• Hello Guest, we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties with our email system. Please expect a delay in email delivery.

Hi, I'm Scooter. Feel free to ask me some things.

scooter

Reputable
Well, what the heck. I'm not that private of a person, I guess...not to mention that people would have to be interested in me to find out more about me - and frankly, I'm not that interesting. ;) But I have been here for a while, and I don't want to derail any other topics by posting too much about myself in them. So...

Gather 'round and grab a comfortable chair, kiddies. Ask me stuff. I might answer.

w47268_monitoring.jpg

scooter

Reputable
How was the European Recovery Program in the 1940s more commonly known?

The Marshall Plan. Yes, not only do I run trivia games, I write all the questions, too.

Have you used a real scooter ?

No, I haven't. I was named for my resemblance to the muppet of that name. Granted, this was a long time ago...

scooter

Reputable
I have a cat, Comet. We found him on a street corner in Baltimore very late one evening in the middle of winter, some years ago. We took him in and he's been with us ever since.

scooter

Reputable
Watched Harry Potter ?
No. Obviously some of it has seeped in through the modern zeitgeist, but it just wasn't something that grabbed me in reading it. A good story, generally, but not one that really made me think of it as anything other than a children's series, so I never really did anything with the movies.

scooter

Reputable
Will you ever start a social network ?
Would really like to. I have an idea for one which, while not unique, is definitely underexplored as a concept - thus it would avoid head-on competition with the existing social media giants.

However, coding that website is a skill that I do not fully possess, and hiring people to do it would require more money than I have, or am likely to get in the short term...or even medium term.

Unless I manage to accidentally dazzle a venture capitalist in the coming months-to-years, it's doomed to remain a distant dream.

scooter

Reputable
What car do you own at this moment in time?
Right now, a 2004 (believe it or not) Toyota Camry. My mother no longer drives, so I got it from her. I think I've put almost as much mileage on it in the year and a half I've owned it as she had in the previous 15 or so. We have another car which is mostly used by my wife now.

scooter

Reputable
If you could spend the whole day with a famous person ( past or present ) who would it be and why?
There are so many possibilities. There are obvious ones that came to mind - Jefferson, Mao, Gandhi, the Christ, the Buddha. Gave a lot of thought to Socrates. Plenty of less obvious ones as well: Hunter Thompson, the Banu Musa, Leonhard Euler, or Hypatia. In the end, I would probably say Albert Einstein. Just the combination of scientific and philosophical knowledge would be wonderful to discuss.

The only celebrity I met and got tongue-tied around was Brooks Robinson.

scooter

Reputable
What changes in your life lead to a more positive outlook on life?
There are two main things. First, when I was just out of college, I more or less in desperation got a part-time help-desk job at an acquaintance's company, which started me on the path to my network engineering career. I'm indifferent to the profession now - it's a job, basically - but it did provide me with a paycheck for a good long time.

The second is getting married. That led to my lovely daughters, and to two other lovely marriages. (And now I suspect what the next questions will be addressing...) :angelic:

Do you like going to the movies or prefer watching at home?
Going out, usually. I like being out among people.