Changing forum software?

Bizdustry.com

Madly Diligent
Nov 7, 2014
FP$
Cookie Badge
Have you ever changed or perhaps your planning to make a transition shortly? If you are or have already which forum software? And, what were the reasons for the change?

Talk Mental Health

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Went from SMF to IPB and it was not as simple as it was back 5 years ago when I did it. I had to restart again rather then marge as IPS released new software and they have or not supported the merged software yet. It can be a painful move and a but at times, expecting that it won't go smooth.

KnownSyntax

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 21, 2016
Arizona, United States
FP$
I've gone from MyBB to phpBB (easy), however I feel like once you go from something that is somewhat similar to something that is not (specifically I tried to go phpBB to Woltlab) it doesn't end up nicely. The settings clash, and it honestly makes better sense to just grab the users, topics, and posts while dropping all other information when trying those types of migrations (even then, leaves a weird experience dependent on how familiar the two are from a user interface setting).

I always recommend going from one to another on a staging subdomain and database, so you can see how things will line up before just going all in like many do.

TopSilver

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2019
www.mindpiff.com
FP$
Yes I changed from vBulletin 5 to Xenforo 1. There also was a short time where I changed softwares from Xenforo 1 back to vBulletin 5 but regretted it. To this day I plan to permanently stick with Xenforo 2. It's so much better then anything else.

Deathstarr

Resident
Jul 2, 2009
Southeastern US
AlabamaGunForum.com
FP$
I’ve went from almost every software to another.
PHPBB to smf,
PHPBBto MyBB
Ipb to Vb
vb to Xenforo
IPB to VB
Vb to Mybb
Phpbb to VB/IPB
every way you can think of with those softwares. Some were easy some were hard. Some I had to go to an old version then upgrade to the latest. Just depends on the software and limits and what you are looking for. Most of mine are Blank to Xenforo now.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
I’ve went from almost every software to another.
PHPBB to smf,
PHPBBto MyBB
Ipb to Vb
vb to Xenforo
IPB to VB
Vb to Mybb
Phpbb to VB/IPB
every way you can think of with those softwares. Some were easy some were hard. Some I had to go to an old version then upgrade to the latest. Just depends on the software and limits and what you are looking for. Most of mine are Blank to Xenforo now.

What was your hardest to easy and what are you with now?

Cumulus

Marketing Team Leader 📊
Marketing Team
Oct 8, 2020
UK
FP$
Thank You Badge
I've done a fair few transitions in my-time of forum administration. Lots of the traditional legacy scripts (MyBB, phpBB, IPB, Xenforo) but a lot recently have been to Discourse actually: Not a fan of the over-simplification of the script personally but seems fairly popular at the moment