GDPR and changes to our privacy policy

Discussion in 'News Center' started by MasterA, May 24, 2018.

1. MasterA

MasterA Administrator Retired Admin

+662
    Hello everyone,

Some of you may have been receiving a lot of emails lately about changes to privacy policies of websites you use. As you may know tomorrow will be the 25th of May and it is the day where the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will be enforced. To comply with the GDPR, we have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service to comply with the regulations. You will be required to accept the new Privacy Policy and Terms of Service before you can continue to use Forum Promotion.

Thanks

Kind regards,
    MasterA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jordan

Jordan Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+570
    Awesome :)
    I see you also updated the software to force everyone to re-read them :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marc

Marc Paragon

+6
    I had to confirm twice to get rid of the page. I think the final XF version fixed that.

4. MasterA

MasterA Administrator Retired Admin

+662
    Yes, the new update has quite a few nice tools to help you comply with the new regulations.

We are currently on the latest XF version. One of them was the Privacy Policy and the other one was the Terms of Service.

5. Jordan

+570
    This:

Should maybe make both checkboxes on the same page :) (doable, I did it on my site. Will have to edit the code though :p)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cosmic

Cosmic Manners maketh man Retired Admin

+808
    Does this mean that fp is spying on me

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jordan

+570
    Oh yea. This isn't anything new though ;)

We know where you sleep :O :angelic:

8. Joshua Farrell

Joshua Farrell Administrator Administrator

+918
    I was already spying on you. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,028
    We definitely be seeing some changes and be interested in what results may come. Each and every website has to comply to the new law that's EU for you.

So, PLEASE watch you back!!

10. Bluezone777

Bluezone777 Dinner Team Leader

+310
    Oh joy... more rules and privacy term pages I can agree to without actually reading them like I do every other Privacy page and TOS page I am asked to agree to. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. KnownSyntax

KnownSyntax Up-and-Coming Sensation

+18
    Only if they want EU users, otherwise some websites are blocking them or not targeting them at all.

12. Kaynil

Kaynil Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+448
    I find a but shady when a site asks me to agree to a policy changes and does not even link me to their TOS page.

Good thing I trust you and here I know where to look but it's still convoluted for the members that haven't explored as much.

I would really suggest to add a direct link to it somewhere in the notification display.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jordan

+570
    The notifications did include a link. It just wasn't a different color. However, if you hovered over the text that said "privacy policy" next to the checkbox (Not the notice) it would have been a link.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. John

John Retired Administrator Retired Admin

+832
    Now THIS is the change to save FP.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bluezone777

Bluezone777 Dinner Team Leader

+310
    Actually I think that change would be electing Donald Trump President of FP but hey this will have to do I suppose. :p

16. Bryn

Bryn Paragon

+197
    Was hit first by the two messages before I can get on here. Besides, I just accepted them like I always do in regards to privacy statements and that so, I think I'm good.

17. Empire

Empire Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+2,028
    That's what I wouldn't do, I mean it's people it's traffic and not far to keep those members out.

Allot will be affected and it has, allot of business are affected, So in terms of saving FP?

18. Kaynil

Kaynil Valued Contributor Valued Contributor

+448
    I was on my mobile so hovering to see if it was there was not an option. I tried tapping just in case where I thought it could be anchored but it seems like I missed it. I think for the sake of clarity it wouldn't hurt having it stand out a little more, many people use smartphones, but I guess is not that big of a deal - just something I thought worth bringing to your attention.

19. Carlos X

Carlos X Up-and-Coming Sensation

+107
    The problem isn't that. The problem is EU being stupid and greedy. They don't care who you are, or whether you broke the law or not... they'll just make excuses to tax you with this law. They are hurting for money right now, and the way they want to fix their ongoing stupidity, is this law.

Some website owners don't intend to reach EU residents, but end up having EU residents. That's why this law is so dumb on so many levels it boggles my mind.

Lets say you launch a Call of Duty website, and you ended up getting EU users. Was it your intention to get EU users? If no, then this law shouldn't apply to you. But it does.

I don't like the two checkmarks thing when I got in here, but eh, it's to be expected from a stupid, dumb law like this.

20. Azareal

Azareal Paragon

+146
    What can you do, the thing's in force, and I don't think the EU will ever repeal it, although I'm not sure the EU will really survive for that long with the UK leaving and all the problems it faces.

The strangest thing about the GDPR is actually how everyone seemed to be caught completely off-guard. Like it suddenly appeared out of thin air. Very curious. I spoke to people about the right to be forgotten back in mid-2017 but people kinda just shrugged.