Solved Delete the Community Matters forum or restrict it to staff posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
It is clear that the staff members on this forum have no intention of listening to the community on any issue, so I propose that the Community Matters forum be deleted or restricted to staff posting (since at least then we would actually see what the staff members are planning).

Threads lately that have been disregarded by staff:

https://forumpromotion.net/forum/threads/deletion.159682/ - Twenty users voting (which is actually a high amount for FP right now), the majority of whom think soft delete should be an option for users. The logical solution would be either to implement it or make a compromise (i.e. you can soft delete if there hasn't been a post after it or within a certain period of time). However, the admins made it clear that they are not going to listen to the community on this issue.

https://forumpromotion.net/forum/threads/reform-or-abolish-the-community-team.159666/ - There is an overwhelming consensus that the FP staff is bloated and inefficient, but the admins have made it clear that there will be no staff changes despite overwhelming support from the community. It also somehow took a segway into some kind of FP app, which nobody has asked for.

These two topics clearly show that the FP staff members have their own lane and don't like it when the community veers into it with feedback or suggestions. That being said, there is no reason for Community Matters to be here. Either delete it or restrict it to staff posting, since the staff members are the only people who have any input whatsoever right now anyway.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Will provide a response when I get off work, although I don’t feel this topic is remotely accurate or fair, for that matter.
I respect you, Cameron. You're a very smart, competent person, and I feel like you definitely have the skills and knowledge to be a good owner of Forum Promotion. However, you are disregarding what the community wants right now and pursuing your own agenda that nobody really asked for, and that's a fatal mistake that numerous owners before you have made.

Jon

GamingBoards.net King
Community Team
I'd have to disagree with you @Princess MeowsePad, the staff here at FP do care, and absolutely take the feedback given by members seriously. However, you have to understand that change takes time. There are a million things that have to work with a single change, there are forms that need to be rewritten, protocols, rules & policies, moderation processes, and so much more. Implementing change isn't something that happens fast, and it shouldn't. It's important the community moves in the right direction for the better of all of its members, not just those willing to express their opinions.

Remember, there are many changes happening at once, many different sectors improving and growing for the better. Even once a decision has been made, change takes a very long time to properly implement. For example, GamingBoards has decided we want to offer our community a "Night mode" theme switch since it was a very popular demand from our members. This decision for change was approved and decided on almost a year ago, however, to make this one simple change, we've had to absolutely revamp the entire system and it's still not released to our members, and won't be for at least another month or so.

We're listening, we care, and we absolutely encourage the awesome members of this community to continue sharing their constructive feedback with us, so we can continuously better this community as a whole.

Ash

Madly Diligent
Just want to share my thoughts on what has been happening recently. I feel like a lot of the criticism has been unfair and there seems to be a lot of people that seem to be attacking aspects of ForumPromotion and making it almost, them vs us rather than trying to help as a community.

A lot of the points made by various users have been fair and we are taking it on board. To simply say that we are ignoring community matters is wrong as we are discussing everything including the soft delete matter. Firstly, we did not add a poll ourselves and we didn't say that we would add the feature the moment the poll ended. It is not as simple as just enabling the feature because there are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration. Do we let all users delete their content? Do we add controls to stop users soft deleting all their content? Is it fair to let all content be deleted no matter what?

Regarding staff changes, there's not much I can say really. It's up to Cameron in the end and I'm sure he has taken into consideration everything that has been said.

I completely disagree with the community matters forum being deleted or closed. This section is for feedback and suggestions and we are always happy to hear what the community has to say and we always take everything into consideration. But everyone needs to remember that this is "feedback & suggestions" and not a forum where you post something and it automatically gets added.

Just because the staff is reluctant to a few feedback, does not mean you should look at it negatively. That deletion thread is one I agree with. I'm telling you that it's a good move. If you don't understand that, that's your prerogative.

How would you like it if a user came into your board, became a loyal user, posts half the posts that were on the board, and decides one day to delete all of them? That happened to me when goddamn GDPR came from the left field. That pissed me off to no end. That's not someone you want on your board. That's not something you want spreading like a virus. Yet, it is happening because Europeans think that technology "is bad." Don't believe me? Check this video...

The second thread, where there's a request to abolish a "team," I don't know what your point was, but they did change and "abolish" the team a few times. It is just a usergroup, and nothing more. Staff who've been "away" have other things to tend to, and you make it sound like they want to abandon us.

I think you are the most negative person I've ever met on these boards. (I'm taliking about @Princess MeowsePad) I like that sometimes, you're nice, but the 95 percent of the time...? You're negative. Posting negative stories all the time. What's next? You go all ham on people? Maybe reflect on yourself, learn to be more positive, and think critically, rather than just jumping on a bandwagon.

These days, everyone's doing it. But it doesn't mean that you need to do it, too.

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
I have to disagree as well. The Community Matters is one of the most active if not the most active section on this forum. Removing this section would likely result in many people logging in at all. Have you seen the pattern lately? Many people seem to monitor topics in this section and occasionally post in other areas during their visit.

Every administration moderates differently, and this one certainly isn't as bad as Nerdie's attempt to forge a community. Therefore, give them space and time.

• Agree
Reactions: TechWiz18

DylRicho

#ForThePeople
Jan 30, 2012
Venus
cpugrade.com
FP$
You know what, I'm not going to keep quiet anymore.

As someone who was once a part of the Community Team, alongside @Ajay, I will say that my time as a staff member on Forum Promotion in its current state of existence wasn't what I thought it would be.

Trust me guys when I tell you that this isn't just going on in public boards. As a Community Team Member, I felt disrespected, that my opinion was worth diddly-squat and that my past experiences on other forums meant absolutely nothing because I was always told that "we know best." In short, the administrators don't care.

@Cameron Taylor, I've known you for going on 10 years this year. I honestly thought a familiar face taking over this place would bring positive vibes to what is essentially an empty shell of what it used to be. However, it pains me to say this, but from my own experiences, the administrator team is reluctant to change. It seems like a few of those administrators have since moved on since I last actively posted here.

Last edited:
One more thing: I was just about to say this:
I completely disagree with the community matters forum being deleted or closed. This section is for feedback and suggestions and we are always happy to hear what the community has to say and we always take everything into consideration. But everyone needs to remember that this is "feedback & suggestions" and not a forum where you post something and it automatically gets added.
...but @Ash nailed it in the head.

Without Community Matters (ahem; "feedback & suggestions*), there is no way to give staff feedback or suggestions, or bugs that may arise.

I'm going to enlarge the font so you get it.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerlene

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
I'd have to disagree with you @Princess MeowsePad, the staff here at FP do care, and absolutely take the feedback given by members seriously. However, you have to understand that change takes time. There are a million things that have to work with a single change, there are forms that need to be rewritten, protocols, rules & policies, moderation processes, and so much more. Implementing change isn't something that happens fast, and it shouldn't. It's important the community moves in the right direction for the better of all of its members, not just those willing to express their opinions.
I don't think MeowsePad was implying that the staff on FP didn't care about the community at all. Her point, which is fairly valid, is asking the point of the Community Matters board. Aside @Daniel's thread (which, shoutout to him for listening and taking action upon suggestions), what is happening in CM that is being implemented? The "behind the scenes" excuse isn't what you should tell your community. They might wake up tomorrow and realized that FP is being moved to vB. I mean, hell, if you want ideas, why not ask them -- better yet -- take the ideas they've already given you.

Remember, there are many changes happening at once, many different sectors improving and growing for the better. Even once a decision has been made, change takes a very long time to properly implement. For example, GamingBoards has decided we want to offer our community a "Night mode" theme switch since it was a very popular demand from our members. This decision for change was approved and decided on almost a year ago, however, to make this one simple change, we've had to absolutely revamp the entire system and it's still not released to our members, and won't be for at least another month or so.
I'm sure @Lucky could add a soft delete option in ten minutes. This ain't rocket science. :p

We're listening, we care, and we absolutely encourage the awesome members of this community to continue sharing their constructive feedback with us, so we can continuously better this community as a whole.
Damn, thanks for the compliment. :heart:

Just want to share my thoughts on what has been happening recently. I feel like a lot of the criticism has been unfair and there seems to be a lot of people that seem to be attacking aspects of ForumPromotion and making it almost, them vs us rather than trying to help as a community.

A lot of the points made by various users have been fair and we are taking it on board. To simply say that we are ignoring community matters is wrong as we are discussing everything including the soft delete matter. Firstly, we did not add a poll ourselves and we didn't say that we would add the feature the moment the poll ended. It is not as simple as just enabling the feature because there are a lot of things that need to be taken into consideration. Do we let all users delete their content? Do we add controls to stop users soft deleting all their content? Is it fair to let all content be deleted no matter what?
Why not ask the community what they want? It was a pretty popular topic in general, and I'm sure if you asked for opinions members would give you theirs. However, as I said above, a soft delete feature isn't like recoding the wheel. :p

Regarding staff changes, there's not much I can say really. It's up to Cameron in the end and I'm sure he has taken into consideration everything that has been said.

Of course ideas shouldn't be automatically added, but with some of these ideas, are you really losing anything from implementing them? If you add a soft delete feature, what are you losing? However, it can make an already active member like @xXInfectedXx happy in the long run, because you're proving to him that you care about his opinion.

Just because the staff is reluctant to a few feedback, does not mean you should look at it negatively. That deletion thread is one I agree with. I'm telling you that it's a good move. If you don't understand that, that's your prerogative.

How would you like it if a user came into your board, became a loyal user, posts half the posts that were on the board, and decides one day to delete all of them? That happened to me when goddamn GDPR came from the left field. That pissed me off to no end. That's not someone you want on your board. That's not something you want spreading like a virus. Yet, it is happening because Europeans think that technology "is bad." Don't believe me? Check this video...

I don't understand what GDPR has to do with this. Your point is invalid.

The second thread, where there's a request to abolish a "team," I don't know what your point was, but they did change and "abolish" the team a few times. It is just a usergroup, and nothing more. Staff who've been "away" have other things to tend to, and you make it sound like they want to abandon us.
His point was literally to try and have less colored names posting. It seems like everyone on this forum has a color nowdays.

I think you are the most negative person I've ever met on these boards. (I'm taliking about @Princess MeowsePad) I like that sometimes, you're nice, but the 95 percent of the time...? You're negative. Posting negative stories all the time. What's next? You go all ham on people? Maybe reflect on yourself, learn to be more positive, and think critically, rather than just jumping on a bandwagon.
Dude, that's pretty low. Calm down a bit. MeowsePad has contributed more to this forum than almost anyone else in its long history. All of his posts are pointing towards specific things and making specific suggestions to help fix them.

I have to disagree as well. The Community Matters is one of the most active if not the most active section on this forum. Removing this section would likely result in many people logging in at all. Have you seen the pattern lately? Many people seem to monitor topics in this section and occasionally post in other areas during their visit.
Drama sells dude. Perhaps it's a good move, but what's the point of keeping the section if ideas aren't taken to heart and at least tried?

Every administration moderates differently, and this one certainly isn't as bad as Nerdie's attempt to forge a community. Therefore, give them space and time.
That's like comparing them to Chipotle health scores dude. A low bar indeed. :p

Reactions: Ash and TechWiz18
I don't understand what GDPR has to do with this. Your point is invalid.
Just because there's a mention of "GDPR" does not mean you need to respond this way. Listen to what I said. Obviously, you didn't. You just read "GDPR," and responded without even realizing the point I was making. If I was owner of this board, I would have taken the same route that Cameron made. That's my point. You just ignored it.

And then, there's this one:
Dude, that's pretty low. Calm down a bit. MeowsePad has contributed more to this forum than almost anyone else in its long history. All of his posts are pointing towards specific things and making specific suggestions to help fix them.
That's not low. You don't know the first thing about "low," she (yes, a lady) has been negative in every single post she makes. This thread is just another day in the life of a drama queen trying to have an agenda. *shrugs* That's how I see it. If she doesn't like how I posted it, maybe improve. Maybe rethink how you post things.

I'm sure she's a nice person, but at the end of the day, every post: NEGATIVE. Everything is bad to her. Everything.

I am good with trying to make suggestions, and trying to improve or fix them, but not every single thread or post needs to be negative.
Drama sells dude. Perhaps it's a good move, but what's the point of keeping the section if ideas aren't taken to heart and at least tried?
See, people like you make me frustrated. Drama is stupid. Drama is for 5 year olds with nothing to do, and a lot of time on their hands. Drama is childish.

And: They did try. I pointed out that they swapped out old staff members with new ones.

I also disagree with the notion of less staff members posting. It just says that the site does not have moderators watching the forums. Is that what you want? You want trolls to come on the boards and trash the good name of FP? Goodness gracious. *shakes head*

• Wizard
Reactions: Jerlene

Ash

Madly Diligent
@John that was actually the plan (well it was @Lucky! who came up with this plan first). We understood that the soft delete feature was something that the community wanted. Therefore, we wanted to come up with a few options and then go back to the community to help us decide what they think about those options and which one we should go with.

I think the biggest problem with this is that the soft delete function is looked at in completely different ways by the users and staff. It's a great feature and very useful for users. It's an absolute headache for admins, especially the owner since it could be misused. What we are trying to do is to work out how it can be added in a way that is great for both users and the forum itself.

Sidenote: Isn't Princess a dude :D?

Reactions: John

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
Since you brought it up, what's the point of keeping forum promotion if there are barely any forums to promote?

That's like comparing them to Chipotle health scores dude. A low bar indeed. :p
Well, it's not my fault no one has set a higher bar yet. :p

We'll see what Cameron has to offer though. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and Carlos X

John

Madly Diligent
Dec 11, 2014
America
FP$
Just because there's a mention of "GDPR" does not mean you need to respond this way. Listen to what I said. Obviously, you didn't. You just read "GDPR," and responded without even realizing the point I was making. If I was owner of this board, I would have taken the same route that Cameron made. That's my point. You just ignored it.

And then, there's this one:
I didn't ignore your point; I didn't see a point in your post.

That's not low. You don't know the first thing about "low," she (yes, a lady) has been negative in every single post she makes. This thread is just another day in the life of a drama queen trying to have an agenda. *shrugs* That's how I see it. If she doesn't like how I posted it, maybe improve. Maybe rethink how you post things.

I'm sure she's a nice person, but at the end of the day, every post: NEGATIVE. Everything is bad to her. Everything.

I am good with trying to make suggestions, and trying to improve or fix them, but not every single thread or post needs to be negative.
No, it is low. Look at all these negative posts in the past few days. Man, I don't understand how FP allows these types of members to stick around! Before you call members out, please at least check your facts. MeowsePad has been one of the most active contributing members of the past few weeks. To say otherwise is just trying to start drama.

Anyway- this entire post is totally off topic and this thread is going off topic... already. Let's get back to talking about how to better implement ideas that the community has suggested, because right now this topic is pretty close to being locked, I'm sure.

• Agree
Reactions: Ajay
I didn't ignore your point; I didn't see a point in your post.
Then I am sorry. I pity you. You clearly don't understand my point of view. It's bad to allow members to "soft delete" posts or even permanently. It hurts businesses. The only posts I'd delete are spam posts. Nothing more, and nothing less. Or arguments that got out of hand - like right now. (But I split off argumentive posts rather than delete. To keep records of behavior - yet another reason not to allow soft delete/perma delete.) You're trying to argue with me just for the sake of "drama sells." Those are your words, not mine.
No, it is low. Look at all these negative posts in the past few days. Man, I don't understand how FP allows these types of members to stick around! Before you call members out, please at least check your facts. MeowsePad has been one of the most active contributing members of the past few weeks. To say otherwise is just trying to start drama.

Anyway- this entire post is totally off topic and this thread is going off topic... already. Let's get back to talking about how to better implement ideas that the community has suggested, because right now this topic is pretty close to being locked, I'm sure.
Man, that's your fault if you felt things are going off topic. SHE has been negative. If you were there in the same thread(s) as I was discussing things with her on threads, you'd know what I was thinking. I stopped posting altogether (sometimes) just because it became tiring by arguing with her. Everything she ever said was negative. You just don't see it because you're doing your own thing(s). I've been here day in, and day out.

Last edited:

Rick Ace

Seasoned Veteran
@Cameron Taylor, I've known you for going on 10 years this year. I honestly thought a familiar face taking over this place would bring positive vibes to what is essentially an empty shell of what it used to be. However, it pains me to say this, but from my own experiences, the administrator team is reluctant to change. It seems like a few of those administrators have since moved on since I last actively posted here.
I will say Cameron is under a lot of pressure. I assume ForumPromotion would have been an expensive purchase. There are also plenty of people with great expectations.

The unfortunate part here is that there is a lot of personal emotion going back and forth. And while the administration might not be happy to hear this, the drama that's going on here is a failure on their part. Why? Because it's not professional.

I don't think I ever imagined myself posting on a CM topic like this. But many have expressed their discontent to no avail. The only thing that bothers me right now is that FP might be coming to an end, but instead of happy nostalgic discussions, we're left with this.

The forum era is coming to an end. Why not mark it in a positive way?

Status
Not open for further replies.