Hi, I'm Scooter. Feel free to ask me some things.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
Well, what the heck. I'm not that private of a person, I guess...not to mention that people would have to be interested in me to find out more about me - and frankly, I'm not that interesting. ;) But I have been here for a while, and I don't want to derail any other topics by posting too much about myself in them. So...

Gather 'round and grab a comfortable chair, kiddies. Ask me stuff. I might answer.

w47268_monitoring.jpg

scooter

Reputable
FP$
How was the European Recovery Program in the 1940s more commonly known?

The Marshall Plan. Yes, not only do I run trivia games, I write all the questions, too.

Have you used a real scooter ?

No, I haven't. I was named for my resemblance to the muppet of that name. Granted, this was a long time ago...

scooter

Reputable
FP$
I have a cat, Comet. We found him on a street corner in Baltimore very late one evening in the middle of winter, some years ago. We took him in and he's been with us ever since.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
Watched Harry Potter ?
No. Obviously some of it has seeped in through the modern zeitgeist, but it just wasn't something that grabbed me in reading it. A good story, generally, but not one that really made me think of it as anything other than a children's series, so I never really did anything with the movies.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
Will you ever start a social network ?
Would really like to. I have an idea for one which, while not unique, is definitely underexplored as a concept - thus it would avoid head-on competition with the existing social media giants.

However, coding that website is a skill that I do not fully possess, and hiring people to do it would require more money than I have, or am likely to get in the short term...or even medium term.

Unless I manage to accidentally dazzle a venture capitalist in the coming months-to-years, it's doomed to remain a distant dream.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
What car do you own at this moment in time?
Right now, a 2004 (believe it or not) Toyota Camry. My mother no longer drives, so I got it from her. I think I've put almost as much mileage on it in the year and a half I've owned it as she had in the previous 15 or so. We have another car which is mostly used by my wife now.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
If you could spend the whole day with a famous person ( past or present ) who would it be and why?
There are so many possibilities. There are obvious ones that came to mind - Jefferson, Mao, Gandhi, the Christ, the Buddha. Gave a lot of thought to Socrates. Plenty of less obvious ones as well: Hunter Thompson, the Banu Musa, Leonhard Euler, or Hypatia. In the end, I would probably say Albert Einstein. Just the combination of scientific and philosophical knowledge would be wonderful to discuss.

The only celebrity I met and got tongue-tied around was Brooks Robinson.

scooter

Reputable
FP$
What changes in your life lead to a more positive outlook on life?
There are two main things. First, when I was just out of college, I more or less in desperation got a part-time help-desk job at an acquaintance's company, which started me on the path to my network engineering career. I'm indifferent to the profession now - it's a job, basically - but it did provide me with a paycheck for a good long time.

The second is getting married. That led to my lovely daughters, and to two other lovely marriages. (And now I suspect what the next questions will be addressing...) :angelic:

Do you like going to the movies or prefer watching at home?
Going out, usually. I like being out among people.

Sharon

Package Team Member
Package Team
Can you tell us about the best concert you've ever been to/seen?