Question Deleted accounts?

Discussion in 'Community Matters' started by Azareal, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+341
    Has anyone noticed that people with thousands of posts seem to be... deleting their accounts?
    I didn't even notice it until I saw Deleted Member here, Guest there, etc.

2. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell Administrator Administrator

+1,006
    To my knowledge, there has only been something like two requests in the past year. Unless I am wrong.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene The Senseless Blogger Administrator

+723
    I think there were only two. They don't delete their own accounts though. They request a deletion, we review it, then it either gets deleted(usually the case) or it doesn't(usually not the case).

4. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,298
    I don't see an delete account option. Other then requests

5. Jerlene

+723
    That's because the option isn't there. But everyone is free to request a deletion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Administrator Administrator

+322
    I've only heard of one or two cases. Deletion isn't commonly given.

7. Lucky!

Lucky! sudo rm -rf / Retired Admin

+633
    Admin team, you don't have a choice whether to delete or not. Not only do you have the EU against you, it's also in your privacy policy. I would recommend you read your rules and policies before trying state incorrect facts.

If someone requested their account to be deleted, just do it. If someone wants to see what data you have of theirs, you have to give it to them as per your policy.

8. Arvid

Arvid Addicted

+106
    Well then, give us a damn Button to delete our Accounts then. If People want to delete their Account then they shouldn't have to go through a stupid Review-Process just to have it deleted.

• A+ A+ x 1
  9. Lucky!

+633
    That's incorrect information. There is no review process. Go read their privacy policy :)

10. Arvid

Arvid Addicted

+106
    I just did there. Never seen anything about a Review-Process for Account Deletion. I might be reading things wrong here.

11. Lucky!

+633

Because there isn't a review process. Just request :) It's right there in their privacy policy and that means they need to adhere to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jerlene

+723
    Hmm. Misinterpretation?

For anyone confused:
    Let me be even more clear. We've had several requests for account deletion. Of those accounts, two were deleted. Others were given time to change their mind and they did.
    Also, the GDPR only applies if the user in question is from Europe, seeing as it is a European policy and we are a website ran and hosted in America.

But back to the topic at hand...maybe I should simplify my posts?

If someone wants their account deleted, they request it/let us know. We then look at the request, take notice of who requested it, then go to the ACP to continue the deletion process. From there, the user is deleted(with all posts still in tact). So, you ask, we see, we delete, you go bye bye.

13. Cam

Cam Owner Administrator Owner

+1,044
    I'm not really sure what the question is here. I've been the owner of FP since July, and I've personally deleted two accounts, after they requested for their accounts to be deleted. It's certainly something we'd like to avoid, but we respect the individuals that request this.

While I can’t speak for previous owners, I’ve shown no hesitation in complying with GDPR since July. That is precisely why @Azareal has seen posts where the account as been deleted and it says “Deleted member ####” or something like that. I am more than familiar with our Privacy Policy. When a user requests for their account to be deleted, we take steps to verify their identity and that kind thing. I assume that’s what @Jerlene meant by reviewing the request.

14. Jordan

Jordan Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+616
    That only applies to people in the EU. And to also, only has to delete "Personal identifiable information". everything else can remain. Even content that you posted and you own the complete rights to as you granted FP " a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with Forum Promotion".

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kino

Kino Captain Awesome. Retired Admin

+82
    How do I delete mine?

LOL JK

16. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+302
    Damn bro, where'd you get your J.D?

17. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+341
    It supposedly counts public posts, according to the wording of the law.
    But, you really need to speak to a lawyer about that.

I'm not really allowed to give you legal advice without practising law.

18. Cam

Cam Owner Administrator Owner

+1,044
    We're not deleting public posts at the moment, but yes, I've heard it both ways. Some say it counts posts, some say it doesn't. XenForo actually had a really in depth discussion about it when they made updates to their software to make compliance easier: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/upcoming-changes-for-gdpr-compliance-in-xf1-and-xf2.146888/