Do people like forum ready scripts?

Xyphien

Resident
Jul 25, 2012
www.Xyphien.com
FP$
Most people prefer the first group, phpBB, MyBB, XF, IPB, VB, etc. when it comes to forums. I don't think I've seen a custom made forum site or a site using different script packages outside of WP in ages myself.

Reactions: Smokey

meetdilip

Marketing Team Member
Marketing Team
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
A community needs something important, user management. We can even style WordPress to work like a Forum but once you get spam, internal issues and so on, you will really miss the moderation tools

Xyphien

Resident
Jul 25, 2012
www.Xyphien.com
FP$
A community needs something important, user management. We can even style WordPress to work like a Forum but once you get spam, internal issues and so on, you will really miss the moderation tools
This ^ for example, I used one of the WP forums for a little and it was so clunky and failed to produce any good tools for it. I ended up spending $300 on a fully bridge site between WP and Xenforo to ensure everything works and runs a lot smoother.

• Informative
Reactions: meetdilip

johnthan

Reputable
Apr 18, 2016
Jamshedpur
www.gpway.net
FP$
@meetdilip @Xyphien

Yes, the forum needs moderation tools as we can not run the forum without them.

What do you think about different layouts as I have worked without MyBB and phpBB...and had a lot of issues while running these. Still, I am facing login errors and template responsive with MyBB forum.

Even I had to destroy the current database and get the old one to restore and run the forum again.

So, I just wonder if people like a different script for some reason.

What about laracasts.com and laravel.io based on different platforms...?

meetdilip

Marketing Team Member
Marketing Team
Feb 17, 2019
FP$
People would definitely love an upgraded UX as long as it is not confusing. Look at Discourse. You can always come up with something new and fresh, it will work great with your members.

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$
I haven't used a script made by someone other than myself in years. If your able to, I definitely suggest making your own platform wherever possible.

This approach allows you to custom tailor your features based on the needs of your community, you can move faster and smarter than your competitors that rely on other developers and often slow updates.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I haven't used a script made by someone other than myself in years. If your able to, I definitely suggest making your own platform wherever possible.

This approach allows you to custom tailor your features based on the needs of your community, you can move faster and smarter than your competitors that rely on other developers and often slow updates.
No one person can replace "off the shelves" software even down to the basics in a sane time frame. For instance I don't expect someone to be able to even make a setup similar of that even to SMF/MyBB/etc left alone "big box" ones like WoltLabs, Xenforo, IPS, Discourse, etc.

In many cases I heard from a business/management standpoints your better off getting something that align to your needs as close as possible, that be leveraged and/or etc. Then take it from there. Than doing the works in house.

That doesn't even account for security auditing, hardening, alpha and BETA testings and so forth.

D

Madly Diligent
Oct 29, 2010
FP$
No one person can replace "off the shelves" software even down to the basics in a sane time frame. For instance I don't expect someone to be able to even make a setup similar of that even to SMF/MyBB/etc left alone "big box" ones like WoltLabs, Xenforo, IPS, Discourse, etc.

In many cases I heard from a business/management standpoints your better off getting something that align to your needs as close as possible, that be leveraged and/or etc. Then take it from there. Than doing the works in house.

That doesn't even account for security auditing, hardening, alpha and BETA testings and so forth.

Sure, nobody can beat installing a forum software in 5 minutes. But it's more rewarding and works out better long term to make your own solution if you are able to.

I don't run any forums anymore, but I did for many years. Currently everything I make is created solely by me and once you are proficient at programming it honestly doesn't take that long to make something that works well for your needs. This is without bloat and the countless useless features every pre-made script comes with.

A lot of successful forums (I'm talking real success, not a few thousand members) create their own solutions for a reason.

One example of this is dev.to who made the forum software forem for their community, then later open sourced it

More examples of communities that built their own solutions are Reddit, ProductHunt, IndieHackers, TapaTalk and many more.

Last edited: