• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

FP inactive

• Thread starter Deleted member 32117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 32117

I have just noticed that FP since like this year has become inactive I mean mostly on here but also on their Discord are there any plans for FP to grow Staff wise or a new theme?

Last edited by a moderator:

epochcherry

sudo rm -rf /
Retired Admin
May 22, 2011
FP$
You JUST noticed? FP has had activity issues for well over 3 years. The last thing FP needs is MORE staff, as it is, most are inactive anyways. What FP needs is a solid plan of action that gets FP in front of a wider audience. A new theme is also a waste since it's just cosmetics, something the current theme is handling well.

However, things aren't aligned at the top and it's showing.

D

Deleted member 32117

You JUST noticed? FP has had activity issues for well over 3 years. The last thing FP needs is MORE staff, as it is, most are inactive anyways. What FP needs is a solid plan of action that gets FP in front of a wider audience. A new theme is also a waste since it's just cosmetics, something the current theme is handling well.

However, things aren't aligned at the top and it's showing.
I noticed for a while I just forgotten to post a it as a feedback
This year has been even more dead
And Social Media This year in general as well lol Facebook, Twitter, IG

Lämmchen

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Feb 10, 2019
FP$
This is all the more reason that we need to support each other and our sites. If you help FP by keeping it active you'll end up helping your own sites in the long run. Everyone wants to join in an active community and log on and see new posts every time that interest them. It keeps people returning. The more people that return means the more sites we can do affiliate postings with and that will help us all out. Survival means sticking together :)

bullish

Acquaintance
Oct 29, 2018
FP$
If you're gonna run a webmaster forum at least put some time and effort on SEO so it looks like you're running something that can set an example for all the members and new webmasters that register. I wish more was done to boost activity

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
It's been inactive for the past five years.
I remember one time where you would get a post in some forums every ten minutes. It was so annoying how quickly threads would sometimes get buried. Successful forum problems.

Also, one of the curious things is that I spend time in some chats where people frequently talk about about how far FP has fallen and how Cameron, Jerlene, etc. are completely incompetent and like banning people who criticise them, as-well as bullying staff who try to make the site better by banning trolls into resigning.

You will have to cross that hurdle to really get any sort of "activity", people talk about FP far more than they actually use it and not in pleasant ways.

Right now, anything here is just screaming in the wind.

• Agree
Reactions: epochcherry

Rick Ace

Administrator
Administrator
Aug 28, 2009
New York City
FP$
This is all the more reason that we need to support each other and our sites. If you help FP by keeping it active you'll end up helping your own sites in the long run.
FP needs more people with this mindset.
There are plenty of good people with this mindset. They're just not as vocal. But they make up the bread and butter of this wonderful community. :D

Cammeh

Owner
Administrator
Owner
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
I have just noticed that FP since like this year has become inactive I mean mostly on here but also on their Discord are there any plans for FP to grow Staff wise or a new theme?
If we just went by monthly stats in regards to the quantity of posts that are being made, we're right about where we typically have been over the last couple years, other than random peaks. For example, one peak was July 2018, which is the month when I took over ownership of this community. Actually, this past January and February were both our most active months since July 2018. That's not saying a whole lot, but it shows that the beginning of 2019 has been more active than the ending of 2018. Again, that's in terms of overall post quantity, which isn't exactly a great statistic to go by either.

I installed a great app called Buffer on my phone, so it's been much easier to update our Facebook and Twitter on a regular basis. It hasn't been happening everyday, but I've typically been posting to Facebook and Twitter every 2-3 days. I don't know if we've gotten any users or anything from that, but we've got plenty of traffic. Probably just bots, but it's something.

Instagram had just been created when we made that announcement about our social media. Unfortunately, Instagram doesn't seem to let you update your account on a computer. You have to be on a mobile device to upload photos, and I've got my personal Instagram attached to my cell phone. I've been meaning to address this, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

This is all the more reason that we need to support each other and our sites. If you help FP by keeping it active you'll end up helping your own sites in the long run. Everyone wants to join in an active community and log on and see new posts every time that interest them. It keeps people returning. The more people that return means the more sites we can do affiliate postings with and that will help us all out. Survival means sticking together :)
That was very well said. Reminds me of that famous JFK quote: "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." :p

If you're gonna run a webmaster forum at least put some time and effort on SEO so it looks like you're running something that can set an example for all the members and new webmasters that register. I wish more was done to boost activity
What are some things that you believe we should be doing right now?

Also, one of the curious things is that I spend time in some chats where people frequently talk about about how far FP has fallen and how Cameron, Jerlene, etc. are completely incompetent and like banning people who criticise them, as-well as bullying staff who try to make the site better by banning trolls into resigning.

You will have to cross that hurdle to really get any sort of "activity", people talk about FP far more than they actually use it and not in pleasant ways.
I do wish that this people weren't speaking negatively of FP elsewhere, but there's not much I can do about that. Have I banned anyone for criticizing me? No, I haven't. Nor has Jerlene.

Empire

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
That's why FP should start doing more with Social Media. I see they are working but not posting any feed.

helping your own sites in the long run
I wish that was true, There are allot of active members here like myself and I don't get good return back to my site.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Forums are getting less traffic overall though too.
It's not just FP. The largest MyBB forum, HackForums, for example is also getting a lot less posts and traffic than in the past. Other large forums like TIGSource (for gaming) are getting little replies on new threads, WarriorForum (for marketing) is completely dead, YTTalk (YouTube related forum) is a lot less active, and the list goes on. Simply put, even the largest forums are getting less and less posts every year. This is not unique to FP at all. It's a shame though because forums being less popular has an even more drastic effect on FP specifically. Less people are visiting forums which means less people are creating forums, and that takes a huge toll.

I think a lot of people here need to realize that the FP getting less traffic and new content isn't just the fault of the administration. It's the effect of social media, Discord, Reddit, and other more modern discussion systems too.

For me personally, I'll explain why I go on forums less.
Simply put, I have a distrust of them. I will rarely join a new forum for 1 big reason. The chances of that forum being active in 6 months from its start is rare, let alone a year+
It is hard to dedicate time to a new forum when it's extremely likely it will not be around.

I have around 20,000 posts on forums that are not even available anymore. That's rough, and has led me to not want to dedicate as much time to them. It's not about the post count, it's about the community "investment". I enjoy being able to participate in a community long-term, and that's why FP is one of the only forums I actually check each day - I don't even post every day. Aside from that, I'm on Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, and TIGSource for game development.

If we can all acknowledge the state of forums as a whole, perhaps we can brainstorm some ideas that actually help FP instead of blaming it all on the staff & not actually doing things to help. FP would be a lot better if we all committed to starting 1 new, unique discussion every day

D

Deleted member 44219

Just like @Ghost said, it isn't just FP itself that's dying, Forums themselves are dying altogether.

Ever since Facebook, Twitter and Instagram came to rise, the Forums just got killed because of them. Picture the big Social Media's as the Mafia and Forums as an innocent Civilian. They're just killing them for no apparent reason. Forums are also mainly for a specific niche/topic. And no one wants to keep searching the entire directory of the Web's 1.8+ billion pages just to find a specific forum for a specific topic.

I've even looked at the the current Users Online on FP's homepage and it doesn't look good. Most of the active people are either guests or robots. Barely any Users.

Since Forums are dieing, so is FP. And none of them are going to recover anytime soon. Including FP.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Yeah, I think we have to look at FP as a community more than a forum. Everyone is obsessed with threads and posts, but community is more important. A forum isn’t guaranteed to be fun just because of post count.

I don’t complain about my grandma having a small amount of messages and letters sent to me, I care about her as a person. It’s the quality, not quantity.

I think this is a mindset people need to have. A thread with 10 fantastic replies is better than a thread with 100 meaningless replies. There’s still enough people on FP to make that happen, but I personally am exhausted of “forum” discussions. I enjoy difficult code/programming, theories about Space and our planet, start ups (not forums as much), and so I’m not here for the original reason I came here. I’m here for the community that once was thriving and can still go on.

Princess MeowsePad

Chocolate Foot Princess
Retired Admin
Jun 4, 2008
meowsepad.org
FP$
If we just went by monthly stats in regards to the quantity of posts that are being made, we're right about where we typically have been over the last couple years, other than random peaks.
You're actually a little bit better off statistics-wise if you look at the big picture. On July 8th, 2018, Forum Promotion had 1,494,422 posts (source: web.archive.org). Today (as of the writing of this post, at least), FP has 1,529,492 posts. For the nine month period that you have owned the forum, FP has received approximately 35,000 posts. That averages to right around 130 posts per day. For the six month period before that (i.e. the last six months that MasterA owned the forum), Forum Promotion received approximately 18,000 posts, or approximately 110 posts per day. That being said, you could say that FP has grown under your leadership.

However, is this increase in activity helping people? We can sit around and look at the raw statistics all day, but what value is Forum Promotion currently offering to people? Are people happy to be here? Is it fun to be a member of Forum Promotion? Those are the real questions, I think, that determine the current level of success on Forum Promotion.

I think that the objective reality is that there have been some positive steps forward since Cameron took over the forum. The dumpster fire that was the review team was finally resolved, and I presume there are plans in place to transition to a "peer to peer review" format where community members help each other out. There are some very fine staff members currently serving. The VC/RA groups are being phased out, and some of the unnecessary hierarchy is being removed. Those are all solid decisions, and I think input from the community really helped guide those moves.

However, there are still some very serious problems that Cameron inherited that still have not been addressed. The staff is still at least as large as the active userbase, if not larger. There is approximately zero transparency, and the forum is being run in a fashion similar to how Richard Nixon ran the Vietnam war (i.e. in secret, and without input from those below). The entire future of the forum is, again, being staked on shiny new technological improvements (i.e. the app, the transition to XenForo 2.1) rather than any real attempt to improve the community. Overall, I just don't think that users are really having fun on Forum Promotion or finding it useful to their communities, and I think that shows in the nature of the topics that have been in Community Matters lately, including this one.

We can't really say that these issues still exist because the staff members do not know about them because they have been brought to their attention numerous times both in private and in the Community Matters forum. Aside from simply bringing attention to the problems, there have been numerous solutions suggested to fix them. I guess some staff acknowledgement of the issues would be a good place to start. Do you guys really think that you are being open and transparent with the community? I see that you are making topics about some issues and asking for user feedback, but it seems like you're cherrypicking. For example, the issues that are brought up for open community discussion are issues that are unlikely to cause much conflict (i.e. changes to packages, the Forum Promotion app, et cetera).

Conflict isn't fun, but it is a necessary evil when it comes to fixing problems. I really feel that you guys should ask the hard questions. Ask people if they're happy to be here on Forum Promotion. Ask people if it's fun. Ask people if FP has value for their communities. If they're not happy to be here, if it's not fun, if it's not offering value to their communities, then ask what can be done to fix it. I know that the approach of the FP staff has traditionally been that commenting on potentially negative aspects of the forum in public is "unprofessional," and maybe that's how it works in a Fortune 500 company, but that's not how it works on a forum that is supposed to be highly centered on community interactions. It's okay to admit that mistakes have been made. It's okay to admit that maybe Forum Promotion just isn't as good as it used to be right now. In fact, I think that's going to be a necessary part of making things better. Instead of hiding from criticism, steer into it and learn from it. Listen to what people have to say rather than shutting them down. @Azareal mentioned that a lot of people spend far more time talking about Forum Promotion than using it. I'm not shy about admitting that I'm one of those people, but here's the thing: I want to be part of the community here. However, it's really hard for me to do that when it seems like every time I try to be part of the community, staff members spit in my face because I go against the grain sometimes. If I say something critical of Forum Promotion (and I think I speak for numerous others as well), it's not because I want to be negative or because I hate the staff. It's because I CARE about Forum Promotion. Sometimes I like to try to be cool and say I just don't give a damn about FP anymore, but that's bullshit, and everyone knows it. I think that a lot of other people like @Cosmic, @John, @Ajay, @Lucky!, @CyberFreak, etc., etc. who have been critical of FP at times feel the same way. We're critical because we care, and we don't mean to hurt your feelings.

I think a lot of us were very excited when Cameron bought the forum because, unlike the previous couple of owners, he was an active member of Forum Promotion long before he bought the place. He was there, and he was on the inside. He cared about Forum Promotion. We thought that, at last, Forum Promotion would have an owner who cares more about making a good community than making as much money as possible without investing any real effort. Cameron, I know that you have good intentions, but you're looking far too much at the current monthly earnings of Forum Promotion and getting tunnel vision. I know that you paid a pretty penny for this place, and I can totally understand wanting to get that money back and make some more as well. However, it's just not going to happen unless you forget about the statistics and the revenue for a while and just focus on making Forum Promotion a place where people have fun and grow their communities at the same time again. That's why I was around Forum Promotion so much back in the day; it was fun, and it was a good way to interact with others who could potentially help grow your community, whether it was through direct participation or by just telling you what you're doing right and wrong so that you can make things better. That's why you were around Forum Promotion back in the day too. Please just get past your monthly revenue and statistics tunnel vision and focus on the qualitative aspects that will make this community a fun and productive place again. That's all anybody here wants.

• Wizard
Reactions: John and 22_22

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
The largest MyBB forum, HackForums, for example is also getting a lot less posts and traffic than in the past.
HackForums was overtaken by RRL which used to use MyBB but went custom (ASP.NET) due to scaling issues. They're mainly writers, so you're mostly going to see 1k to even 10k word chapters and large numbers of readers rather than a billion posts.

They really managed to abuse the hell out of MyBB for a bit lol
Perhaps, the only reason HackForums is still afloat is because you have to login to view any topics or use it.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/01/who-is-anna-senpai-the-mirai-worm-author/ Also, people are probably wary of HackForums because Mirai's Author was on there, along with a bunch of other bad actors.

Mirai was a botnet which took down Paypal, Twitter, etc. with a big attack on the DNS infrastructure provider Dyn. I'm personally surprised the FBI didn't seize HF's domain, but I guess they were a neutral third party.

A few of the writers on RRL do have forums, but they tend to use bbPress, Facebook Groups and Discord lol

Last edited:

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
The largest MyBB forum, HackForums, for example is also getting a lot less posts and traffic than in the past.
HackForums was overtaken by RRL which used to use MyBB but went custom (ASP.NET) due to scaling issues.

Mirai was a botnet which took down Paypal, Twitter, etc. with a big attack on the DNS infrastructure provider Dyn. I'm personally surprised the FBI didn't seize HF's domain, but I guess they were a neutral third party.
I haven't heard of RRL. I'll have to go look. Yeah, MyBB requires a lot of customization to support a large website. There's just way too many queries going on when you have that many users/posts/threads.
I don't think that people steer away from HF because of Mirai or other "bad actors". If anything, that's a reason people gravitate to it. That's pretty cool that they were able to take down PayPal & Twitter with a botnet. They must be a pretty solid coder to be able to circumvent the built in defenses of Twitter. I'm impressed - I would love to meet them, but perhaps they are in prison. If anything they'll have a nice security job waiting for them when they get out :)
I just read about it . Very innovative & cool

Jerlene

The Senseless Blogger
Administrator
Jan 13, 2011
SenselessBlogger.com
senselessblogger.com
FP$
We have new staff members and a new theme is coming with the XF 2.1 upgrade. It was set to be released this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.