Not open for further replies.

Joshua Farrell

Forum Stock Market General Manager
Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
Like Badge
I'm requesting that there is an option to soft delete posts that we create on Forum Promotion. What does everyone think of this idea?
Specifically why you want the ability to delete posts would help with discussion, as this post lacks reasoning behind it.

B

Bryn

Specifically why you want the ability to delete posts would help with discussion, as this post lacks reasoning behind it.
And taking back an opinion you made is not one of them. With that said, people need to think before they say anything, especially on a public forum.

Ash

Madly Diligent
Package Team
I don't see why we can't have the discussion again. Perhaps someone new to the discussion has something to add and would appreciate not seeing a thread get shut down so quickly. I would opine further but I can't trust this thread being around long enough to make it worth my time so...
Feel free to share your thoughts on the matter. I think it might be wise to have this discussion now to see what everyone thinks before marking it as resolved. We will make sure to keep this open for a while to get a range of views from everyone.

Reactions: ChrisGrigg

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
May 22, 2011
FP$
I don't see why we can't have the discussion again. Perhaps someone new to the discussion has something to add and would appreciate not seeing a thread get shut down so quickly. I would opine further but I can't trust this thread being around long enough to make it worth my time so...
We aren't going back to the days where topics are shutdown just to prevent either further replies or hearing constructive feedback. That doesn't help anyone. This thread is going to stay open.

@xXInfectedXx - As this was your idea, can you further offer input as to why this would be a functional improvement to the overall user experience or features? We can implement something like this, but we would want to limit where it could be used (Marketplace for an example) and who all could use it. I am leaning on the side of allowing sponsors and other groups to use to this function rather than community wide user groups.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Sometimes we post something and then realize that it's silly and want to delete it. For example, one time I was on a forum for princesses and posted that pink wasn't the best color in the world. I certainly meant it because obviously purple is the best color in the world, but I decided that I didn't want to stir the pot and that I should delete the post. However, there was no delete button! As such, I was expelled from the society of pretty princesses forever and was forced to start my own society of cute and pretty princesses instead. It was a lot of work, and I hate work. All that horrible work could have been avoided if there had just been a delete button!! Hopefully this horror story inspires the addition of a soft delete function here on Forum Promotion.

... or let's say I was taking a screenshot of the awesome shot of Elsa and Anna on my desktop and linked it only to see that the image isn't displaying properly because I hosted it on a 200 MHz Pentium server in my basement using a 56k Internet connection. I can't just rage delete it and forget about it. That's a crime against humanity, my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 44219

I agree that we should be able to delete posts without needing a staff member to delete it. A delete button on forums and social media is essential. If you were to stir up some controversy or write something embarassing then we should be able to delete it. A staff member shouldn't be sent a report about a post wanting to be deleted.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
I agree that we should be able to delete posts without needing a staff member to delete it. A delete button on forums and social media is essential. If you were to stir up some controversy or write something embarassing then we should be able to delete it. A staff member shouldn't be sent a report about a post wanting to be deleted.
Yeah. For example, what if there were a Disney Princess Trivia and I accidentally responded to a question on the first page? Then I can't delete my post and I look like an idiot. I make myself look like an idiot enough as it is without this. #BringBackDelete

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 44219

Yeah. For example, what if there were a Disney Princess Trivia and I accidentally responded to a question on the first page? Then I can't delete my post and I look like an idiot. I make myself look like an idiot enough as it is without this. #BringBackDelete
Yes, I agree with what you said. I have said some embarrasing things in the past(I recall all of them being in real life but I'm not sure if any of them were on social media or a forum). Especially controversy, threats, arguments etc. I suggest that this site get's a delete button or the site will be crammed with posts that are old but have embarrasing things, controversy, arguments etc.

D

Deleted member 44219

Yeah. What if I post and say that I've never seen Beauty and the Beast?

Whoops, I guess it's stuck out there now...
Nevermind, I haven't either. I also haven't seen The Lion King as well.

Hmmm.... SEEMS LIKE I MADE AN OOPSIE AND I CAN'T DELETE IT

• Facepalm
Reactions: TechWiz18

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
Sep 5, 2008
SW Florida
FP$
And taking back an opinion you made is not one of them. With that said, people need to think before they say anything, especially on a public forum.
Nobody's perfect or are you trying to say you are the first perfect person out there who is? You can take back a statement you made offline as the term used to describe that event is an apology. In the online world, you have the ability to do something to coincide with your claim that you are sorry for what you said to help demonstrate your apology was genuine so why keep that away from someone?

----

You also have the issue with accidental double posts and letting someone who wants to clean up after themselves the ability to do so rather than have them make a mess and make someone else clean it for them because they who made the mess weren't allowed to do so.

The fact that you still have a record of what was posted even if it was soft deleted means it keeps everyone honest as no one can make a post and than later deny making it such as the marketplace board which I am sure is someone's concern about having said feature in place for anyone.

I also see this as an opportunity for the staff to develop trust for their community which is something that's seriously lacking here and greatly hindering this community's ability to move forward. You can't develop trust between two people or two groups of people unless an opportunity is presented to the other side to demonstrate said trustworthiness.

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
Feb 23, 2011
FP$
The argument that states that people can remove posts is nonexistent, considering staff can still view deleted posts. What if a person posts something when they're angry, and then can't remove the post? Would you want that to happen? I've seen the current administration *hard* delete things to hide them, even when it wasn't necessary.

The argument that states that people can remove posts is nonexistent, considering staff can still view deleted posts. What if a person posts something when they're angry, and then can't remove the post? Would you want that to happen? I've seen the current administration *hard* delete things to hide them, even when it wasn't necessary.
Yes, but I've also seen normal users deleting their posts, profile posts, or other things just because, and on top of that, they do it just because of GDPR. I've also seen people erasing the entire post to make it seem empty. (No-no for SEO.)

In both times, I revoked the option to delete posts, profile posts, and I also revoked the option to edit.

I love my users, but I will not stand for stupidity. People should really take this advice to heart:
With that said, people need to think before they say anything, especially on a public forum.

xXInfectedXx

Former Staff
Jan 30, 2015
Forum Promotion
FP$
why not this thread gets an poll added then let's see what's the results to what members want.
I've added a poll to the topic. Great idea!

We aren't going back to the days where topics are shutdown just to prevent either further replies or hearing constructive feedback. That doesn't help anyone. This thread is going to stay open.

@xXInfectedXx - As this was your idea, can you further offer input as to why this would be a functional improvement to the overall user experience or features? We can implement something like this, but we would want to limit where it could be used (Marketplace for an example) and who all could use it. I am leaning on the side of allowing sponsors and other groups to use to this function rather than community wide user groups.
Possibly allowing the soft delete feature for users with a certain amount of posts? For example, 5,000?

This feature could be easily abused - exchange scams is one example. So, it's best not to allow the deletion button in these areas on Forum Promotion. The relationship between the Employees and Users is essential as most likely, posts being erased in these sections by forum members is essentially being done for the wrong reason.

Perhaps allowing ONLY Forum Sponsors to use this feature as this encourages users to make a contribution to the community on a monthly basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.