

DylRicho Up-and-Coming Sensation

+63
    It's morally and ethically wrong to use a charity and/or its name for a personal gain.

It also seems to benefit just one person, and that's the person interacting with the charity.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HackedGames

HackedGames New Arrival

+5
    There seems to be something shady about this. Why not just let people donate to the charity themselves?

Seems like there's some ego-driven things going on here...

hmm...

o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lord Voldematt

Lord Voldematt Manners maketh man Administrator

+756
    Don’t businesses do that all the time?

“For every purchase, we donate $x.xx to charity Y”

“Would you like to round up your bill to donate to charity?”

Examples: Amazon Smile; Evey time i check out at Whole Foods

Do those companies write off the donation? I don’t know, but probably in some cases. Do those companies gain brand value from doing it? Yes, yes, yes, that’s why they do it.

A partnership may be advisable in these situations, but I have seen small operations do this with large charities, and I doubt they all have a true partnership. Amazon probably has not reached a specific arrangement with the thousands of charities in their Amazon Smile database.

This is pretty common, and almost any charity would accept the money I think... there isn’t usually an ethical problem with donating to charity.

I suppose it’d be cool if we could all write off our FP$ with the IRS, but something tells me that that wouldn’t fly with the tax man. If you want to claim a charity donation, you probably have to donate cash rather than internet points, haha.

Thanks for bringing up the concerns. It’s something for all of us to think about. I personally don’t see an issue. Ultimately it’s up to Cameron though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. Ajay

Ajay Up-and-Coming Sensation Review Team Team Leader

+75
    Amazon is kinda different. They're donating .5% of your order total. You're not actually sending them any currency, whether it's FP$ or cash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rick Ace

+189
    Ethically speaking, there are several questions to ask here. First whether the charitable organization gains a greater benefit? The second question is whether the benefiting corporation/business/organization has greater name recognition than the charitable organization? Most charities choose to work with an organization that has more recognition than their own name. Another issue here is that charitable money is being pooled without the permission of the charitable organization collecting the money. Most charities generally advise users to avoid these schemes even though they may be legitimate.

Corporations break ethical guidelines all the time, and charities deal with them on a daily basis. As someone from a related field, I can say with confidence that the idea of buying back forum currency and utilizing "Breast Cancer Research" as an incentive would raise a red flag and would likely breach several ethical norms as I've stated above.

By making my earlier post, I was holding FP higher than the sleazy tactics of greedy corporations. It also happens on an individual level on Youtube, sometimes with a fight, and sometimes without it. So, it's not a question if it happens elsewhere, but it's about making the more informed decision, respecting the wishes of these charities and their beneficiaries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lord Voldematt

Lord Voldematt Manners maketh man Administrator

+756
    Yeah, I understand what you mean. To be honest I think we just wanted to solve a problem that has been plaguing this forum for a long time (members with a lot of FP$, I’m talking thousands, don’t really have anything to do with it, and the excess kicks our economy off balance) while also doing some real good for people. But we hear you, and we’ll think about it. This is up to Cameron of course, and I’m just giving my opinion. The charity donation idea seemed well received by members when we proposed it.

https://forumpromotion.net/forum/threads/fp-charity.157488/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rick Ace

+189
    A cancer charity shouldn't become an incentive to solve an FP Cash problem though (at least not without the charity acknowledged), because you have to realize that there are the feelings of those who are working in this charity and especially the feelings of those who are in need of their care. The two (FP Cash and charity as an incentive) should be de-linked so that the charity isn't an incentive to accomplish the forum community's own goals.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DylRicho

DylRicho Up-and-Coming Sensation

+63
    From that thread, I suppose you could pass it off as "well-received," but there really wasn't any alternative offered.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Count Chocula

+359
    I have corrected the URL. That's a typo from using the template from when we had St. Jude as our featured charity. BCRF has not been made aware of this, nor do I see any reason to contact them beyond sending them the total donation amount at the end of the month.

I'm not really sure what you are referring to as "personal gain." And how is me interacting with the charity a benefit? Yes, I'm the one making this cash donation to the charity. It's not like I'm receiving anything from these charities for the donations that have been made. I guess you could argue that it's something I could write off on my taxes, but I don't foresee there really ever being a large enough sum for that to even be worth the effort.

I am very sorry that you feel that I am shady, but I'm not entirely sure how I can change that. You're more than welcome to make donations to this charity yourself. I'd have no problem sending you FP$ if you can send me proof of you making the donation. Honestly, I'd give FP$ to anyone making a donation to any legitimate, honest charity. That's something that I really don't have a problem with putting money towards, especially this particular charity/cause that is being featured this month. My grandmother passed away back in May after battling Breast Cancer for over a decade, so it's definitely something that I have a personal connection to.

That topic was me making a suggestion based on something previous ownership did nearly a decade ago, and feedback regarding this idea was definitely positive. People were more than welcome to reply with feedback or offer an alternative in that topic. In fact, you are welcome to create a topic in our Community Matters forum to see how the rest of our community feels about this issue. Until then, I don't see any reason to discontinue this offer.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 1:19 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. danthex

danthex GamingBoards.net King

+40
    1000 FP$ sent, this is a great cause. Thank you.

EDIT: I'm not sure why others are giving you such a hard time with this. You're helping this foundation receive donations it otherwise wouldn't have. This is breast cancer awareness and I feel the idea came from your heart, not for personal gain nor to boost FP's "currency". My beautiful mother is a Breast Cancer survivor, so thank you for trying to raise donations for a very good cause.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Count Chocula

+359
    Thank you for your donation! I greatly appreciate your support. It's always amazing to hear about survivors. When was your mother first diagnosed?

• Like Like x 1
  14. danthex

danthex GamingBoards.net King

+40
    Back in 2006, she's a strong woman, and a survivor! :bluesquaresmug:

15. IT

IT Madly Diligent Review Team

+675
    I don't know anyone personally that has been diagnosed with breast cancer (that I am aware of), however, I have sent in my donation in to Cameron.