• Hello Guest, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our email system. Please expect a delay in email delivery.

Feedback Hashtags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martee

Paragon
To be fair, on a serious side I don't see the problem with it. If you don't want to see Joyfreak on the top of the board, or MeowsePad or whatever else, post around, contribute to discussions and add your own hashtags into the mix. Can't blame people for wanting to get a bit of extra promotion in my eyes. I'm the only one being an idiot with it by placing [HASH=18771]#sm0lpeepee[/HASH] into things, the rest is just natural usage (aside from the joyfreak spam thread lol).

If I had a site, I'd be signing off messages with it as well. We all want our own site to do well, so why wouldn't you take advantage of what you can?

Jordan

█🍁█ Valued Contributor
To be fair, on a serious side I don't see the problem with it. If you don't want to see Joyfreak on the top of the board, or MeowsePad or whatever else, post around, contribute to discussions and add your own hashtags into the mix. Can't blame people for wanting to get a bit of extra promotion in my eyes. I'm the only one being an idiot with it by placing [HASH=18771]#sm0lpeepee[/HASH] into things, the rest is just natural usage (aside from the joyfreak spam thread lol).

If I had a site, I'd be signing off messages with it as well. We all want our own site to do well, so why wouldn't you take advantage of what you can?
Problem is, it would be better if the hashtags were being used naturally, like any other site that has them. It's instead being used as a spam feature. Like some of the posts above. It's a actually breaking FPs rules and nothing is being done about it. Posting off topic or spam messages in a thread should be treated as such: spam.

If a messages isn't going to provide meaningful content to the thread, don't post.

It's all right to want to advertise, but do so naturally. Be on topic, and don't spam.

If I were to plug in any one of my URLs in every single post I make around the forum, or even just reply to a thread with just an offtopic link to my site and nothing else, those links and/or posts would be deleted.

If you want to sign off on your messages, there's a place for that. Called the signature. Put your hashtag in there.

The problem is, it's driving the quality of content on this site down by a huge margin. And honestly, just makes the person doing it look like a jack ass. A site I wouldn't visit.

Martee

Paragon
Problem is, it would be better if the hashtags were being used naturally, like any other site that has them. It's instead being used as a spam feature. Like some of the posts above. It's a actually breaking FPs rules and nothing is being done about it. Posting off topic or spam messages in a thread should be treated as such: spam.

If a messages isn't going to provide meaningful content to the thread, don't post.

It's all right to want to advertise, but do so naturally. Be on topic, and don't spam.

If I were to plug in any one of my URLs in every single post I make around the forum, or even just reply to a thread with just an offtopic link to my site and nothing else, those links and/or posts would be deleted.

If you want to sign off on your messages, there's a place for that. Called the signature. Put your hashtag in there.

The problem is, it's driving the quality of content on this site down by a huge margin. And honestly, just makes the person doing it look like a jack ass. A site I wouldn't visit.

Aye I'm not disagreeing on that point but in the absence of rules/moderation around the hashtags people will take advantage. I'd too much prefer if the hashtags were properly used and that but hey, until it's got the rules in place and that what are we going to do? With the best will in the world (given I'm also a fool in this regard) - I haven't seen quality content on here lately, aside from the stuff I see the spooky @Ghost posting which is the only stuff that I can recall recently that stands out as 'quality'. I'm just more 'who cares' about things lol, people will take advantage, people will muck about, that's life for me.

Jordan

█🍁█ Valued Contributor
I'd too much prefer if the hashtags were properly used and that but hey, until it's got the rules in place and that what are we going to do?
As stated above, a lot of the post already are breaking the rules. I don't see a reason to have a specific rule about hashtags. The very first rule of the forums is as follows.
All posts must contribute productively to the conversation, and be written to the best of the author’s ability..
A single reply with just a hashtag promoting a site breaks that rule right there. And staff is just letting people spam the forums.

It's also breaking the second rule:
we ask you to please post at least one (1) sentence per post, and reframe from posting things such as “Bump”, unless you are playing a Forum Game.

And the fourth:
Only Advertise Where Allowed
Where is the staff?
@Cammeh

Users of your forum can see the spam and abuse from the hashtag system, and are complaining about it. What's going to be done about it?

Last edited:

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
FP$
The hashtags are useless in their current form, it's obviously being taken advantaged of. I just used AdBlock to block the Trending section in the sidebar to hide it :)

Attachments

• 1561390803279.png
    1561390803279.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 83
D

Deleted member 43584

[HASH=53]#JoyFreak[/HASH]

FYI, the thread is called hashtag.. who’s going off topic? Come forward or forever hold your speech!

mav3n

lvl 9000 IQ
FP$
Another thing, you could just block the user lol They will just keep spreading their bullshit, might as well make it so no one sees it :p

CyberFreak

Legendary Typer
There is no benefit to the hash tags with the way they are being used now. It is just makes posts and certain users look spammy. If people used them as intended then they would be useful (to an extent) but if some users start being idiots and spam them pointlessly then what is the point of them? It just highlights that some users need to grow up and stop abusing things for fun.

Another thing, you could just block the user lol They will just keep spreading their bullshit, might as well make it so no one sees it :p
Or just report all the posts with spammy hashtags until something is done about them.

Gio

FP's Greek Ambassador
It's literally coming down to some people so desperate to get their site exposure that they're willing to embarrass themselves, and they're clearly proud of it.

Martee

Paragon
There is no benefit to the hash tags with the way they are being used now. It is just makes posts and certain users look spammy. If people used them as intended then they would be useful (to an extent) but if some users start being idiots and spam them pointlessly then what is the point of them? It just highlights that some users need to grow up and stop abusing things for fun.

Or just report all the posts with spammy hashtags until something is done about them.

With the best will in the world I don't think I need to "grow up" at all, your opinion may be that the people you're all mentioning (but not mentioning..just be honest?) need to though, and that's cool. I am pretty sure I'm really not hurting anyone by typing 'small penis' or sm0lpeepee , and if I was hurting someone I would stop. If the moderation team on this site removed the posts, I would stop. There are no benefits as it stands, no, I agree with you on that one.

I do think that people here are getting a bit more salty over this than one really should, at the end of the day this site has a few more issues than site or two sitting on a trending hashtag feature that are probably more urgent to resolve and I know the team behind FP will be trying to do that. If y'all want change, stop camping in community feedback and spread yourself across the site and get posting this HQ content you all seem to want. It ain't going to just fly into your window, be the change you want to see my dudes. I'm sure once members see other members actually giving a damn to post good content, hopefully a few more will join in and so on. I'm not going to be that person because I honestly don't mind if this place is a trollfest or a HQ love-in, either way I'm good with what occurs but that's me. I'm not the person who gives a damn, you all seem to.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
I haven't seen quality content on here lately, aside from the stuff I see the spooky @Ghost posting which is the only stuff that I can recall recently that stands out as 'quality'.
I think there are a lot of users sharing valuable ideas and starting good discussions on FP still. I definitely don't think I am the only one posting quality content.

FYI, the thread is called hashtag.. who’s going off topic? Come forward or forever hold your speech!
Yes, the thread is about hashtags, so we should be discussing hashtags and how to make them better.
I think you can agree that some of your posts in this thread contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion and are unrelated to the topic.
Here's an analogy of sorts - If we are discussing thread replies, the sole act of making a thread reply doesn't automatically contribute to the discussion just because it is a thread reply. If we're discussing Twitter's tweets on their website, making tweets with a bunch of random symbols doesn't contribute to the actual discussion about tweets. Yes, your posts are technically related to hashtags because you used hashtags in your replies, but you didn't actually contribute to the discussion. [HASH=88143]#stopImmatureHashtags[/HASH]

Salty people [HASH=53]#JoyFreak[/HASH]
[HASH=88135]#ProudandLoud[/HASH] [HASH=53]#JoyFreak[/HASH]

Last edited:

Martee

Paragon
I think there are a lot of users sharing valuable ideas and starting good discussions on FP still. I definitely don't think I am the only one posting quality content.

No of course, I don't want to insinuate that people on this site don't give a damn at all, I was just using yourself as a member that I've recently noticed that is posting HQ stuff in my own opinion. I'll apologise if that's how that one came across. :) I know there are people who care (given this thread and all) I just think we're all focusing on small crap when the site has bigger issues. That's my own jam though, if y'all think hashtags are a large issue, that use your collective power and change the situation for good. When that's done, let's all pool together and get this site back if y'all want that to happen.

D

Deleted member 43584

Yes, the thread is about hashtags, so we should be discussing hashtags and how to make them better.
I think you can agree that some of your posts in this thread contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion and are unrelated to the topic.
Here's an analogy of sorts - If we are discussing thread replies, the sole act of making a thread reply doesn't automatically contribute to the discussion just because it is a thread reply. If we're discussing Twitter's tweets on their website, making tweets with a bunch of random symbols doesn't contribute to the actual discussion about tweets. Yes, your posts are technically related to hashtags because you used hashtags in your replies, but you didn't actually contribute to the discussion.
I’m not going to stop for the sake of peoples opinion because quite honestly, I just don’t care. If there were rules regarding hashtags or a moderators input on the matter then things would obviously be different.

There aren’t rules regarding hashtags on other sites like Twitter, instagram etc. People use them to their own advantage..
The issue here is we have a widget with the top 5 trending hashtags on the front page and people are getting salty about the top 5 that’s currently on there, remove the widget and problem solved.

Ghost

Seasoned Veteran
I’m not going to stop for the sake of peoples opinion because quite honestly, I just don’t care. If there were rules regarding hashtags or a moderators input on the matter then things would obviously be different.

There aren’t rules regarding hashtags on other sites like Twitter, instagram etc. People use them to their own advantage..
The issue here is we have a widget with the top 5 trending hashtags on the front page and people are getting salty about the top 5 that’s currently on there, remove the widget and problem solved.

I disagree. I don't think it's people's opinions / people just being "salty". People attempt to use hashtags to their own advantage, but it's a lot different because a lot of times they are simply jumping in on a popular hashtag - it's extremely difficult for someone not famous to actually trend a hashtag. The only difference is that hardly anyone is actually using hashtags except for users wanting to trend their own username/website, or immature sexual references, so all it takes is a few posts to trend.

I don't think the solution to people misusing the hashtags is to remove hashtags. I think the real answer is for people to use them properly. [HASH=88143]#stopImmatureHashtags[/HASH] is a great example of a hashtag that doesn't advertise a site or user, promotes a positive community change, and is relevant. We can all use [HASH=88143]#stopImmatureHashtags[/HASH] if we're in support of it. That's a lot different than trying to promote your name / site in my opinion.

Many of your posts are actually breaking the rules.
Here are some official FP rules. I don't want to backseat moderate, but I did want to mention them because you keep saying that you're not breaking any rules because there are no "hashtag rules". But there are. A hashtag is just a part of a post, and there are many rules about posts.

~Posts are generally expected to be long enough to express yourself. This means "bump" posts are unacceptable.
~Posts are expected to be relevant to their topic and forum.
~Posts may NEVER contain content that is [..] sexual. (sm0lpeepee)
~The forum's functions should always be used appropriately. [..] your actions should be beneficial for the general good of the community and not against it.
~Firstly, use common sense at all times.

[HASH=88143]#stopImmatureHashtags[/HASH]

Gio

FP's Greek Ambassador

It's not even that. It's literally that people are using them to advertise for their sites where they shouldn't be advertised. You shouldn't be advertising in posts outside of the Promotion Directory or your signature, and people are using the hashtags to bypass that.

Martee

Paragon
With the best will in the world I rarely see posts moderated in accordance with those rules. Obviously take that one with a pinch of salt, I'm not a CT member so I can't actually comment on what is happening moderation wise but I can imagine there are a lot of posts around this forum that are crappy 'bumps', people making much lewder jokes than I am with a tiny hashtag and posts that just are irrelevant. I find the whole 'no rules on hashtag' thing to be subjective, I see the hashtag feature as a separate feature to a post itself, even though it naturally ends up inside a post. Sure, common sense would dictate I don't start using the hashtags to go around throwing swear words into the mix like the f*** and c*** ones but there's nothing that stops someone using a hashtag in whatever way. That's an arguable point I realise, you seem to think it's part of a post itself whereas I see it as separate. That's my thing.

It's not even that. It's literally that people are using them to advertise for their sites where they shouldn't be advertised. You shouldn't be advertising in posts outside of the Promotion Directory or your signature, and people are using the hashtags to bypass that.

Change the rules then? The rules may say you can't promote outside, but it doesn't say you can't use hashtags which presumably were added AFTER that original rule was written. Just update the dang rule to say "Please don't use the hashtags like a bell end" and this whole thing is solved. OR get some moderation on the users (including myself), give us the cringey PM that says "Now now..." and we'll be on our merry way. :)

D

Deleted member 43584

Okay, so here’s a non rude post from you that’s actually worth replying to. So here it goes.. I’ve only really done it in this particular thread. I admit when it first got introduced I used it a few times outside of promotion directory but I stopped since. I started doing it here as a response to rude posts or salty posts. There’s really no need for it. We just have to wait and see what decision is made by the admins/mods.

• Dislike
Reactions: Gio
Status
Not open for further replies.