• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

Do You Use Linux? If So, What's It Like And What Do You Use It For?

• Thread starter Deleted member 44219
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Deleted member 44219

Just a few months ago, I started to become more interested in Operating-Systems. This led me to be interested in Linux.

From what I've heard, Linux is great for programmers which would be beneficial for me. It's also great for very technical people, which is also me.

If you use Linux, what's it like and what do you primarily use it for.

epochcherry

sudo rm -rf /
Retired Admin
May 22, 2011
FP$
I use Kali Linux and Parrott OS for infosec. I use CentOS at work along with RedHat so it's nice to use Linux and Unix so frequently.

D

Deleted member 32117

I have used Putty and its terrible Lubuntu is Good

epochcherry

sudo rm -rf /
Retired Admin
May 22, 2011
FP$

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Linux is great for programmers which would be beneficial for me.
Some would argue that Linux is better for everyone.

The main thing that stops it entering the mainstream is games and inertia.
If you're a big gamer, then there are a lot of games which simply don't work on Linux.

For a server, Linux is basically a no-brainer with the nonsense costs Microsoft comes up with, the awful stability, the awful support from any open source software, etc.
While it can get by as a "development environment", it's awful for production (who's up for random crashes and inscrutable 10x slowdowns?).

Plenty of programmers do use Windows however. When Go added support for Windows a few years ago, it jumped from relatively low profile to fairly successful with no end to growth in sight.

Also, another thing is that Android uses Linux, so more often than not, people are already using Linux without really realising it. As for iOS, it uses some flavour of BSD. The BSDs are some of Linux's actual rivals.
No, it doesn't. It was originally written for Windows but has since been ported over to OSX and Linux. I use Putty every day at work, it's just a terminal emulator, that's it. It's nothing more, nothing less. It isn't a flavor of Linux.
Maybe, he means that it usually connects to a Linux server? Dunno what to make of it.

Linux distros do have GUIs, it's not all console, but it's a bit inefficient to run a GUI on a server and to remote desktop in every-time you want to get something done. And it'll probably lag badly.

Last edited: