Feedback Hashtags

Ash

Seasoned Veteran
Nov 14, 2012
London
aakashpereira.co.uk
FP$
A good addition to the forum and it's nice to see trending hashtags on the side. But I think something should be done about random hashtags (especially ones advertising sites) being used.

For example, it makes sense for me to use my site hashtag to thank users for voting for my site on my battle thread. But it's weird to have a random hashtag for another site posted when someone is simply saying they have voted.

Reactions: Jordan

Empire

Confederation of lords
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Reactions: JoyFreak

Nerdface

Familiar Face
Feb 28, 2019
Sheffield, England
nerdface.co.uk
FP$
I agree with @Ash and feel like it's being completely abused.. Posts are being made that make no sense at all.

FP already has plenty of promotion opportunities, the hashtags should be kept entirely separate (or removed). I don't really see the need for them in addition to the tagging system already in place.. :pigeoner:

Reactions: Jordan

JoyFreak

Resident
Oct 20, 2017
www.joyfreak.com
FP$
I agree with @Ash and feel like it's being completely abused.. Posts are being made that make no sense at all.

FP already has plenty of promotion opportunities, the hashtags should be kept entirely separate (or removed). I don't really see the need for them in addition to the tagging system already in place.. :pigeoner:
There needs to be a purpose, atm there isn’t one so everyone’s just having fun with it which we assumed is the purpose of this feature. Removing it or adding rules will just make it boring. We have to consider that it’s brought activity and why would anyone take that away? Just have fun! There isn’t anything wrong with how it’s been used thus far.
#JoyFreak

I think people are seeing JoyFreak at the top of the trending widget and are getting sour. It’s just a widget and there’s more to it than just that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gio

Nerdface

Familiar Face
Feb 28, 2019
Sheffield, England
nerdface.co.uk
FP$
Just have fun! There isn’t anything wrong with how it’s been used thus far.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that.. There's nothing fun about seeing random hashtags in posts that don't even relate to it's content, we can see the post was made by a user; Their username, avatar, and signature surround the post. Just my two penneth.

• Agree
Reactions: Ash

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
Sep 5, 2008
SW Florida
FP$
I don't see the point in turning this forum into a mini Twitter for exactly? So far, it looks like it's just being used as a toy that people will grow bored with in time and the leaderboard for it will just sit there wasting space on the index. If it is supposd to have a genuinely useful purpose then someone should show what it is because right now it looks dumb being there and doesn't currently justify its own existence thus far.

Jordan

Valued Contributor
Sep 11, 2012
Canada
www.Pardy.co
FP$
I agree with @Ash
Having a hashtag at the end of every one of your posts should be considered offtopic, unless that hashtag is actually, well, on topic.
Prime example:

An utterly useless response :laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: Gio and JoyFreak

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
Blogger
Jun 25, 2009
Earth
wubur.com
FP$
I agree, there should be something in place to prevent this.
Perhaps a general rule, community awareness, and reporting is enough though!

I would like to point out the following error as well...
Hashtags are not always used to represent a "trending topic" or something we want to be linked.
For example, I was writing an article just now and wanted to use the # sign to represent a variable number...
Bug Error ###, for Visual Studio Version #
I wrote it this way because there was no specific need to include the actual error code (long) / Version number. I changed it now to say 'Bug Error X in Visual Studio Version Y', but that's not ideal.

I think that there should be a way to specifically say "I want to include a linked hashtag". Here's another example...
#blob is trending on Twitter
That doesn't specifically mean that #blog needs to be a real hashtag on ForumPromotion because it's just a reference to something else.

Step #1:
We need to either give a way for users to say "Yes, insert hashtag link here" like a URL, or give users a way to prevent the hashtag (example: backslashing - \#should-not-trigger-hashtag-link )
However, here's the issue I see with that: Backslashing usually hides the backslash so that #should-not-trigger-hashtag-link would appear like that, without being linked and without showing the backslash... However, some URLs are formatted with a backslash as most browsers recognize it as a forward slash... ex: https:\\wubur.com\index.php still works. I could see a potential issue if a backslash is in a URL or part of a specific text...

Step #2:
Educate the community on how to properly use (or not use) the hashtag link in their posts

Step #3:
Profit

What we learned from this post:
Steps #1, #2, and #3 can help us fix this issue of hashtags triggering links for things we don't need trending. Multiple hashtags don't need to become their own hashtag, like with bug error ### (or XXX), and if you agree with me please include #Ghost in your post so I can trend

edit:
For some reason the #3 is NOT hash-linked in the paragraph directly above & in Step #3, but not down here in the first part of this sentence, but it IS linked in this second part of this sentence, and to be honest if I type out #3 I don't know if it will hash or not. I'll find out when I #save this post :)
#Confused

edit: it appears that my #3 did NOT hash automatically because *I think* there's a space after it.
So #3 with a space won't hash, but #3, (with a comma there) will link. So I guess hashes need to be at least two characters, which explains why a single # will not link, but double ## will link. This leads to another issue... punctuation. Commas don't appear to #trigger, #a, #link, #unless, #the, #hashtag, #is, #two, #characters, #including, #the, #comma, #but, #when, #the, #hashtag, #is, #more, #than, #one, #character, #the, #comma, #is, #not, #part, #of, #it.
Let's test...
#a
#a,
#b,
#b

Also, ## or ### will link, a single # won't link, but ###### hashes the first 3, but not the last 3.

The rules in place here for hashing#seem to be a bit strange.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kaynil and Jordan

Bluezone777

Dinner Team Leader
Sep 5, 2008
SW Florida
FP$
It seems sticking the text in a code box blocks the hashtag system from working as an example below shows. It's not the best solution I admit but it is at least one you can use now while something else is worked on that might work better.

Code:
 #test
#test