Going to work in a cast.

Joshua Farrell

Forum Stock Market General Manager
Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
Like Badge
For those who are refusing to read the other threads I created, I broke my left arm (next to my wrist) last week on a Wednesday evening. I broke the big bone of the arm, literally right above the wrist, so I have claiming rights to breaking both my left wrist and arm. :D

I am considering going to work in a cast, but where I work, there aren't many things I can do one handed, if I don't have the ability to use both hands. I know it is premature to go to work anyways, as that is not what I am considering to do, until the break looks well enough off, that standing for long periods with my left wrist wouldn't bother it too badly.

So this is what I want an opinion on; in 3 weeks, when I get a new x-ray and a brand new cast, I will be considering going back to work if the break, pain and swelling isn't too bad. Should I go to work and try to do some of my typical duties that won't require doing a whole lot, or just lay around the house being bored for another 3-4 weeks, and not risk it?

Last edited:

Pennywise

Madly Diligent
I'm with @Fiona1964 on this. I would not be able to go back to work until the doctor(s) that were treating me gave me a doctor's note saying that I was able to do my job again. The corporate office requires this and will not allow you back to work without it, no matter what the boss at my store says. Another thing is we only have short term disability at my job. You can only miss 90 days in each 12 month period. So, whatever problem you're experiencing isn't able to be fixed in that 90 day period then you'll essentially have to give up your job.

As far as my opinion on the matter, it depends on a couple of things.
- First, how do you feel or how will you feel in a couple of weeks when you go back to get an X-ray and a new cast?
- Second, what do you do for a living? If your job is very physically demanding then I wouldn't do it at all.

Joshua Farrell

Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
Like Badge
Just considering it here. I work prepping food, and the substitute tasks I have been given if I decide to come in with the cast, would mainly constitute stirring things for the soup, dishing out deserts (like fruit custard), or working the food line with one hand.

Joshua Farrell

Nov 9, 2009
forumpromotion.net
FP$
Red Diamond
Like Badge
Sorry to hear about that. Feel free to share how it happened, but you don't have to.

Lämmchen

Paragon
Community Team
Although it's tempting to want to do things at work, try not to use the arm with the break because you want it to heal and not take any longer than necessary. If you feel okay doing stuff one-handed and you have the energy then go for it. If you don't feel up to it or you feel you might be tempted to use the arm with the break then skip it for now. You just got that cast...let it work for a bit.