Calling Teachers by first names--should it be allowed?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by AnAccount, Sep 21, 2011.

1. AnAccount

AnAccount Seasoned Veteran

+0
    Okay, we all know that once we have completed our education and graduated, we have the privelege of calling our teachers by their first name instead of Mr., Mrs., Ms., etc. Should this be allowed?

This is one subject I always have been iffy about, because I'm all about respect. If a teacher allows us to call him/her by her first name, then I'm sure that's an exception. However, I've always felt it a little more respectful to keep calling them Mr., Mrs. or Ms even after someone has completed their education. In fact, being out of high school for about three years, I still call teacher's by their proper title.

When my LD teacher moved here around 2002, since she was new she allowed us to call her by her first name for a while, but once she settled in and got used to the routine, we had to call her "Mrs." and her last name.

Really, I just feel it's more respectful to use the terms Mr., Mrs. or Ms. even when you are no longer in school. It's all a matter of showing these people respect even though you're no longer a student.

What are your views on this?

2. Aaron

Aaron Bah Humbug Forum Sponsor

+223
    At High School I was allowed to call the teachers by their first name.

3. Fiona1964

Fiona1964 Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+197
    I would still call my teachers by Mr,Mrs, or Ms and I left school in 1980
    I remember bumping in to one of my PE teachersa few years ago and I still called him Mr, Black and I will contune to call teachers that way I was taught to repect my teachers

4. AnAccount

+0
    I do too. Because like you, I have also been taught to respect authority figures, and this does include teachers. Even now, I still say, "Hi Mr. Hanson" or "Hi Mrs. Blair" for a couple examples. Just something I've gotten used to doing, really. I know when one teacher said that we would be allowed to call our teacher's by their first name after high school, like many of my peers/friends, I was excited about being able to call them by first names. Now days it doesn't phase me. Once a teacher has introduce him/herself, and they tell you what name they want to use, well, you just have to respect their decision.

5. Poopy Head

Poopy Head Seasoned Veteran

+34
    I always respect my teachers by not announcing the first name I don't think it should be allowed.

6. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    In my old school yeah, most of my teachers were around 8-10 years older than me though so it felt normal.

7. Aaron

+223
    Some schools are different though.

8. Poopy Head

+34
    I know, I just believe that it should be a rule for all schools. It's a rule in mine, that's for sure. Call your teacher by their first names and you'll regret it. :shake:

9. Aaron

+223
    I'm used to calling them by their first names. It wasn't illegal, and it was normal for everyone at HS to say Pam, Mary, Jon etc. It wasn't common for someone to say Mr, or Mrs but I remember a couple did.

10. Poopy Head

+34
    :lol: Well at my school that's like a primary rule.

11. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    Just depends where you're at and how old your teachers are.

12. Aaron

+223
    One was about old enough to retire. :shock:

13. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2
    I always call them Mr. Whatever etc.

14. Aaron

+223
    Luke. I've never seen a teacher with their last name as Whatever. :eek:

15. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    Ah well like I said most of my teachers were under 25, I think I had 2 that were over 30?

16. Aaron

+223
    Funny thing to this debate. My friend called one of her teachers by Mrs. Thorn, but got in trouble because my friend wasn't calling her by her first name. :shrug:

17. AnAccount

+0
    I disagree with age being the factor. They could've just graduated from college right before school started, for all we know. So I think younger teacher's deserve the same amount of respect as those who've been there for a while.

18. Gimgak

Gimgak Madly Diligent

+8
    New Zealand seems like an interesting place in regards to schooling lol.

19. Luke

Luke Seasoned Veteran

+2
    Or Fluffy went to a weird school :p

20. Watch Me Sink

Watch Me Sink Madly Diligent

+0
    Whatever a teacher signs an email (to students) with, I call them by. I don't call them Dr. if they sign their email as John.