Effective use of Google Ads

Discussion in 'Promotion Tricks & Help' started by Jordan, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Jordan

Jordan Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+616
    I've been using Google Ads for some time for a lot of my websites with some sites showing positive reception, well others not so much.

I decided to set up a couple campaigns for my Hive Gamurs website and pretty sure I f*cked up somewhere :rolleyes:

With these campaigns, I am targeting certain keywords for the site in general, as well as certain campaigns targeting certain features of our site. All campaigns in total have a shared budget.

however, I log in today to see that my average cpc is $5.10! Which is insane. (I try to put it to about $1) so I'm currently paying 5x my budget for cpc.

Also, I've spent $600 for a useless 58k impressions and only 116 clicks. Some cpc reaching $24 per click!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearly this campaign went wrong somewhere.

Anyone else have experience with Google Ads (Formally AdWords), and have any tips with getting some great results and the best bang for your buck?

My past experience has been pretty much luck, mostly targeting my competitors websites. With Hive Gamurs, I decided to go a different route. As I don't really see it having any competitors at the moment besides the big boys such as IGN which, well you can't compete with unless you have a massive amount of funds to over take their search results.

I may need a new approach.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. Sam

Sam Seasoned Veteran

+20
    I've tried Google Ads briefly but never had much success.

Have you tried Facebook ads? That might be a little more suited to your website. I've got a decent number of sales through FB before.

Create a few different ad copies (or different pictures/videos) and start with a small budget for each. See what's working and go from there.

3. Jordan

Jordan Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+616
    Well, for me I never use their publishing network. (Ads on other people's sites) I only buy advertising for google searches.
    So if someone searches for lets say "2019 game reviews" we might show up at the top of the page etc

I have tried facebook, and have fund a bit more success with them. Only thing is, I find it harder to get people to go to the site through facebook.

4. Sam

Sam Seasoned Veteran

+20
    Are you using Sponsored Posts or Facebook Ad Manager?

You probably would want to target a particular event on your site.. e.g. a super cool live stream/ contest which gets people to sign-up. Then you can use their email address and attempt to get them to post or interact. Ad Manager allows optimisation for website visits.

5. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+468
    Be sure to put whoever you get into an email list. Why risk getting "one time" traffic? Also, if you're trying to "sell", then it's a must!

6. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,298
    Spending allot of your own money for nothing is pointless to me. Why bother>> not going to get the best results in the long term

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Jason76

Jason76 Package Team Member Package Team

+468
    It depends on whether or not visitors become leads (put into a list (FB group/page, email list)).