[HELP] EU User Consent Policy

simonweb

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
The text just explains that you can choose to display "non-personalized ads" to your visitors from the European Economic Area. These are ads that are more GDPR-compliant because the ads are displayed based on contextual information from your website (i.e. your page has text about dating then Google will show your EU visitors ads about dating) and NOT displayed based on privacy invasive user-profile tracking. These contextual ads are basically what Google used to do before they started profiling every online user to show more "personal" ads.

• Informative
Reactions: jenna appleseed

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
I would be wary of non-personalized ads, to be honest, although I'm not sure about Google in particular.
Something you have to keep in mind is that if they think you are human, then they will serve high quality ads, otherwise they're more likely to serve malware.

• Disagree

simonweb

Up-and-Coming Sensation
Aug 1, 2017
Sweden
redly.social
FP$
I would be wary of non-personalized ads, to be honest, although I'm not sure about Google in particular.
Something you have to keep in mind is that if they think you are human, then they will serve high quality ads, otherwise they're more likely to serve malware.
Google managed to show quality ads when they only did contextual ads a few years back so I don't really worry about the quality. The downside here might be that because the ads are displayed based on the content of your page they might be less relevant for your visitor which could result in fewer clicks.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 44219

Personalized ads are just ads that relate to the current website(Which is your site in this case) and whatever the theme of your site is will be related to that site's theme and whatever other sites the user has visited(As far as I know anyway). Non-Personalized essentially means that the user does not want ads related to the site or any other site's they've visited(Again, as far as I know).

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
@jenna appleseed No seriously. It is common knowledge to the point of being obvious these days, like describing the Earth as being round, but if you want to be will-fully ignorant, then whatever.

It is simply how things work. If an ad network doesn't think you're worth the value, then they will downgrade you. They are the ones with all the power these days. They will even do what they can to track you in the real world to correlate clicks with real world purchases.

Azareal

Paragon
Dec 18, 2010
Mars
gosora-project.com
FP$
Google managed to show quality ads when they only did contextual ads a few years back so I don't really worry about the quality. The downside here might be that because the ads are displayed based on the content of your page they might be less relevant for your visitor which could result in fewer clicks.
Bots are on the rise. Tracking you is literally how they can tell that you're a real user worth spending real money on. There are sorts of botnets out there who will what they can to defraud advertisers, Mirai was incidentally one of those towards the end.

So called "personalization" is just investor fuel and to get users to buy in.
Also, Google can and will ban you, if it finds your views fishy, so maybe, they have it better as they offload the responsibility partly to the webmaster.

Last edited: