Solved Extreme Downtime/Connectivity Issue?

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I am also very surprised there were no Reason of Cause posted either (RoC), what's in army green's underwear caused this forum to offline/not be connect able for days?

At the cost of PPC ads here and membership, stickies, etc I would expect this place to be fully hosted and staffed with sysadmins and/or techs to make sure this forum doesn't offline at least for long that is.

Thanks in advance for filling me on this.

Reactions: Cumulus

Cumulus

Marketing Team Leader 📊
Marketing Team
Oct 8, 2020
UK
FP$
Thank You Badge
I am also very surprised there were no Reason of Cause posted either (RoC), what's in army green's underwear caused this forum to offline/not be connect able for days?

At the cost of PPC ads here and membership, stickies, etc I would expect this place to be fully hosted and staffed with sysadmins and/or techs to make sure this forum doesn't offline at least for long that is.

Thanks in advance for filling me on this.
I didn't notice/experience downtime for days, but it was down briefly for me a few times over the past few days.

The Reason of Cause (RoC) is something I can produce and publish in my remit with Marketing. We will post any downtime and a RoC via Twitter in future, to alert users of any downtime and tweet once back up: Good suggestion on that front!

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I didn't notice/experience downtime for days, but it was down briefly for me a few times over the past few days.
You probably didn't visited it enough to witness it, it started like two days ago in the evening and persisted until soon before I posted this thread.

The Reason of Cause (RoC) is something I can produce and publish in my remit with Marketing. We will post any downtime and a RoC via Twitter in future, to alert users of any downtime and tweet once back up: Good suggestion on that front!
Thank you very much! Something like that or a mass email for any significant downtime (say more than 15 minutes for instance) would be neat.

I fire up my mass mailer when ever I make significant changes myself or if there emergencies and such.

Failing that (like if the whole thing bricks) I would at least notifies after the event (thankfully haven't happen yet).

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Hi there,

I understand you were not able to access Forum Promotion for a few days. I can confirm that there has been no downtime, we have monitoring tools which alerts us within 5 minutes of any downtime.

However when you were experiencing this downtime did you notice any errors?

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
However when you were experiencing this downtime did you notice any errors?
Just generic browser ones such as DNS related error and being unable to access the domain at all. So the site remained inaccessible to me at all for the last two days as I said. Even if the server itself didn't dips.

ChrisGrigg

Administrator
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009
South Carolina
www.ushost247.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Like Badge
I also can confirm that there hasn't been any downtime. I have accessed the forum each day and I've yet to notice any downtime. The forum is hosted on a droplet provided by DigitalOcean, and if any downtime occurs on their network, all of the admin team is notified. Also as @Malcolm has stated, there are alerts set up to alert us if the forum goes down within a 5-minute window.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I also can confirm that there hasn't been any downtime. I have accessed the forum each day and I've yet to notice any downtime. The forum is hosted on a droplet provided by DigitalOcean, and if any downtime occurs on their network, all of the admin team is notified. Also as @Malcolm has stated, there are alerts set up to alert us if the forum goes down within a 5-minute window.
I am at this time aware that the physical hypervisor as well as the "instance" it's in might not suffered anything. But it's still stands that I was not able to access the forums itself at least.

I regularly visited a small army of other forums and communities with no damages so clearly something is still up even if it somewhat isolated.

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
At the time, did you try accessing the forum with a different IP address? Whether that means using a VPN or using your cellular data on your cell phone, that is useful information in identifying why you were having issues. It is possible that the server could have randomly blocked your IP address for a couple days.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
At the time, did you try accessing the forum with a different IP address?
Not by any intentional means though IPv6 is provided by the ISP though. But that was on from day one of being here.

It is possible that the server could have randomly blocked your IP address for a couple days.
It is indeed, a client was having issues with CSF and the bottom line was that I had to move my own business to a more competent provider on this front (CSF was dying and acting up even though we were with a MSP at the time so I knew a move was an order).

If you are needing either/both of the IPs let me know and how I should inform them so logs may be checked if/as needed.

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Hi @FriendlyPerson,

If this happens to occur again, can you please take note of the error. Knowing the error would help us better understand what's going on and determine if it's a server or local issue.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Hi @FriendlyPerson,

If this happens to occur again, can you please take note of the error. Knowing the error would help us better understand what's going on and determine if it's a server or local issue.
Firstly how I am supposed to be contacting to relay this information and how can we even says this is a localized issue if I already communicated that I been on more than a few forums and communities during that time?

Isn't it vividly clear that is nothing going on with my PC and ISP at this point?

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Firstly how I am supposed to be contacting to relay this information and how can we even says this is a localized issue if I already communicated that I been on more than a few forums and communities during that time?

Isn't it vividly clear that is nothing going on with my PC and ISP at this point?
There are multiple ways you can reach out to us such as Discord, [email protected], Facebook, Twitter. You can also screenshot the error and the next time you are active or able to sign in provide us with the error. The error would be able to tell us exactly what's going on, it can also tell us if it is local or not. The issue could have been caused by your browser cache or due to a certain setting on our server. If there's a cache issue it doesn't mean it will reflect on every website you visit. With that said, without an error, there's nothing we can do without more information.

• Useful
Reactions: FriendlyPerson

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
There are multiple ways you can reach out to us such as Discord, [email protected], Facebook, Twitter. You can also screenshot the error and the next time you are active or able to sign in provide us with the error. The error would be able to tell us exactly what's going on, it can also tell us if it is local or not. The issue could have been caused by your browser cache or due to a certain setting on our server. If there's a cache issue it doesn't mean it will reflect on every website you visit. With that said, without an error, there's nothing we can do without more information.
Understood thank you very much for reassuring me on how to reach out even in the event I can't access the forum directly as well as expressing to me about how it could be localized even if I am able to visit similar sites and others. :)

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
Understood thank you very much for reassuring me on how to reach out even in the event I can't access the forum directly as well as expressing to me about how it could be localized even if I am able to visit similar sites and others. :)
You're welcome! Let us know if you experience any more issues! :)

• Love

Malcolm

Technical Administrator
Administrator
Community Team
Package Team
Apr 17, 2016
Canada
FP$
Thank You Badge
I did and I sent an email hours ago to that support addressing. I hope we can drill on so I can get uninterrupted run here. :)
Wonderful thank you! You probably weren't able to access Forum Promotion for several long hours, I can confirm we had downtime.