• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

End of the world tomorrow? (10th Sept)

Cloverfield

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Dec 18, 2007
UK, Kent
www.FuturamaFF.com
FP$
Just watched a scientist on a morning TV show this morning talking about this 'big bang machine' which is being switched on tomorrow. Please read here!!

http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... wS1rM-ntTw

Here is a scary quote from the article

Prof Rossler believes it is quite possible that the black holes made in the LHC will grow uncontrollably and "eat the planet from the inside".
-~-

spyka

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sep 3, 2007
www.awesomestyles.com
FP$
From my undertsanding they are smashing two protons together and will take a picture of the resulting explosion. They are looking for a new particle called the higgs boison(?sp)

of course no one knows for certain what will happen but there have been lots of studies and lots of research into it and most are pretty sure it's safe

A quote from another scientist from the thread on my forum:

Prof Brian Cox of Manchester University, adding: "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a twat."

CyberFreak

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Apr 7, 2007
UK
FP$
It would be too late to worry about it... If it happens it will happen before we would notice it and we would be dead before we knew what happened but there is no point worrying about it as they wouldn't do it unless they are very very sure that nothing will go wrong.

Van1lla ™

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Oct 9, 2007
UK
www.google.co.uk
FP$
Its all bullsh!t.

The world won't die, they did say they would be making microscopic black holes but they wont do anything.

Scientists thought the world would end with the Manhattan Project...well it didn't.

Also i don't think the scientists would do this if they thought the world would die.

poglii

Reputable
Jul 29, 2008
newbatman.forumotions.com
FP$
Well i've been going on about this to friends for months and done much research, every argument against it has been rejected and scientists say that this process occurs naturally on earth each day and they will use less energy and radiation than we get from the sun.

The many people worried are just doomsayers who are letting their fears dominate them.

The chances of a micro black hole being created is 1 in 50 million

Mike

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Jan 26, 2008
FP$
Hmmm, Im not worried about the black wholes, im more worried about if that thing Blows!, I mean, Its on the french/swiss border, this is the first time im worrying about living in france :p

Damien

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Apr 29, 2007
FP$
The chance of this blowing anything up are very, very, very very low ;-)

You will see soon enough :)

Thanks
Damien

Van1lla ™

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Oct 9, 2007
UK
www.google.co.uk
FP$
poglii said:
The chances of a micro black hole being created is 1 in 50 million
Today's report provides the most comprehensive assessment on the safety of the project to date. It shows that the LHC almost certainly will produce microscopic black holes (perhaps at a rate as high as one every second) but that these will be so small and unstable that they vanish as quickly as they form.

The scientists point to the evidence from cosmic rays, which regularly produce much more powerful particle collisions than the LHC as they bombard the earth....and we haven't been swallowed by a black hole yet.

GreyStreet34

Acquaintance
Sep 6, 2008
USA
z10.invisionfree.com
FP$
Fowler said:
It would be too late to worry about it... If it happens it will happen before we would notice it and we would be dead before we knew what happened but there is no point worrying about it as they wouldn't do it unless they are very very sure that nothing will go wrong.
no one thought the Titanic was going to sink...ahhhh...I rest my case lol

I wouldn't worry about it, if we go, we go. At least I don't have to go back to work -lol-