Do you delete banned accounts?

Fait

Seasoned Veteran
That's all well and fine. But why do that when they have disposable & temporary email services they can sign up with?
That’s another issue, there’s also a website called 10MinuteEmail so it can be hard to stop them from signing up.

well technically if you’ve asked them to leave you alone and they don’t that’s considered harassment and against the law.

Carlos X

Addicted
It is better that you keep them. Because bots tend to use the same credentials again and again.
Yup
That’s another issue, there’s also a website called 10MinuteEmail so it can be hard to stop them from signing up.

well technically if you’ve asked them to leave you alone and they don’t that’s considered harassment and against the law.
Wildcard ban. Easy.

If your forum software allows for wildcards to be banned, you ban anything with @10minuteEmail.xxx

xxx detonates the domain extension.

If you have xenForo, you can easily do this: *@10MinuteEmail.xyz and it will ban anythingHERE@10MinuteEmail[.xyz]

Jay

Seasoned Veteran
No point TBH, I would just leave it as is. Even if it doesn't impact your forum stats, good to avoid having banned usernames reclaimed / potentially cause confusion with your mods haha

Terminated

Hasta La Vista, Baby

I don't know how you go about getting a troll investigated on the Internet for harassment. I've heard of people on Facebook getting sued for posting videos about someone that was considered slander. It was also deemed as inciting violence & harassment against them. Because their followers watch those videos, get upset, and go harass that specific person that the video villainizes. Honestly, it should be illegal.

Here's an example.

Moonface

Up-and-Coming Sensation
If the account was recently made and only spammed or broke rules, then I delete it because if I'm already going to delete all the content the account has made, there's no purpose to keeping the account either. If I ban an account that has been around for a while but the member eventually acted in a way that warranted a ban, then I don't delete the account so as to keep it attached to the content it created that is being kept.

James

Community Team Member
Community Team
Typically I don't delete banned accounts because it can mess up threads that they had actual conversations in as people will then be quoting deleted accounts plus if we delete it and someone tries to appeal their ban, we can't get their account back so they just have to start all over.

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Gamma Premium
If the account was recently made and only spammed or broke rules, then I delete it because if I'm already going to delete all the content the account has made, there's no purpose to keeping the account either. If I ban an account that has been around for a while but the member eventually acted in a way that warranted a ban, then I don't delete the account so as to keep it attached to the content it created that is being kept.
Well, you can remove their content without removing the account and keep the account ban :)

Or, have it moved to trash :) then deleting it the content

Moonface

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Well, you can remove their content without removing the account and keep the account ban :)

Or, have it moved to trash :) then deleting it the content
I see no need to keep an account that is purely a spambot. It's just unnecessary and I don't want my stats bloated by such accounts.

Fait

Seasoned Veteran
I don't know how you go about getting a troll investigated on the Internet for harassment. I've heard of people on Facebook getting sued for posting videos about someone that was considered slander. It was also deemed as inciting violence & harassment against them. Because their followers watch those videos, get upset, and go harass that specific person that the video villainizes. Honestly, it should be illegal.

Here's an example.

Here in Australia harassment is Illegal once someone tells you to leave them alone then you have to, if a friend does this I usually say my last words then let them be.

As for accounts that isn’t ran by a real human like spam bots I delete them but human accounts I just ban.

prophpbb

Reputable
FP$
Sorry but why should you delete banned accounts? They are banned for a reason and it’s there to stop them re offending the same offends. obviously you should remove any banned accounts, profiles or customer information when you don’t require it anymore or required to because of GDPR or a court of law.