Crafting Forum

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
I did a quick search and could not find any crafting forums created by members here at FP. If I were to create something like that I would have to go for free software to use because I don't have funds to pay for anything right now. This is all happening in my head right now because when I did a search for a type of forum I'm looking for, the ones I like haven't been maintained and I see a ton of spam happening.

IF I were to do such a forum would there be any interest in people doing post exchanges from here on FP?

What free software or free forum hosting site should I use?

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Hey,

If you're interested in working together, I can perhaps provide a license to XenForo, vBulletin or even Invision? Just let me know.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Hey,

If you're interested in working together, I can perhaps provide a license to XenForo, vBulletin or even Invision? Just let me know.

That's generous! I need to figure out some things before I commit such as how would I draw people to the site and get them to register and post and not just lurk, and where would I go to get post exchanges? It seems there wouldn't be many people here on FP willing to do a post exchange with this genre and I understand that. There wouldn't be any "General" type of forum because it would be quite large in options of all types of crafts.

Years ago on CH we tried doing memes and posted them on Facebook to get exposure...with our URL at the bottom. It didn't give us many members but one meme did get thousands of views which I found shocking! I might try that if I can come up with some clever things to say and then join a bunch of Facebook crafting Groups to post the meme in. No one would know the link at the bottom was my site and the meme message would be relevant to them so it would be allowed. I need more ideas though.

I'm good at organizing though and that's a plus. I have in my head how to lay out the forums to make them not look cluttered at first glance. But crafting encompasses many things (even woodworking, leather crafting, jewelry making) so all these have to be considered and built up as well to draw people in. Placing links to YouTube Tutorials is a must and allowing advertising for their Etsy shops or their own webpage is also a must. It would be nice to charge them for that even if it's mere pennies. With my organizing I could easily fill up a forum with links to many different types of projects that people might want to browse through even though Pinterest gives them that option easily. How do I compete with Pinterest? What would I give them that Pinterest can't? So many questions I need to get worked out.

Lord Saru

Seasoned Veteran
How about craft ideas reviews?

Like there are so many instagram channels that gives your craft ideas but most of them donot necessarily end up in what the videos display.

So some authentic and honest craft idea reviews will be excellent.

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
How about craft ideas reviews?

Like there are so many instagram channels that gives your craft ideas but most of them donot necessarily end up in what the videos display.

So some authentic and honest craft idea reviews will be excellent.

That's a very good idea for me to include. Thanks! I did a quick search to see who else does stuff like that and I found a blog site that was 2 years old.