Hobbyist

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Arvid, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arvid

Arvid Addicted

+106
    Site Name: Hobbyist https://hobbyistworld.createaforum.com
    Date Opened: 26th December 2018
    Review Requested (Community Feedback, Basic or Advanced): Community
    Notes: I am constantly working on the site so every tiny bit of feedback counts.

2. Ash

Ash Seasoned Veteran

+432
    I'll start out with the obvious. If you're serious about this project, then I would recommend a domain because whilst you will still be able to get some members, a majority of users don't like joining free domain sites unless they are already large.

I don't know if it was done on purpose, but I kind of like your logo. It's simple and sort of suggests that the forum is carefree (in a good way) and fun, which would be a great place to relax at and just discuss things.

The number of sections you have is good although it might be nice to separate them into categories. Nothing major but it would make the page look nice and more organised. You could also remove the "Topics - " prefix from the name of some of the forum sections. It's not really necessary.

The last thing for me is the happy birthday and who's online section at the bottom. It looks quite weird taking up the whole width of the website at the bottom. If you could move it so it's just below the Hobbyist - Info Center section then it might look better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arvid

Arvid Addicted

+106
    A domain is something a lot of people tell me about but I don't want to start spending money just yet.

The logo was due to a user saying how the first logo looked dull and didn't scream 'Hobby'. The thing is, when I added colour, I made it so that each colour represented a part of Hobbyist, it's community and hobbies in general.

Version 1.0.3 is coming tomorrow which is going to seperate the boards into seperate categories. I haven't thought about removing the "Topics - " prefix but I will do that tomorrow for Version 1.0.3. Version 1.0.3 wil change the layout of the forum along with a new theme so better fix that.

Thanks for your response. I have taken all of your feedback and will make sure that most of it is addressed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Haze

Haze Paragon Package Team

+151
    Hey there @DanS - I know your site seems to be under maintenance mode as I'm looking at it right now so I'll only give my two cents on what I can see at this time but I'll return later to update my post for you. :)

Domain
    I'm going to echo @Ash by saying that a domain is important here - any for any site IMO - as it conveys a bit of seriousness about the project your undertaking. I know you said you didn't want to spend money but at the end of the day you can pick up a domain quite cheap from GoDaddy, I've seen a coupon for 0.99$ ones, which I always take advantage of! Obviously you'd need hosting as well for that but again with GoDaddy there is a 50% off hosting package. If I remember off the top of myt head their cheap package is £2.99 a year. so you could get that down to around £17 for a years hosting or £1.40 a month. Cheap as chips! I believe our dear lord @Cameron Taylor may also offer domains for FP$ which you could maybe aim for if you don't want to outlay yourself.

Note - Cameron may or may not offer domains, I haven't asked. :p

Logo
    For me, the logo echos the lack of a domain in terms of the professionalism feel of things (Not saying you're not interested/serious about the project however!) - it just feels like it was drawn, slapped together and then put up. For me, I feel like a logo needs to be a bit more consistent in its look and feel. The 'H' is massive whilst the 'y' is tiny and the 'S' looks like a 5 for example. I went on a couple Hobby sites, RCGrops, JetPhotos and Hobby Bunker to name a few to make sure I wasn't missing the point with your logo but all their logos are consistent and 'tidy' so to speak. I can understand Ash's point of the logo emitting a 'carefree' vibe but I feel you could encompass that in a logo that is a bit more coherent and tidy. I do agree th at your logo needs to hit that vibe and make your place fun, as I'm sure it is!

If you're struggling with getting a logo done - we have a Graphic Marketplace you could utilise! I'd be more than happy to swing some FP$ your way if you did want to have a look at having one of our lovely members help you out there.

I hope you don't think I'm being too critical! I look forward to seeing your forum when it's out of maintenance mode!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Arvid

Arvid Addicted

+106
    Thanks for the criticism as I accept any feedback. The thing is, I've put Hobbyist up for sale(You can buy it for £0.00 or $0.00). I will make a new logo in the meantime until someone picks it up.

6. Jerlene

Jerlene The Senseless Blogger Administrator

+723
  7. Jerlene

+723
    I actually find the logo to be cute, but it doesn't match the background much. What are you doing as far as maintenance goes? Is something big coming?

8. Arvid

Arvid Addicted

+106
    Hey, @Jerlene. You’re currently looking at an older Thread that I made back when I joined FP. Feel free to close this Thread now. I don’t have any Plans to bring back Hobbyist at the moment.

9. Jerlene

+723
    Alrighty. going to archive it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.