Do you let members delete or edit their posts?

ZandraJoi

Package Team Member
Package Team
Jun 11, 2020
Michigan
holisticallysecular.proboards.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Going from the other topic of Deleting own accounts. Some don't like to do that as it disrupts the flow, which I can understand. What about the option to at least EDIT? Nothing like being embarrassed hitting POST prematurely & there was a faux pas in there lol
I let members delete or edit posts. Now, maybe if my forum was bigger & was active for several years, I wouldn't allow the deleting. But I would still allow editing, with the hopes that it was a simple typo they were trying to correct.
I'm of the mindset even tho it's MY forum, it's really THEIR posts. Some are their deep thoughts & maybe they decided not to post as much detail & instead of waiting for Staff to come on to edit for them, they can do it right then & there.
No right or wrong answers. Just getting conversations going :)

Empire

President Of Fourm Promotion
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
I say every single website/forum should allow every single member to able to edit their posts. Yes In all, I used to have a delay after posting you have to wait for X amount before you can edit your posts however I removed it since it's just a pain in the butt if you made a mistake in your content and have to wait X amount to fix your posts.

Regards deletion, Nope they can't delete. However for VIP and or paid upgraded accounts then maybe yes they can remove/delete. However, if that person is a VIP and one day he wanted to remove his account, he will delete every 400 posts for example and then BANG. Soooo... Nope, I say do powers to delete other than staff and under request

Matthew

#MasksSaveLives
Jun 28, 2010
FP$
I delete all posts so there’s no reason to enable this for accounts that will surely end up banned. I like having this feature though on communities I visit.

Empire

Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
I delete all posts so there’s no reason to enable this for accounts that will surely end up banned. I like having this feature though on communities I visit.
Then delete all your posts on FP then :)

Teg

Package Team Member
Package Team
Dec 7, 2010
North Pole
ffz.boards.net
FP$
Personally, no. I don't like or "allow" deletion of posts. I'd much rather move them to a trash board out of site if something is to be removed.

Puppuccino

Porum Fromotion
Forum Sponsor
Aug 16, 2009
United Kingdom
FP$
I think you should be able to edit for up to an hour after posting and able to delete up to 5 minutes after posting.

I can’t generally see a good reason to all longer time frames. Once a message has been sent, it tends to remain unchanged for the large majority of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: ZandraJoi

Empire

Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Even VIPs do not have the power to able to remove content unless they own and run their own board/categories, but that's a soft delete :) for that matter.

No one has mention regards soft delete at all here. They think it's removed but it's hidden instant or moved to the trash folder.

• Agree
Reactions: ZandraJoi