• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

Solved Don't allow Promotion Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

edenwax

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 24, 2011
ed3n.me
FP$
I sort of feel like it should be implemented tbh. I personally don't really like the idea of people promoting their promotion forums on another promotion forum. It just seems pointless to me.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
It just seems pointless to me.
If promotion forums are banned, then they should probably ban other really low quality, low effort submissions too.
I dunno, it's a nice way for people to get a bit of administration experience before shutting down, doesn't really matter either way whether it's done though.

Maybe, add requirements which need to be fulfilled before someone can submit an item like a post requirement? Can't remember if they do this. That should largely filter out part of the noise, but it does raise the bar.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Retired Admin
Jun 4, 2008
meowsepad.org
FP$
This would look very much like a desperation move.

Again your opinion. Not a fact. I don't want to point out it as a logical fallacies for the sake of increasing length of this discussion. Stick to point instead of opinions, show facts.
I think it's pretty clearly established that promotion forums don't tend to last very long. Also, it's pretty clear that people tend to use more than one promotion forum at a time (or at least did when there were viable alternatives to FP) to increase their visibility (allegedly), so I doubt having competitors advertised on FP is causing any real harm.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaynil

overcast

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
FP$
I think it's pretty clearly established that promotion forums don't tend to last very long. Also, it's pretty clear that people tend to use more than one promotion forum at a time (or at least did when there were viable alternatives to FP) to increase their visibility (allegedly), so I doubt having competitors advertised on FP is causing any real harm.
Assumption 1: Promotion sites don't tend to last long.
Assumption 2: Promotion forum which managed to survive, if allow their platform to promote the competitors will not be harmed.

If 2 were to be true. It still takes the platform to assumption 1 even for the platforms that allow the competitors. For simple reason that resources mined by competitors on established platform are being used with nothing left for platforms own survival.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Retired Admin
Jun 4, 2008
meowsepad.org
FP$
Assumption 1: Promotion sites don't tend to last long.
Assumption 2: Promotion forum which managed to survive, if allow their platform to promote the competitors will not be harmed.
I mean, I'm sure I could do some research and calculate the average amount of time the promotion forums have lasted that advertised here and how much overlap there was in userbase over the years using this forum's search feature and archive.org, but I'd kind of rather blow my brains out.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Retired Admin
Jun 4, 2008
meowsepad.org
FP$
You said

I think it's pretty clearly established that promotion forums don't tend to last very long.
Which I find as assumption. So whether it is a fact or assumption, In response I said,

banning them won't do any harm either.
Another arbitrary guideline, especially one that potentially affects a lot of the forums advertised here, probably won't play well with the users. If the community as a whole feels that it's a good idea, though (which doesn't seem to be the case so far), it could be worth a trial. I just don't see it improving FP in any way.

overcast

Reputable
Dec 27, 2018
FP$
Another arbitrary guideline, especially one that potentially affects a lot of the forums advertised here, probably won't play well with the users. If the community as a whole feels that it's a good idea, though (which doesn't seem to be the case so far), it could be worth a trial. I just don't see it improving FP in any way.
I see.

D

Deleted member 44219

I agree that other 'Promotion Forums' shouldn't be allowed on here. Because let's say that this 'Promotion Forum' has more/better features than FP and deals with things a lot better then people would flock to that instead of staying on FP. That would easily kill FP or even leave a dent in it.

Even if this 'Promotion Forum' isn't meant to compete with FP, it still shouldn't be on here. If the 'Promotion Forum' wants to promote themselves then they can do that on Social Media or some other site.

MrDangem

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2017
Phil
animefused.com
FP$
Just an opinion, I think it will not hurt forumpromotion, also some user might thank FP cause they're getting more opportunity to post their links, to get more exposure, backlinks, branding etc.

Anyway, I would still prefer to stay in FP even if I found hundreds of promoting forum sites. We all have choices.
I can see that you're really concerned to FP, I think we all do. Let's just trust the staffs and hope that they can
do something about this.

SWOT analysis is really important now.

epochcherry

sudo rm -rf /
Retired Admin
May 22, 2011
FP$
Just an opinion, I think it will not hurt forumpromotion, also some user might thank FP cause they're getting more opportunity to post their links, to get more exposure, backlinks, branding etc.

Anyway, I would still prefer to stay in FP even if I found hundreds of promoting forum sites. We all have choices.
I can see that you're really concerned to FP, I think we all do. Let's just trust the staffs and hope that they can
do something about this.

I really like that you touched on doing an SWOT analysis. That's something the FP team needs to do and I feel it would really bring out some good responses. However, I don't see them doing that as there are just so many thing going on behind the scenes, which is said with strong sarcasm.

D

Deleted member 44219

do something about this.

I really like that you touched on doing an SWOT analysis. That's something the FP team needs to do and I feel it would really bring out some good responses. However, I don't see them doing that as there are just so many thing going on behind the scenes, which is said with strong sarcasm.
1. What does SWOT mean?

And I do agree that the FP Team is being to sarcastic right now with what they're saying about updates, changes and improvements. FP has a community of developers, webmasters and designers who have an IQ that is able to understand a lot and can tell if somethings being faked, acted out or over-exagerrated. Instead, the staff think that we all don't know any better so they decide to over-exaggerate things and expect us to believe it.

epochcherry

sudo rm -rf /
Retired Admin
May 22, 2011
FP$

do something about this.

1. What does SWOT mean?

And I do agree that the FP Team is being to sarcastic right now with what they're saying about updates, changes and improvements. FP has a community of developers, webmasters and designers who have an IQ that is able to understand a lot and can tell if somethings being faked, acted out or over-exagerrated. Instead, the staff think that we all don't know any better so they decide to over-exaggerate things and expect us to believe it.
A SWOT analysis is where you anazlize your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. It's normally used by businesses and people for projects or competition review.

• Informative
Reactions: Kaynil
D

Deleted member 44219

do something about this.

1. What does SWOT mean?

A SWOT analysis is where you anazlize your Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats. It's normally used by businesses and people for projects or competition review.
Oh okay. Thanks.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Everyone is raising good points, but I don't see how anyone has came to the conclusion that allowing promotion forums on FP is not hurting FP.
Promoting a promotion forum on FP:
- Causes some users on FP to spend time on the other forum
- Gives another site a chance to take the user permanently
- Makes users rely on FP less than they do already

Not allowing promotion forums on FP:
- Makes it harder for FP users to find another promotion forum to spend time visiting
- Makes it harder for users to start a competing forum
- Makes users rely on FP more

I appreciate all of the replies here, but I just cannot for the life of me see how banning promotion forums would harm FP.
The ONLY thing I can see is this:
- if you ban promotion forums, FP may get less posts because promotion forum owners aren't coming here

That's a valid point, but hear me out...
- if a promotion forum owner needs a promotion forum to promote their forum, should they really be running a forum about promoting forums?
- perhaps those users would create a more unique forum instead, and benefit from FP even more than they would with a promotion forum
- There's not that many promotion forums around these days & the amount of posts lost if promotion forum advertising was banned would be absolutely minimal

So, with all of that said I still stand by my original opinions. I think banning promotion forums from FP makes sense & helps this community. Here's one more reason...Most new promotion forums end up being abandoned. If users are checking out other promotion forums and becoming disappointed, they may lose faith in promotion forums as a whole and leave FP. Similarly, if they are advertising on dead promotion forums & less on FP then they may abandon their own projects due to not receiving the amount of traffic they wanted. FP and every single forum owner here has an incentive to only use FP for promotion their projects. There is very little benefit to encouraging FP users to spend time on other promotion forums (exception: the promotion forum is actually active with unique users -most are not active & full of FP members)...

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I agree that other 'Promotion Forums' shouldn't be allowed on here. Because let's say that this 'Promotion Forum' has more/better features than FP and deals with things a lot better then people would flock to that instead of staying on FP. That would easily kill FP or even leave a dent in it.

Even if this 'Promotion Forum' isn't meant to compete with FP, it still shouldn't be on here. If the 'Promotion Forum' wants to promote themselves then they can do that on Social Media or some other site.
The thing with promotion forums is.

There are only really so many ways you can really do a promotion forum (and we have seen many, many of them including ones which were largely custom before they got shut down a couple of weeks or months later). And they're nowhere near as hip as they may have been back in the day.

It would be very unlikely for one to actually do any sort of disruption.

D

Deleted member 44219

Everyone is raising good points, but I don't see how anyone has came to the conclusion that allowing promotion forums on FP is not hurting FP.
Promoting a promotion forum on FP:
- Causes some users on FP to spend time on the other forum
- Gives another site a chance to take the user permanently
- Makes users rely on FP less than they do already

Not allowing promotion forums on FP:
- Makes it harder for FP users to find another promotion forum to spend time visiting
- Makes it harder for users to start a competing forum
- Makes users rely on FP more

I appreciate all of the replies here, but I just cannot for the life of me see how banning promotion forums would harm FP.
The ONLY thing I can see is this:
- if you ban promotion forums, FP may get less posts because promotion forum owners aren't coming here

That's a valid point, but hear me out...
- if a promotion forum owner needs a promotion forum to promote their forum, should they really be running a forum about promoting forums?
- perhaps those users would create a more unique forum instead, and benefit from FP even more than they would with a promotion forum
- There's not that many promotion forums around these days & the amount of posts lost if promotion forum advertising was banned would be absolutely minimal

So, with all of that said I still stand by my original opinions. I think banning promotion forums from FP makes sense & helps this community. Here's one more reason...Most new promotion forums end up being abandoned. If users are checking out other promotion forums and becoming disappointed, they may lose faith in promotion forums as a whole and leave FP. Similarly, if they are advertising on dead promotion forums & less on FP then they may abandon their own projects due to not receiving the amount of traffic they wanted. FP and every single forum owner here has an incentive to only use FP for promotion their projects. There is very little benefit to encouraging FP users to spend time on other promotion forums (exception: the promotion forum is actually active with unique users -most are not active & full of FP members)...
You do bring up some valid points here.

FP Would get less posts as these new 'Promotion Forums' cannot get promoted. People would rely on FP more as it would technically be the best 'Promotion Forum' to go to alongside it's competitor, WebMasterSun. And besides, why would someone want to make a competing forum if FP and WebMasterSun already take up a big marketshare of these 'Promotion Forums'.

And it's true. A lot of new 'Promotion Forums' end up getting abandoned by their owner. The same pretty much goes for any other forum. They end up getting abandoned.

Forums don't live forever. And neither will FP. FP, WebMasterSun and many other Forums will run their course and then be taken over by a newer Forum that might have better things or do something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.