Administrator
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Cookie Badge
Hey guys,

I’m currently at work and posting from our mobile app, so this is a very basic explanation of what’s currently going on. Last night, we experienced a database failure. This is the same issue that occurred like a week ago, that was believed to be resolved.

Unfortunately this time, USHost247 was forced to revert us to a backup, which was from approximately 40 hours ago. This means that the posts, reactions, PMs, etc. from nearly two days were lost due to this. This is awful and unacceptable on many levels. Data loss is something that should always be avoided.

Clearly it has turned out to be a mistake to have returned to shared hosting. At the same time, USHost247 has bent over backwards to do what they can to make this right, as Chris is working on setting us up on a VPS. We’re still currently on shared hosting at this moment, but we plan to be on our VPS at the end of today.

As other users have pointed out, this also leaves our Site Battle Madness in a pickle. There were a number of votes that occurred in that time span of 40ish hours, so if you are a participant in this battle, please make sure that all of your votes are there. I also think it’s only fair to go ahead and extend these current Site Battle Madness polls for another two days, to make up for the time that was clearly lost. I am very sorry that we reached this point of losing data.

I know this is an awful inconvenience to every individual of this community, and we will be going to great lengths to make this right. I had an extensive conversation with a number of staff members last night, and I will be posting a very detailed topic in the Community Matters forum in the next couple days to see how you guys feel about the vision that we currently have for FP.

Also, if you’re someone that has lost FP$ or a post count or something like that, we’ll do whatever we can to take care of that for you. Again, I am deeply sorry that we have made this mistake. Moving forward, all I can do is make things right from here on out. Thanks for your continued support of this wonderful community.

Regards,
Cameron

Aaron

Legendary Typer
Jun 4, 2013
FP$
Understood. Mistakes happen. :/

ChrisGrigg

Community Team Member
Community Team
Forum Sponsor
I understand your frustration in this matter. We have experienced a bug in MariaDB which caused catastrophic damage to our systems. We are doing everything in our power to restore service as timely as possible. I will have a full disclosure soon as we get back to operating status. Users will be compensated free hosting time if they wish to continue with us in the future.

We are going to be moving to a different infrastructure soon as possible.

• Informative
Reactions: Kaynil and Ash

Ash

Seasoned Veteran
I hope there is a way you guys can check these people really had the FP they are claiming they had because everyone will just ask for FP left right and centre.
Chances are that many wouldn't have earned a large amount. The majority of users here I would presume do not mind losing a few FP$ so won't even bother asking. And those that do make a request, will only be getting a small amount so it won't really be an issue.

Reactions: JoyFreak
D

Deleted member 44219

I hope there is a way you guys can check these people really had the FP they are claiming they had because everyone will just ask for FP left right and centre.
That is true. But as @Ash just said, many wouldn't have earned that much as to my knowledge, you only earn about FP$2.00/post. But I also find it unlikely that anything like that would happen.

Reactions: JoyFreak

bill16652

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
FP$
Here is the thing, I did two tasks at 100fp each and I also lost a bunch of post so end result is that I had 385FP and being new I lost almost all of that, so dont presume that there are not those of us that lost a little more than a little. I know that isnt much to some of you but for me that was work to get and it isnt easy accumulating FP cash if you are not computer savvy and such.

Reactions: Cammeh

Ash

Seasoned Veteran
Here is the thing, I did two tasks at 100fp each and I also lost a bunch of post so end result is that I had 385FP and being new I lost almost all of that, so dont presume that there are not those of us that lost a little more than a little. I know that isnt much to some of you but for me that was work to get and it isnt easy accumulating FP cash if you are not computer savvy and such.
What offer did you complete? If it can be verified with the person that sent you the FP$, we can sort that out

Cammeh

Administrator
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Cookie Badge
I've responded to your PM. I hope this has been taken care of. Please let me know if there is anything else missing. :)

D

Deleted member 44219

I hope the Upgrades will be worth it and these Failures will be very rare to happen. I don’t want to have to express how disappointed I am when FP is offline just because of Server Issues.

bill16652

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
FP$
I am so grateful to this site and the people on it that my issues were made right. I hope to have a long and last relationship with this site and I hope that it grows as it deserves to.

Reactions: Jazzy

Azareal

Paragon
#1 - Setup daily or even hourly backups. While USHost247 have shown themselves to be completely incompetent in this matter, hopefully you will not be. Also, make sure you have off-site backups in addition, perhaps to Amazon S3 or whatever is reliable.

#2 - Keep things up to date and make sure the VPS is setup properly. Make sure the database isn't exposed to the internet, make sure database permissions are locked down, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Jazzy and cryptik

cryptik

i exploit & break into things
May 22, 2011
FP$
#1 - Setup daily or even hourly backups. While USHost247 have shown themselves to be completely incompetent in this matter, hopefully you will not be. Also, make sure you have off-site backups in addition, perhaps to Amazon S3 or whatever is reliable.

#2 - Keep things up to date and make sure the VPS is setup properly. Make sure the database isn't exposed to the internet, make sure database permissions are locked down, etc.
It's always nice to see someone that actually knows what the hell they're talking about. Seriously though Cam, backups are imparitive. Is this managed or unmanaged VPS? If it's unmanaged, please make sure you know someone that can help you manage it if you're not comfortable doing so.

Yeah! You can setup an 24 hours backup using the cron job, easy to setup as the as the code is correct. So it backups on the server automatic. Then you can get third party software like amazon. or other backup clouds. OMG IT'S SIMPLE AND SO DO IT! Every 24 hours not 40 hours