Forum/Blog Spotlight - Bayside Gamers

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
Forum/Blog Spotlight

From time to time we will be spotlighting a forum or blog in order to allow the FP community to be introduced to new sites or get reacquainted with existing sites.
Our Current Spotlight is a forum owned by a guy you might see posting around here (like a lot) @Empire.

Bayside Gamers
baysidegamers.gif

1st Question(s)!
@Empire, what made you want to start a gaming community?

Thanks for being a part of Forum Promotion! :heart:

Reactions: Empire and Cumulus
Talk Mental Health

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
@Empire, what made you want to start a gaming community?

It's a long story and has a good background on how it became as it is now, so seatback with your tea and biscuit and keep on reading. The name of BaysideGamers was initially been started back in November 2014, the month when the name was created and the hosting server was alive. Throughout November and December, the site was being made and run on SMF (simple machines forum) since at the time wanted a free forum software, and it was a learning curve for me since it was my first significant site to be running. It goes far deeper than that though, in fact, let's go back to the year 2010 when I got into the world of GTA4. Yes, when I first got into the world of GTA modifications where you were able to run scripts and plugins in the game of GTA (Grand Theft Auto) and become anything that you want, even change the game style. I so focused back then that I would spend hours doing it as well as busy in college, watching videos at collage on GTA roleplaying. With that, I joined many sites based on the subject and the ideas that I was leaning to is what and how BaysideGamers became, in late 2011 and into the new year of 2012 I joined a site named MajorGaming (running on invasion power forums) as I was interested in a mod that I wanted and since that, I joined it has changed me. At the time I was at college doing my I.C.T certificates and my courses were web designing and programming that I really enjoyed. Soon after in early 2012, I was so active on MajorGaming that the owner decided to make me a moderator, for me, it would be my first time being a community staff member. First time first for everything right. Spent just over three years on major gaming as a moderator who I became most active than other the owner who I did not like, truth to be told that the owner was very aggressive and doesn't like anyone telling him things to the point that I have no idea how I was able to survive. Many staff and members been and gone over the three years. I can go on with what I had to deal with but then this will be a 50 pages book, but it gave me so much experience.

My time with Major gaming (running on invasion power forums) and part of the GTA community one day in 2012 part of the forums were open and it was a GTA roleplaying community was being opened and made public and right away I joined, the name was "Bayside Virtual Emergency Services" (domain I still got till today, baysideves.com) Hance of how the BaysideGamers. Long story short I Was the first member to join and who I became active and also how I mate my mate who I'm still talking and gaming with right now since 2012, Long friendship, got into so deeply that I became part of the staff team and I was running the website for the community. Yes, I decided to run the site and the deal with the applications. Started off with Enjin free account for just over a year with own domain before moving away from Enjin to WordPress in late 2014. At the time it was my first website on a free low-cost end. I was running the front end mostly and my other mates were dealing with Teamspeak and other things when members join to move to the next step.

So the name of BaysideGamers was based on the name "Bayside Virtual Emergency Services" where I wanted to the Roleplay community linked as one company that never happen. Since most of 2013 and 2014, I always wanted to become my own boss of my own website, was sick of being members on different sites and moderator. So one day I decided to let my dreams became real and thought to myself that it's time to make my own site up for GTA modifications. November 2014 the name was created and also got the hosting server that was paid and order, started with SMF and after six months I moved away from SMF and did a full clean install of invasion power forums since SMF was good however it was just bugged and didn't like how they were dealing with things, shame that SMF databases couldn't be saved. BaysideGAmers had so many histories in its six years running and over time it had changed from GTA5 coming out to the point that how modifications became dead that the site had a full revamp and went away into me of a gaming site. When I first started it had so many categories that anyone got lost. Roleplaying community didn't last that long afterwards, in 2015 I decided to close it fully since TeamSpeak that I didn't own expires and most members left and other staff members had a busy life, my mate, in fact, he was a real police officer.

So there is my story, well some of it anyway about how it became as Bayside, end of the day I always wanted to manage my own site and able to do things that other sites do not have. For six years it's still running even that it's dead as flip and that being said that I'm looking to hire for a manager, a person who will take full control of the site and work with me. It's still ongoing on how and when I am opening the position but I will say this that I will be looking for a person who as knowledge to work with me and think that you own the site also, you have control to do what I have. I mean the single guy is hard to keep it active.

@Empire - what's been your favourite moment so far running Bayside?
Ohh so much I can say, but maybe I might not type a 700-word book right now :p

Lämmchen

The Lämminator
Administrator
Feb 10, 2019
www.christianityhaven.com
FP$
Wow! Prize goes to longest answer :jawdrop: It's a great one though and I appreciate you taking the time to give us a glimpse of your past.

Your banner in your signature is really eye catching. Did you create it yourself?

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Very intersting. I'm guessing you learned from that admin in what not to do, thus making you a better community leader in the process?!
He was the worse that you ever can be under, then again since I left I haven't talked to him. The site is not even around anymore. One day he moved away from IPB to free forum of MyBB and he gave me just about power over everything since at the time I was the only staff he had. two weeks later I left him LOL

Your banner in your signature is really eye catching. Did you create it yourself?
Was originally based on the old-style banner, we keep the idea and style. But had someone made the banner for me :) A good member from FP :)

Before that was this
fiL7G8Z.gif

Reactions: Lämmchen

Cam!

This is Water
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
You said you moved from SMF to IPB in 2015, then. I guess that would be almost six years ago. What prompted you to go with IPB? Did you purchase your own copy of an IPB license or did you go with the subscription model that they host for you?

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
You said you moved from SMF to IPB in 2015, then. I guess that would be almost six years ago. What prompted you to go with IPB? Did you purchase your own copy of an IPB license or did you go with the subscription model that they host for you?
Back in 2014 and 2015, one of the communities I was on, was running SMF, I like what I see. When it came to my end, wanted free forum software and a good starting point, I mean no idea how well it will become. Six months of using SMF, it became to me how pathetic it was and the support was just terrible, Support was from other members and not the devs and to install plugins to updating the software you had to log into your server files and upload it manually and even at times it can break if the plugin is not made right. Also, the themes that I use are so severely coded LOL.

I left and decided to go for big, go to what I love using, IPB :) and never left them since. even it cost a bang. Purchase the package and license and uploaded it to my server :) For a subscription that can cost a lot of money over time.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
What is your favorite add on that you've added to the forum?
So many in fact that I do not know what's my favourite. There are add-ons that I do like to add to the site but aren't cheap and the funds are bot there. Discord integrations, Livestream addon that if you twitch gamer streamer you can be added, that's cool to add if it wasn't $75. Then there is a theme, So what I have no is what I have to keep and deal with lol.

Addons can go on, but the end of the day what's really needed and what do members as a community want to see and do and feel. The last addon that I added that I like is ThreadStarter: Games makes threads more interesting.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
Never had any bad complaints, so that's good. Wasn't much of a complaint but it was a pain in the butt, putting some people off, In fact, it was the welcoming bot that sends mass emails, PMS and welcoming threads when new members join. It was disabled when the forum index was fully been revamped. Other times if an addon wasn't working right after an IPB update it gets disable to it's fixed then back enable. That's if the addon still being supported by the devs.

TopSilver

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2019
www.mindpiff.com
FP$
I just want to say good luck with your site @Empire - I did sign up on it just yesterday and love the way it looks. Will make posts every so often. The design is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Congrats on getting this months spotlight as well. The only question I was going to ask is what platform it's on but @Cam! answered that question above. I've never used IPB but I hear that it's just as good as Xenforo.

Reactions: Empire

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
My post above answered on how I got started and why bayside is using IPB :) @TopSilver End of the day like any other forum software people will dislike it and others like it. I just used to use it, even that they are always added and removing futures. Like any forums it's had ups and downs on activity, Yet doesn't fuss me as the end of the day it doesn't please everyone.

Wounder if there is going to be any other new forum software going to be released or thought about in the future, Aren't many as there used to be and many have closed it's doors.

Reactions: TopSilver