Question FP inactive

Discussion in 'Community Matters' started by Champion, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    Many of them are in prison. Congress was furious, they're even considering passing legislation mandating certain levels of security in IoT devices lol

https://arstechnica.com/information...ainst-a-crippling-iot-powered-botnet-and-won/ They attacked Krebs several times to try to silence him as he was revealing inconvenient things like their identities, but Google stepped in to defend him.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/inside-mirai-the-infamous-iot-botnet-a-retrospective-analysis/
    It was a Mirai variant called Satori which took down many tech giants.
    It attacked Dyn with 1TB/s of traffic with a cache busting attack.

Many internal bits of Twitter infrastructure rely on Dyn, so even though Twitter itself didn't go down, it couldn't reach a bunch of endpoints and just errored out.
    And they didn't go after Twitter, or Amazon or AirBNB or Reddit or HBO, it was collateral damage in trying to take down a rival Minecraft server.

2. Ghost

Ghost Seasoned Veteran

+63
    Yeah, I bet. It's intriguing, but they definitely deserve some prison time
    That kind of sucks though... they were just trying to attack a rival MC server & ended up in a lot more trouble than they ever intended... but intentions don't matter in the court of law!
    IoT devices are definitely insecure & most people don't even secure their own computers, so I'm sure there's still hundreds of millions of vulnerable devices - if not more.

Anyways back on topic - The only reason I brought up HF was to reference a popular forum that is less active than it once was

3. Champion

Champion Paragon

+399
    How about just bring the Paypal to FP$ again I miss that and I am sure many people would agree too..

• Facepalm Facepalm x 1
  4. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    FP$ is already worthless enough without creating new ways to devalue it even more lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MrDangem

MrDangem Up-and-Coming Sensation

+66
    I agree that its because of the new social media groups and communities, like facebook group, reddit, and discord.
    People chooses things that are convenient like facebook groups you can encounter almost all of group members posts just by scrolling and easily respond to them.

They really did study every weakness of forum websites and counter it with innovative and attracting features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,202
    Well, might make me rich :p by able to sell all my FP$ for real$100 :p But we all know that won't happen.

7. Champion

Champion Paragon

+399
    Well the site was down today...

8. Dagex

Dagex Resident

+71
    Yeah, I experienced that. Something to do with the servers I guess.

9. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,202
    when was that

10. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+274
    I was having a shower, so I didn't notice. Maybe, it's their shared host acting up again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell Administrator Administrator

+956
    There was apparently a hard drive failure. It has been replaced.

12. Lucky!

Lucky! sudo rm -rf / Retired Admin

+602
    Do those drives not have SMART? Instead of just allowing the site to go offline, there should have been a redundant method to transfer to a backup to allow for the site to remain up even after a main drive failure...ever heard of RAID? If this was shared hosting, it affected other sites as well which isn't good. I hope these customers are getting a full RCA along with a problem management report that outlines what is being done to ensure this doesn't happen again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. xXInfectedXx

xXInfectedXx Former Staff

+412
    This discussion has been made countless times and nothing has changed, unfortunately.

14. Ajay

Ajay I'm The Captain Now

+295
    I don't believe so. I've seen a lot of smaller web hosts not use SMART because it would just save them money. I would assume it's fine for smaller websites but for a forum of FP's size, ya gotta use your head and make the right call on what type of hosting you wanna use. Or you know, sell the forum to someone who's willing to spend money on it.

• Agree Agree x 2