Administrator
May 11, 2010
Nashville, TN
www.camerontaylor.net
FP$
Pokemon Master
Like Badge
Cookie Badge
How many years are you guys paying for your domain(s) in advance? For example, if you needed to renew your domain today, you could go ahead and pay domain renewal fees for the next five years, if you wanted to go ahead and push the expiration date to 2026. Do you guys do this? Or do you take it year by year?

I've always heard that renewing your domain for a bunch of years in advance helps SEO, but I'm not sure how legitimate that claim is.

Empire

VIP Team Member
Jul 16, 2015
United Kingdom
www.baysidegamers.com
FP$
Cookie Badge
All my domains from the very start have been renewed far in advance :) however, the last two renewables haven't been. One year renewable. One of my Domains been moved to Namecheap and I have four years :) As for my others, well it's $18 a year now, and too much to go for three years at the moment.

End of the day I always renew my junk :p two weeks before expired.

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
I've always heard that renewing your domain for a bunch of years in advance helps SEO, but I'm not sure how legitimate that claim is.
That gotta be the most hot garbage thing I ever heard even as a website hosting provider. 👎

Additionally it's difficult to as a provider to be offering these at staggered price marks for multi-year agreements as something where just about any provider gotta lease from a reseller registrar where prices aren't the hottest to begin with.

It's not like my shared hosting offerings where I can offer discounts down to decade long pre-pays as there always ways to avail lump sums of money like that (buy out billing software, hardware, management agreements, better ad fill ups, etc).

Thus as a consumer I don't see you getting any rewards for doing so either. Just like I am not as a business operator and owner. :(

Cumulus

Marketing Team Leader 📊
Marketing Team
Oct 8, 2020
UK
FP$
Thank You Badge
That gotta be the most hot garbage thing I ever heard even as a website hosting provider. 👎
Yeah I must say that SEO point is utter nonsense haha - probably said by a sales rep for a domain registrar!

I normally take it year by year or sometimes a few years in advance to reduce workload / deadlines for renewals etc

Reactions: FriendlyPerson

FriendlyPerson

Reputable
Feb 22, 2021
Eastern US
FP$
Yeah I must say that SEO point is utter nonsense haha - probably said by a sales rep for a domain registrar!
Entirely agrees considering that it hard to find good registrars especially for resale.

I normally take it year by year or sometimes a few years in advance to reduce workload / deadlines for renewals etc
It's the only way to go for domains since as I said as a provider there no incentives to offer discounts on multi-years agreements so why bother if consumers are forced to pay the same price for 1 year as it is for 10?