Do people live in a bubble?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Jason76, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+416
    Recently, I've been a little mean and sort of bullied someone on Facebook. The reason being all the preachy political memes. So, OK, I responded to them - with a little sarcasm.

But see how this action is really shaking him up! But what does he expect when he posts really controversial political stuff all day?

2. VirusZero

VirusZero Resident

+44
    Some people do live in their own little bubbles, oft called "Echo Chambers" where they only hear things that conform to ideas/thoughts they already have. Especially when it comes to politics. (And before anyone says it... both the right and left do have their own sorts. Though in the last few years typically it has been most visible by those on the far left.) Though it's not limited to them by any means.

The problem becomes when someone only hears a certain view enough that they accept it as the one and only Truth. Furthermore that any possibly different information then becomes a direct attack on them and their ideology. So, for example the idea that someone might think of a reason to allow/deny abortion might be taken as a direct insult to them. They can't stop and go "Well, actually yeah that makes sense and I can see how you might come to that conclusion even if I don't agree." Often then they just go for any -ist/-ic they can throw to try to get that other person to go away/leave them alone/discredit them.
    EX- "Oh, you don't like abortion? You must be a misogynist." Even though the person in question likely loves women a lot but instead just takes issue with certain aspects.

Unfortunately though it's incredibly difficult to crack the shell of the echo chamber and get people to think about things. New or different ideas/concepts that run contrary to their current ones are especially tough to get people to consider. Even moreso when strong emotions come into play. To the person who uses emotion exclusively there is no amount of evidence you could ever present that would get them to rethink or change their mind. They nullify it the very second their emotion changes. All it takes is a "I feel" and your facts are worthless. They don't want to hear truth, they want to hear things that align to what they feel. Which, at times, does not happen. And even if you could play to their feelings, the second something changes or comes up so too will their feelings and everything is forgotten or for naught.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jason76

+416
    Well, I think some of the commentators are mentally ill. Well, for certain, a few smoke pot. But the thing about it is, I've heard preachy memes from people who don't. But I think all of them have mental issues.

4. danthex

danthex GamingBoards.net King Community Team

+148
    There is no body language or tone affiliated with online text communication, two of which are major factors when it comes to how we perceive information. This often causes people to become defensive if they're passionate about the topic as they often interpret the message as a personal attack, even if the writer had intended to be completely innocent. I believe the wording is key to getting your message across as intended.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jason76

+416
    You can use emojis. But it's not about how the message is said often. It's that people simply don't want to hear opposing views.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Newtflame

Newtflame Acquaintance

+4
    Yeah, sometimes people live in their own little bubble but if you harshly attack someone on a subject, they are going to obviously get defensive. It okay to give your views on a subject, but if you're coming at it in an overly negative or bully like way then you should really expect the other party to either ignore you or respond in a offensive manner. I'm okay with people having different views and opinions as long as you don't come off as overly preachy or a know it all.

7. Jason76

+416
    Well, that's the main problem on there. But you can always defriend people who annoy you. However, though, and not to sound whiny, but if you post your opinions (on your timeline) - you might get hassled off-line. That's something you cannot control.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  8. Web2019

Web2019 Reputable

+33
    I think some tech companies live in a bubble.
    Trying not to go extinct.

9. Jason76

+416
    Bubbles burst in economics. If they burst with cause-obsessed maniacs, it's seems similar.

10. Newtflame

Newtflame Acquaintance

+4
    True, things like that can spiral into madness. All I can say is be careful what you say and just caught off negative people.

11. Rick Ace

Rick Ace Administrator Administrator

+288
    Even employers are known to view social media profiles on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. So, that's something else to be concerned about. The things you write online can cost you a job. :eek: