• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

Facebook reportedly under criminal investigation

Joshua Farrell

Prince Vegeta!
Administrator
Nov 9, 2009
offtopichub.com
FP$
Federal prosecutors are probing Facebook's illicit data-sharing partnerships, reportedly subpoenaing data from smartphone manufacturers as the regulatory walls appear to close in on the beleaguered social media firm.
A New York grand jury has subpoenaed two device-makers' records as part of a criminal investigation into some of the 150+ dubiously legal data partnerships Facebook forged with technology companies and other large corporations, according to sources familiar with the requests who spoke to the New York Times.

"We are cooperating with investigators and take those probes seriously," a Facebook spokesman said in a statement, adding, "We've provided public testimony, answered questions and pledged that we will continue to do so."
https://www.rt.com/usa/453773-facebook-grand-jury-data-sharing/

I wonder. Not the first investigation that was brought against them on a federal level.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$

Facebook's developers use laptops by holding them up with a single hand like a waiter? I can't imagine that being comfortable lol

Sadly, I don't think this will be enough to sink Facebook either, that thing has rapidly become the den of all corporate evil, doing everything that they think they can get away with, but people just keep on using it.

I personally don't use it for a number of reasons and this just gives me a 1000th reason not to.

D

Deleted member 44219

Facebook...Good ol’ Facebook. Always under blames, claims, conspiracies and corporate evils(Including Microsoft).

It’s only now that I’m trying to do as much as I can to stay anonymous and not have companies steal so much info about me. And Facebook is one I’m staying away from.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I'm doing well with their ads - so I don't want them to go down. Nonetheless, they have to face crimes - but I don't think an investigation will destroy them - only damage.
Can Facebook's reputation really get any worse than it is already? They make the other tech giants look like saints.

Jason76

Package Team Member
Package Team
Nov 27, 2016
USA
jasonyankee.info
FP$
I'm doing well with their ads - so I don't want them to go down. Nonetheless, they have to face crimes - but I don't think an investigation will destroy them - only damage.
Can Facebook's reputation really get any worse than it is already? They make the other tech giants look like saints.
Nobody likes who are on top - whether it's Rome or the USA.

D

Deleted member 44219

I think we need to look back in time and look at Facebook back when it launched in 2004. It was a place for College and University Students. Just think about that for a moment. These Students wouldn't have known about Facebook taking hold of their Data and Personal Info.

And it's no suprise that Facebook and other big Companies like Microsoft and Twitter are also taking hold of everyone's Data. I'd say that some deep investigating goes into what Facebook does. The amount of Controversies that surrounds them is unbelievable and something needs to be done about it. If Facebook does improve in a few Years then I might use it. But for now, I'm staying away from Facebook and keeping my focus on looking at joining Twitter or Tumblr. I do have an Instagram(Which sadly, is owned by Facebook).

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
If Facebook does improve in a few Years then I might use it.
Facebook's entire business model is built on harvesting data, selling it, targeting ads, etc.
That is the reason they worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Not because of their user count.

From the very beginning, Facebook has been encouraging people to share more and more data and I don't think I would ever trust a social network without some level of privacy. Not that I would trust any, but some level of privacy is a fundamental requirement right off the bat.

No "interests". No "occupation". No "phone number". No "location".

Let's not beat around the bush. These are instant signs that something isn't quite right.

In the immortal words of Mark Zuckerberg himself:
Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks
That is what he thinks of people on Facebook.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 44219

If Facebook does improve in a few Years then I might use it.
Facebook's entire business model is built on harvesting data, selling it, targeting ads, etc.
That is the reason they worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Not because of their user count.

From the very beginning, Facebook has been encouraging people to share more and more data and I don't think I would ever trust a social network without some level of privacy. Not that I would trust any, but some level of privacy is a fundamental requirement right off the bat.

No "interests". No "occupation". No "phone number". No "location".

Let's not beat around the bush. These are instant signs that something isn't quite right.

In the immortal words of Mark Zuckerberg himself:
Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don't know why.

Zuck: They "trust me"

Zuck: Dumb fucks
That is what he thinks of people on Facebook.
And to be honest, that's how bad both Facebook and it's CEO is. Heck, once I told my Mum about how Facebook steals your Data(Fact: My Sister set-up a Facebook Account for my Mum back in 2011 and it just sat there and gathered dust) and once I told her that, I had to delete it for her.

It's absolutely horrifying that People just dive head-first and don't even know what they're doing or what's going on. That's the problem with Facebook. People just think it's another place to Chat and make Friends but in reality, there is so much more behind it.

And those Quotes from Mark Zuckerberg just show how bad of a Man he really is. At first, he seems like a Friendly Guy but in reality, he's just this Man that runs the World's #1 and the Biggest Social Media Site that's a Data-Mining Cave.

Now unlike before, I was like everyone else. I never knew much about Data, Online-Privacy or Technology in general. A year later and I know a lot about this stuff now. It's why I switched my Search-Engine from Google to DuckDuckGo and Chrome to Firefox(I still use some Google Products like Youtube, Drive, GMail). It's why I don't reveal too much about myself on Sites like Instagram. I like to keep as much as I can about myself hidden online.

The Web is meant to be Free and Open. Not a place for Greedy Corporations to steal Data about everyone. Not a single one of us can even have a little bit of Privacy to ourselves. That's like having the FBI Monitor you 24/7. Even the Creator of the WorldWideWeb himself, (Sir)Tim-Berners-Lee, said that the Web should be Open and Free and not have Companies stealing Information about us.

Another thing about Facebook(And pretty much every other Social Media) is that People are addicted to them. I only spend like 1 Minute on Instagram. The thing is(I'm not sure about this though), if People spend more time on Social Media then I'm pretty sure that the Company would be able to get more Data on the User, the longer they spend time on it.

The Web is corrupt. We need to go back and rebuild the Web that was Free and didn't involve Data-Mining.