• Guest, we are pleased to inform you that Forum Promotion has been integrated with Discord. This means no matter where you are you can always stay connected to Forum Promotion. You can connect your Discord account to Forum Promotion by going to you account connected-accounts or by Clicking here. Once your account is connected and if you are part of the FP's Discord, you will automatically be given a role "Approved Users". And when ever a thread/post is created a notication will be posted in #new-threads and #new-posts.

GDPR and changes to our privacy policy

MasterA

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Jan 20, 2013
FP$
Hello everyone,

Some of you may have been receiving a lot of emails lately about changes to privacy policies of websites you use. As you may know tomorrow will be the 25th of May and it is the day where the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be enforced. To comply with the GDPR, we have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service to comply with the regulations. You will be required to accept the new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service before you can continue to use Forum Promotion.

Thanks

Kind regards,
MasterA

Reactions: Jordan

Jordan

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$
Awesome :)
I see you also updated the software to force everyone to re-read them :)

Reactions: MasterA

MasterA

Retired Administrator
Retired Admin
Jan 20, 2013
FP$
Awesome :)
I see you also updated the software to force everyone to re-read them :)
Yes, the new update has quite a few nice tools to help you comply with the new regulations.

I had to confirm twice to get rid of the page. I think the final XF version fixed that.
We are currently on the latest XF version. One of them was the Privacy Policy and the other one was the Terms of Service.

Jordan

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$
I had to confirm twice to get rid of the page. I think the final XF version fixed that.
This:

One of them was the Privacy Policy and the other one was the Terms of Service.
Should maybe make both checkboxes on the same page :) (doable, I did it on my site. Will have to edit the code though :p)

Reactions: MasterA

Cosmic

Manners maketh man
Retired Admin
Jul 5, 2009
FP$
Does this mean that fp is spying on me

Reactions: Kino

Jordan

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$

Kaynil

Paragon
Package Team
Valued Contributor
Oct 28, 2009
zeldacavern.com
FP$
I find a but shady when a site asks me to agree to a policy changes and does not even link me to their TOS page.

Good thing I trust you and here I know where to look but it's still convoluted for the members that haven't explored as much.

I would really suggest to add a direct link to it somewhere in the notification display.

• Agree
Reactions: Cammeh and John

Jordan

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$
I find a but shady when a site asks me to agree to a policy changes and does not even link me to their TOS page.

Good thing I trust you and here I know where to look but it's still convoluted for the members that haven't explored as much.

I would really suggest to add a direct link to it somewhere in the notification display.
The notifications did include a link. It just wasn't a different color. However, if you hovered over the text that said "privacy policy" next to the checkbox (Not the notice) it would have been a link.

• Agree
Reactions: Sam
B

Bryn

Was hit first by the two messages before I can get on here. Besides, I just accepted them like I always do in regards to privacy statements and that so, I think I'm good.

Empire

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Only if they want EU users, otherwise some websites are blocking them or not targeting them at all.
That's what I wouldn't do, I mean it's people it's traffic and not far to keep those members out.

Now THIS is the change to save FP.
Allot will be affected and it has, allot of business are affected, So in terms of saving FP?

Kaynil

Paragon
Package Team
Valued Contributor
Oct 28, 2009
zeldacavern.com
FP$
I find a bit shady when a site asks me to agree to a policy changes and does not even link me to their TOS page.

The notifications did include a link. It just wasn't a different color. However, if you hovered over the text that said "privacy policy" next to the checkbox (Not the notice) it would have been a link.
I was on my mobile so hovering to see if it was there was not an option. I tried tapping just in case where I thought it could be anchored but it seems like I missed it. I think for the sake of clarity it wouldn't hurt having it stand out a little more, many people use smartphones, but I guess is not that big of a deal - just something I thought worth bringing to your attention.

Carlos X

Resident
Feb 28, 2013
California
www.carlosx360.com
FP$
We definitely be seeing some changes and be interested in what results may come. Each and every website has to comply to the new law that's EU for you.

So, PLEASE watch you back!!
Only if they want EU users, otherwise some websites are blocking them or not targeting them at all.
The problem isn't that. The problem is EU being stupid and greedy. They don't care who you are, or whether you broke the law or not... they'll just make excuses to tax you with this law. They are hurting for money right now, and the way they want to fix their ongoing stupidity, is this law.

Some website owners don't intend to reach EU residents, but end up having EU residents. That's why this law is so dumb on so many levels it boggles my mind.

Lets say you launch a Call of Duty website, and you ended up getting EU users. Was it your intention to get EU users? If no, then this law shouldn't apply to you. But it does.

I don't like the two checkmarks thing when I got in here, but eh, it's to be expected from a stupid, dumb law like this.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
The problem isn't that. The problem is EU being stupid and greedy. They don't care who you are, or whether you broke the law or not... they'll just make excuses to tax you with this law. They are hurting for money right now, and the way they want to fix their ongoing stupidity, is this law.

Some website owners don't intend to reach EU residents, but end up having EU residents. That's why this law is so dumb on so many levels it boggles my mind.

Lets say you launch a Call of Duty website, and you ended up getting EU users. Was it your intention to get EU users? If no, then this law shouldn't apply to you. But it does.

I don't like the two checkmarks thing when I got in here, but eh, it's to be expected from a stupid, dumb law like this.
What can you do, the thing's in force, and I don't think the EU will ever repeal it, although I'm not sure the EU will really survive for that long with the UK leaving and all the problems it faces.

The strangest thing about the GDPR is actually how everyone seemed to be caught completely off-guard. Like it suddenly appeared out of thin air. Very curious. I spoke to people about the right to be forgotten back in mid-2017 but people kinda just shrugged.

Sponsors