FP is Back Online Officially.

Joshua Farrell

Administrator
Administrator
Nov 9, 2009
offtopichub.com
FP$
Like Badge
We are back online officially. We needed to switch hosts in order to have things sorted out. We hope this downtime hasn't scared you loyal members away from the forum. The initial issue was due to our host not working out the way they had made it seem, so we ended up switching to a new provider.

I hope you all will come back and start posting and making up for the activity, due to the issue we couldn't avoid continuing to have.

ChrisGrigg

Community Team Member
Community Team
Forum Sponsor
SiteGround definitely limited the transfer connection speed, as their "vps" only connected at 650kb/s. Which is another thing that took a long time. Their VPS was limited in so many ways. Should have had the possibility to do root to root, but they didn't offer it for some reason. Then of course with two different servers, theres always settings that are different that can cause issues, so there were some htaccess issues and differences that caused issues. But all in all, everything seems to be in order so far. Any issues, be sure to notify us. :)

Reactions: Carlos X and Cammeh

Cammeh

Administrator
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Cookie Badge
I apologize for the downtime everyone. All of this started with a SSL license that wasn't set to autorenew, and it just happened to expire at the worst possible time. I just started my new job and I flew out to Arkansas for training, so I've been extremely busy. I wouldn't have even noticed that FP was offline if a number of individuals had not messaged me on Skype, Discord, Facebook, etc. Anyways, a number of issues seemed to come up, and I wasn't getting too much assistance from the ticket I had opened up with our hosting provider. Ultimately, we decided that this was an opportunity go ahead and change hosts while we're at it, as I had been planning on us changing hosts for a while.

It's been a hectic last few days, and I am hopeful that there won't be any more hiccups! Thanks for your continued support of Forum Promotion. :)

I apologize for the downtime everyone. All of this started with a SSL license that wasn't set to autorenew, and it just happened to expire at the worst possible time. I just started my new job and I flew out to Arkansas for training, so I've been extremely busy. I wouldn't have even noticed that FP was offline if a number of individuals had not messaged me on Skype, Discord, Facebook, etc. Anyways, a number of issues seemed to come up, and I wasn't getting too much assistance from the ticket I had opened up with our hosting provider. Ultimately, we decided that this was an opportunity go ahead and change hosts while we're at it, as I had been planning on us changing hosts for a while.

It's been a hectic last few days, and I am hopeful that there won't be any more hiccups! Thanks for your continued support of Forum Promotion. :)
*pushes @Cameron around* Does that mean XF2 isn't far off!?!?!?

:p

• Whistle
Reactions: ChrisGrigg
B

Bryn

That's good to know, but I have an issue to report... while I can browse around the forum just fine, somehow I still cannot access the forum's main index, as I'm still getting a pop-up telling me to download "application/x-httpd-ea-php56". Also, I can't log-in under the "www" domain of the site either and I know that my details are correct :\

That's good to know, but I have an issue to report... while I can browse around the forum just fine, somehow I still cannot access the forum's main index, as I'm still getting a pop-up telling me to download "application/x-httpd-ea-php56". Also, I can't log-in under the "www" domain of the site either and I know that my details are correct :\
Always clear cache after a server move of a site.

For the moment, though... don't use the "www" part until the admins put in redirects.

B

Bryn

I did that... still can't access the main index. It was a "hard refresh" I did by the way where I believe that clears out the cache also. Unless I'm mistaken.

• Sad
Reactions: Carlos X
It's been down for the longest time in history! well for me anyway. I hear that FP was going to move server/hosts in the future anyway and so maybe the SSL licence was that kick to push move. I haven't noticed anything wrong yet apart from at times it's little slow and delayed.

Man! taken 24 hours to clear the DNS! flipping flip flop flap

cryptik

i exploit & break into things
May 22, 2011
FP$
Out of courtesy, why the abrupt move to a new host? SiteGround is bound by SLAs and depending on the criticality of the incident, it's not going to be treated with the upmost priority. I work in an environment with constant SLA and OLA monitoring, so this isn't new to me.

In the future, if I knew I would need better support than what is offered, I would work work the provider to draft up an SLR (Service Level Requirement) from which they will draft up an SLA based on your requirements.

I don't know if it's really fair to up and leave a host just because the ticket didn't get that quick of resolution if they were still well within their described SLA for your service agreement. Now, if they beached an SLA, that's different and then that's cause for concern. I know this is a little more technical, but coming from someone that works in an SLA driven environment and holds ITIL certifications, this is second nature for me.

Due to the abrupt move to a new host, further downtime was experienced than what would have been caused just due to the SSL certificate. I don't know the timeline of events, but I feel like a day and a half of downtime could have been avoided.

• Dislike
Reactions: Carlos X