• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

FP inactive

• Thread starter Deleted member 32117
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I haven't heard of RRL. I'll have to go look. Yeah, MyBB requires a lot of customization to support a large website. There's just way too many queries going on when you have that many users/posts/threads.
I don't think that people steer away from HF because of Mirai or other "bad actors". If anything, that's a reason people gravitate to it. That's pretty cool that they were able to take down PayPal & Twitter with a botnet. They must be a pretty solid coder to be able to circumvent the built in defenses of Twitter. I'm impressed - I would love to meet them, but perhaps they are in prison. If anything they'll have a nice security job waiting for them when they get out :)
I just read about it . Very innovative & cool
Many of them are in prison. Congress was furious, they're even considering passing legislation mandating certain levels of security in IoT devices lol

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/how-google-fought-back-against-a-crippling-iot-powered-botnet-and-won/ They attacked Krebs several times to try to silence him as he was revealing inconvenient things like their identities, but Google stepped in to defend him.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/inside-mirai-the-infamous-iot-botnet-a-retrospective-analysis/
It was a Mirai variant called Satori which took down many tech giants.
It attacked Dyn with 1TB/s of traffic with a cache busting attack.

Many internal bits of Twitter infrastructure rely on Dyn, so even though Twitter itself didn't go down, it couldn't reach a bunch of endpoints and just errored out.
And they didn't go after Twitter, or Amazon or AirBNB or Reddit or HBO, it was collateral damage in trying to take down a rival Minecraft server.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
Many of them are in prison. Congress was furious, they're even considering passing legislation mandating certain levels of security in IoT devices lol
They attacked Krebs several times to try to silence him as he was revealing inconvenient things like their identities, but Google stepped in to defend him.
And they didn't go after Twitter, or Amazon or AirBNB or Reddit or HBO, it was collateral damage in trying to take down a rival Minecraft server.
Yeah, I bet. It's intriguing, but they definitely deserve some prison time
That kind of sucks though... they were just trying to attack a rival MC server & ended up in a lot more trouble than they ever intended... but intentions don't matter in the court of law!
IoT devices are definitely insecure & most people don't even secure their own computers, so I'm sure there's still hundreds of millions of vulnerable devices - if not more.

Anyways back on topic - The only reason I brought up HF was to reference a popular forum that is less active than it once was

D

Deleted member 32117

How about just bring the Paypal to FP$ again I miss that and I am sure many people would agree too..

• Facepalm
Reactions: epochcherry

MrDangem

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Mar 16, 2017
Phil
animefused.com
FP$
I agree that its because of the new social media groups and communities, like facebook group, reddit, and discord.
People chooses things that are convenient like facebook groups you can encounter almost all of group members posts just by scrolling and easily respond to them.

They really did study every weakness of forum websites and counter it with innovative and attracting features.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

Empire

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
How about just bring the Paypal to FP$ again I miss that and I am sure many people would agree too..
FP$ is already worthless enough without creating new ways to devalue it even more lol
Well, might make me rich :p by able to sell all my FP$ for real$100 :p But we all know that won't happen.

epochcherry

sudo rm -rf /
Retired Admin
May 22, 2011
FP$
There was apparently a hard drive failure. It has been replaced.
Do those drives not have SMART? Instead of just allowing the site to go offline, there should have been a redundant method to transfer to a backup to allow for the site to remain up even after a main drive failure...ever heard of RAID? If this was shared hosting, it affected other sites as well which isn't good. I hope these customers are getting a full RCA along with a problem management report that outlines what is being done to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Ajay

I'm The Captain Now
Feb 23, 2011
FP$
There was apparently a hard drive failure. It has been replaced.
Do those drives not have SMART? Instead of just allowing the site to go offline, there should have been a redundant method to transfer to a backup to allow for the site to remain up even after a main drive failure...ever heard of RAID? If this was shared hosting, it affected other sites as well which isn't good. I hope these customers are getting a full RCA along with a problem management report that outlines what is being done to ensure this doesn't happen again.
I don't believe so. I've seen a lot of smaller web hosts not use SMART because it would just save them money. I would assume it's fine for smaller websites but for a forum of FP's size, ya gotta use your head and make the right call on what type of hosting you wanna use. Or you know, sell the forum to someone who's willing to spend money on it.

Cammeh

Owner
Administrator
Owner
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
I wasn't remotely active while this downtime was going on, but I've privately discussed this matter with USHost247, and they have assured us that we should be good moving forward.

ChrisGrigg

Community Team Member
Community Team
Forum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2009
South Carolina
www.ushost247.com
FP$
As there has been no new activity on this thread, I am going to lay this thread to rest.

If there is further discussion needed, please feel free to contact a moderator for this thread to be re-opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.